Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013

Adirondackman is on a distinguished road
Re: Opinion - 79 Person 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Dude????
In my book, aka the dictionary, a dude is a dandy, a fop. I really hope that after all the time I've spent trying to develop some level of knowlede and ability with sailing I don't fall into the category of dandy or fop, or someone overly concerned with his appearance.
Just a little peak around will reveal an absolutely astounding array (how do you like that, an alliteration) of sailboat designs and most of the variety can be boiled down to the "where" and "how" questions.
Communicatons get difficult when words are not used correctly, so please don't "dude" me.
I Apologize. I know that you are just trying to help

Thanks - John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While Pearson 26s are solid little creatures, how can anyone possibly comment on its suitability for your first boat with an inkling of where it will be sailed, how you intend to use it and how many $$$ you are looking at.
I interpreted his question to be about a particular model, not asking about a particular boat. The clue is he did not give a price or condition or location. We told him about the characteristics of that model, not a particular boat, and referred him to other resources.

A first boat should be simple, solid, practical, inspiring and encouraging. There is a reason why Pearson was one of the most successful builders in its time. There is also a reason why many of the good sailors on this listserv started (and sometimes stay) with Pearsons - they cause you to want to continue sailing, they encourage you to take on challenging conditions. How does a new sailor feel when the forecast is 20 knots? If you own a Pearson, you are likely to be excited and enthusiastic, some other boat, you might rather stay ashore.

Quote:
Original sails means new sails, that's about $3,500.
There is absolutely no reason to buy new sails for a 35 year old boat, unless you plan to race it. Look on eBay or Craigslist just once. There is a very active market in quality, used sailing goods. You can buy a perfectly functional mainsail, jib or spinnaker for $200 or less. Why would anyone buy new sails for an older boat?

How do I know? Within the last year and a half, I bought 3 spinnakers for less than $600 total, a good used main for $225, and three jibs for under $300. So for the price of one new sail, I have a complete inventory. While they are not perfect, they are perfectly functional and allow me to sail my boat well in almost all conditions. It is not the end of the world if one rips - I'll either tape it up, or discard and pick up another one for $200. I also bought a perfectly functional spinnaker pole for $200, a whisker pole for $100 and a CQR anchor for $75.

Quote:
What else? It has an engine, but does it run, is it long shaft version.
Yea, Pearson 26s are solid little creatures. I just watched one being hacked up for the dump.
So, what do you conclude from that experience? You own a Pearson yourself. Did you make a mistake?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2013

James - Thanks alot. Sounds like you really know Sailing.

Good input like you have provided is the reason that I joined this site.

I'm making an offer on the Person
Old 04-15-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dude????
In my book, aka the dictionary, a dude is a dandy, a fop. I really hope that after all the time I've spent trying to develop some level of knowlede and ability with sailing I don't fall into the category of dandy or fop, or someone overly concerned with his appearance.
Just a little peak around will reveal an absolutely astounding array (how do you like that, an alliteration) of sailboat designs and most of the variety can be boiled down to the "where" and "how" questions.
Communicatons get difficult when words are not used correctly, so please don't "dude" me.
Sir, perhaps decaf?

Old 04-15-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

It seems like communication got tough way before dude ever got dropped.

Additionally- see #3, From "your book" or rather Merriam- Webster's

Main Entry: 1dude
Pronunciation: \ˈdüd also ˈdyüd\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1883
1 : a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner : dandy 2 : a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range ; especially : an Easterner in the West 3 : fellow, guy —sometimes used informally as a term of address
— dud·ish \ˈd(y)üd-ish\ adjective
— dud·ish·ly adverb

Try not to take this fellows question so personally.

I really have enjoyed sailing p26's. Ive had plenty o opportunities on 2 different friends boats. Very fun to sail. Plenty of boat for 2 to head to the Bahamas, or cruise locally. Plenty o boat for a few friends or whatever to daysail.

I have recently aquired a pearson renegade- moved out of a bristol. Like James- I feel like the typical pearson sailing experience is very positive. Not a lot of frustrated pearson owners/ sailors. The p26 is nice and fast too- for what it is. I would say this- there are tons if these- in reasonable shape. This isn't a boat that I personally would buy- planning to recore the decks for instance. Essentially- due to the quantity available- do not buy one that needs "surgery". No mast step Bullcrap, no deck core nonsense. Blisters- a few- whatever, but serious osmosis- no way. Worn sails/ tired rigging- no problem- no outboard- that's fine too- Craigslist has tons. Rudder bearings- just think of them as routine maintenance. There's no excuse for buying one if these that isn't "sail away" "turnkey". I mean dock lines, fenders, flares, life vests, air horn, fire extinguisher etc etc. this is a great boat to shop for, as they are plentiful.

Last edited by c. breeze; 04-15-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2013

Thanks - c.breeze