Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Good Deck Shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
West Marine might have upped their quality control, but my older (4 yrs?) WM boat shoe soles have gotten harder and developed a glaze. They are not longer "grabby" and are slippery even on dry land. This has been the case with at least 2 pairs of WM boat shoes.

I will stick with the authentic Sperrys, which have always kept their grip.
Ditto.
I have worn Sperrys for decades, and recieved a pair of WM shoes as a gift in 2009. They were completely worn out and hardened by the middle of 2012. My latest pair of Sperrys, that were purchased in 2008, are still grippy but ugly as sin, covered in paint and varnish.

Thanks to the folks at Crocs, i will be testing a pair of these this season;

Crocs

I'll let you know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

My current favorite summer deck shoes are Keens, but not just any keens, they have to have the correct sole.

Of all the deck shoes and sailing boots I have used over the years there is one commonality in the ones that had the best grip, and that is the Sperry Topsider style herringbone grooved soles or some variation. That is what I look for in any footwear I buy for sailing. I tried to find images online to show what I am talking about, but surprisingly, nobody seems to think showing what kind of sole a shoe has is important to their marketing! So I snapped a pic of my 3 current boat shoes; the standard "sea boot", Keens sandals, and Sperry Topsiders. All 3 of these give me fantastic grip, even on wet, 35 year old non-skid on a heeling boat. The thing all of these have in common is that they are fairly soft rubber compounds, and the grooves all open up when the shoe is flexed. It is all about surface contact, and a chunky, aggressive tread just doesn't cut it on a boat!

jackdale likes this.
Hull#101
Old 04-14-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Ditto.
I have worn Sperrys for decades, and recieved a pair of WM shoes as a gift in 2009. They were completely worn out and hardened by the middle of 2012. My latest pair of Sperrys, that were purchased in 2008, are still grippy but ugly as sin, covered in paint and varnish.

Thanks to the folks at Crocs, i will be testing a pair of these this season;

Crocs

I'll let you know how it goes.
Huh. Crocs are trying to diversify. I might look at those shoes if they weren't so ugly! I don't know why, but when I look at those shoes and think boats, the image of a Bayliner Buccaneer comes to mind! Must be the windows!
Hull#101
Old 04-14-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Last several years we have managed to stay in very warm water, so bare feet do the trick. Our decks are pretty wide open and when you are on the boat all the time you get pretty good at avoiding toe hazards. We wear Crocs too. Once you get used used to the dorkiness they are very comfortable. Very common in the cruising community.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-14-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
West Marine might have upped their quality control, but my older (4 yrs?) WM boat shoe soles have gotten harder and developed a glaze. They are not longer "grabby" and are slippery even on dry land. This has been the case with at least 2 pairs of WM boat shoes.

I will stick with the authentic Sperrys, which have always kept their grip.
Yeah, I had the exact same problem with both a pair of Sperry Billfish after two seasons, and a high $ pair of Sperry performance deck shoes after one seasons use. The "high" performance shoes were never worn off the boat and were bought mid season so were only worn about 10-12 days. The next season I put them on, and it was like wearing dutch clogs. Just like an ice rink.

Not sure what I'll try next but it won't be Sperry's.
Old 04-14-2013

DragonAUS192 is on a distinguished road

Slazenger Volleys - nothing beats their grip on a wet deck. And in Australia they cost less than $20.00 a pair. Equates to 12 pairs for the cost of one pair of deck shoes from France.
Old 04-14-2013
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road

Jack Purcell sneakers, smooth treadless bottoms.
Very seldom wear them off the boat; when I do, don't have to worry about picking up debris.
Traction when wet is better than when dry.
Paul
Old 04-14-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Yes, Sperry deck shoes glaze and harden after about 3-4 years. There's a simple solution:

Wear them around town after the first 2 years and by new deck shoes.

Seriously, we are always buying new "round town" sneakers. Just let the deck shoes finish their lives on the sidewalk.
SchockT likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

sperries- stay on the boat. when they die become shoes to wear leaving the boat.
Keen sandals- if in/out of the dignhy alot- got big fat wide feet. toe guard pretty good in keeping pebbles out. Nice and wide
wet cell diving booties with side zippers - if in/out water and cold or cold but not yet stormy.shed grit/pebbles real well. anything razor cut doesn't
Dubarries-expense sucks but worth the money - mold to your feet- warm and comfy. treat them like a delicate flower and can many years out of them until soles goes bad
Old 04-14-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I like Keen sandals for use off the boat except for the difficulty getting rid of little stones when you are walking off pavement. My Keens are de-laminating after a few years. Just bought some Keen knockoffs at Costco for $25. They are very comfortable but don't know how they will stand up, but the price was right.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.