SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Completed my cruising sails inventory with 11 sails

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  JonEisberg 
#1 · (Edited)
With my most recent eBay purchase of an asym. spin., I completed my inventory of 11 sails for cruising (boat came with 4, all purchases were used sails):

1 Large symmetrical spinnaker
1 Small symmetrical spinnaker
1 Large asymmetrical spinnaker
2 Mainsails
6 Jibs: #1,#2,#3,#4,#5, and storm jib

I bought the asymmetrical for those days when the wind is at or forward of the beam and light to moderate.

I should be able to sail well on all points, upwind when the wind is about 5 knots or higher and downwind at about 10 knots or higher.:)

#7 ·
Seems like a lot of sails to me. I am assuming that you do not have a furler? For a circumnavigation on a 45 footer (40,000 lbs) with a removable inner stay, we have (comments based on 30,000+ blue water miles):

- main (Hood furling which was not new when we left and has done very well)
- trysail (own track, can be used as a spare main if necessary, but haven't used it yet)
- #2 for furler (North, new when we left and has been up for probably 27,000 miles)
- working jib for furler (used once, but mainly for a backup jib
- staysail (inner stay, used sometimes)
- storm jib (inner stay, never used)
- asymmetric (used fairly often, general purpose downwind sail, even almost directly downwind it has been a lot better than motoring or white sails)

#13 ·
Why two main sails? Is one a try-sail? Is one made of lighter fabric?

It'll be interesting to see how often you use all of them. I like having a selection of headsails to choose from, but a spinnaker, #1, #3, and storm jib seems like an adequate selection on a coastal cruiser.

#16 ·
Why two main sails? Is one a try-sail? Is one made of lighter fabric?
No, the second main is a backup sail, in case the first one becomes unuseable on a trip. In conditions where I would use a trysail, I would be flying a storm jib or my #4 or #5 only. The boat will sail upwind with jib alone.

It'll be interesting to see how often you use all of them. I like having a selection of headsails to choose from, but a spinnaker, #1, #3, and storm jib seems like an adequate selection on a coastal cruiser.
Yes, when cruising, I most often fly the #1 and #3, the large spinnaker and the main, but it is nice to have other selections available for particular conditions.

#18 ·
Where do you store all that canvas. I have a main with 3 reef points on the boom, a 135% Genoa on a furler, a staysail in its bag in its locker and a cruising shute in the same locker. in fact during the last three years the staysail and CS have not been used, that's over 15k miles. But then I am a lazy sailor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.