Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Color coded dock lines?

A new boat appeared in the marina about a year ago. I only noticed it because it's brand new dock lines were color coded Red on Port, blue on Starboard (I assumed), with the unused line meticulously coiled one the dock. I thought...Somebody's got too much time on their hands, must be a new boat for them.
Walked by the other day and saw what's in the pictures. I guess the bloom is off the rose! Soon, I'll bet he will be using the cliché about the two happiest days of his life.
I now realize that the red lines are on Starboard, and the Blue (I assumed they didn't have green lines at WM) are on Port, which makes even less sense than it did originally.
Anyway...any practical reason to color code dock lines?
Attached Thumbnails
Color coded dock lines?-0413131005.jpg   Color coded dock lines?-0413131005a.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 04-13-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Re: Color coded dock lines?

I'm a new boat owner and I am dressing up my O'day with colored running rigging and will be adding colored dock lines. Bow and stern lines will be blue and spring lines will be red.
Reason for the colored dock lines is to be able to pick them out from my neighbors on the pilings and when I do I will easily know which one is the longer spring line.
The main reason for the colored lines is the Admiral thinks they dress up the plain whiteness of the boat.
Melrna likes this.
Old 04-13-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward H View Post
I'm a new boat owner and I am dressing up my O'day with colored running rigging and will be adding colored dock lines. Bow and stern lines will be blue and spring lines will be red.
Reason for the colored dock lines is to be able to pick them out from my neighbors on the pilings and when I do I will easily know which one is the longer spring line.
The main reason for the colored lines is the Admiral thinks they dress up the plain whiteness of the boat.
Colour coded running rigging makes a lot of sense - "pull another two feet on the blue line". Don't just do it to make the boat pretty - think about it first and get good colour choice & separation. It's very useful for sailing with inexperienced people.

Port spinnaker halyard - red line
Starboard spinnaker halyard - green line
Jib halyard - blue line

and so on.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-13-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Not the dumbest idea to colour code dock lines, but I would do it by length, not function. Really helps when you need to grab an extra dock line whether it is a 50 footer or a 35 footer.
L124C likes this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I will be adding colored flags to my springlines, and adding corresponding marks to the mid-ship cleats. This will allow me (and my visitors/crew/kids) to easily identify the springline when it's on the hook with the stern line, and to easily figure out where it goes. So, I won't be color coding by side of the boat, but rather by function, much like the running rigging discussed above.
L124C likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Color coded dock lines?

I went for both looks and function.
Red spring lines - 25'
Blue Bow and stern lines - 15'
Halyards and topping lift - white with color tracer
Sheets and reefing -solid color to match tracer
Main is Blue, Jib is red and T / L & reefing is green. Vang, downhaul and outhaul are black.
If i put too much thought in it, it was a long winter.

Last edited by Ward H; 04-14-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I am with killarney- there is a crapload of value in colour-coding docklines in addition to running rigging.

Especially if you sail with greenhorn crew regularly. Having said that, make sure that there is a clear and definite colour difference between your running rigging and your dock lines.
It can be a little awkward attempting to dock and tie off the bow with the red dock line when red also happens to be the colour of the jib halyard. #LFMF.

Further, when one is a BFLBCADFMF (Bottom Feeding Low-Buck Cheap-Ass Deal Finding MoFo- which is not an insult, but a title to be worn with honour,) sometimes lines simply LOOK colour-coded- if 15' red and 25' blue and 30' green are in the "clearance" bin makred down to too-cheap-to-pass-up...
us bottom feeders are gonna use them and make up schmidt to justify their colours.
killarney_sailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Further, when one is a BFLBCADFMF (Bottom Feeding Low-Buck Cheap-Ass Deal Finding MoFo- which is not an insult, but a title to be worn with honour,) sometimes lines simply LOOK colour-coded- if 15' red and 25' blue and 30' green are in the "clearance" bin makred down to too-cheap-to-pass-up...
us bottom feeders are gonna use them and make up schmidt to justify their colours.
That's more or less the reason the bow/spring lines are one color and stern lines are another color on my boat. Same goes for the fenders, except the port side has one color and the starboard side has another color (so the casual observer won't notice the mix-and-match fenders).

Coolest example of such I ever saw as a short blurb about a racing dinghy in Latitude 38. Seems the owner had a couple of cans of left over paint laying around, but not enough to paint the entire hull one color. So, he painted the port side one color, and the starboard side another color. Then he painted a different name and either side of the boat and confused the bejesus out of the rest of the fleet whenever he changed tacks --- "Where did boatX go??? And where did boatY come from?????!?!!?".
killarney_sailor likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-15-2013

I leave my lines attached to the dock so I know what goes where and they are always the correct length. Though, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind being able to distinguish the two spring lines. As far as the usefulness of coding running rigging...well, I think thats fairly obvious.
Old 04-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Not the dumbest idea to color code dock lines, but I would do it by length, not function. Really helps when you need to grab an extra dock line whether it is a 50 footer or a 35 footer.
True.
However, it would appear the colors of the lines in the OP had nothing to do with length!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.