SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Completed my cruising sails inventory with 11 sails (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98472-completed-my-cruising-sails-inventory-11-sails.html)

jameswilson29 04-13-2013 01:46 PM

Completed my cruising sails inventory with 11 sails

With my most recent eBay purchase of an asym. spin., I completed my inventory of 11 sails for cruising (boat came with 4, all purchases were used sails):

1 Large symmetrical spinnaker
1 Small symmetrical spinnaker
1 Large asymmetrical spinnaker
2 Mainsails
6 Jibs: #1,#2,#3,#4,#5, and storm jib

I bought the asymmetrical for those days when the wind is at or forward of the beam and light to moderate.

I should be able to sail well on all points, upwind when the wind is about 5 knots or higher and downwind at about 10 knots or higher.:)

Lake Superior Sailor 04-13-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Completed my cruising sails inventory with 11 sails

How big is that craft? Sailing alone? Where do you keep all that sail?...Dale

jameswilson29 04-13-2013 02:22 PM

It is a Pearson 28. I usually sail solo. Sometimes, my wife and son will daysail with me. I cruise solo.

I removed the cushions from the forepeak and store all the sails there, along with the lifejackets.

Lake Superior Sailor 04-13-2013 02:32 PM

With my Cal 28 I have had to back off on stuff as it soon gets in the way! Just the safety stuff is a lot! I have been thinning out stuff that isn't used,while keeping important things! Not easy:...Dale

PCP 04-13-2013 02:42 PM

Want to buy some of mine? I have kevlar sails for sell and you seem to be a racer:D

MedSailor 04-13-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1016130)
With my most recent eBay purchase of an asym. spin., I completed my inventory of 11 sails for cruising (boat came with 4, all purchases were used sails):

1 Large symmetrical spinnaker
1 Small symmetrical spinnaker
1 Large asymmetrical spinnaker
2 Mainsails
6 Jibs: #1,#2,#3,#4,#5, and storm jib

I bought the asymmetrical for those days when the wind is at or forward of the beam and light to moderate.

I should be able to sail well on all points, upwind when the wind is about 5 knots or higher and downwind at about 10 knots or higher.:)

Remind me to NEVER be fore-deck on your boat! :D

Congrats on the new suit (of sails) looks great!!!

MedSailor

killarney_sailor 04-13-2013 05:54 PM

Seems like a lot of sails to me. I am assuming that you do not have a furler? For a circumnavigation on a 45 footer (40,000 lbs) with a removable inner stay, we have (comments based on 30,000+ blue water miles):

- main (Hood furling which was not new when we left and has done very well)
- trysail (own track, can be used as a spare main if necessary, but haven't used it yet)
- #2 for furler (North, new when we left and has been up for probably 27,000 miles)
- working jib for furler (used once, but mainly for a backup jib
- staysail (inner stay, used sometimes)
- storm jib (inner stay, never used)
- asymmetric (used fairly often, general purpose downwind sail, even almost directly downwind it has been a lot better than motoring or white sails)

c. breeze 04-13-2013 06:10 PM

I wouldn't make enough headsail changes to justify the inventory- now if I had crew we would probably be doing headsail changes or gibes anytime anyone looked a little too comfy or bored.

KnottyGurl 04-13-2013 07:22 PM

I just bought a furler and new 150 genoa just to loose the working jib, 135%, and the 150% due to the room taken up. So looking forward to the season

BubbleheadMd 04-13-2013 07:51 PM

James, you got an unhealthy obsession with canvas.