Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

GMC is on a distinguished road
Chicks +1

As earlier mentioned , high top Chucks. Most versatile shoe on the market. Canvas breathes and dries. I like black. I embarrass my family, but function over form.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Good Deck Shoes?

I've worn Sperry's since I was in early grade school. The old traditional style. I had a friend laugh when he saw me with a pair of sneakers on when I was in my 30s. Said he had never seen it before. I would only wear them for exercise or sports.

Recently, however, I think the quality of Sperry's has deteriorated. They always lasted years, but I've had seams separate in the first season. I also received the standard pair of traditional Sperry's for Fathers Day a year or two back, with the razor siping sole. I actually think they were counterfeit. The soles were so slippery, they simply can't be worn on deck. The original soles stuck well. Something was wrong.

I now predominantly wear a pair of Sperry Billfish when aboard. They have an open tread, so they aren't as good at keeping dirt off the boat, but they grip the deck nicely and are more comfortable than the traditional. Still, I've blown through a pair in one season, although, my current pair have lasted two.

Amazon.com: Billfish Boat Shoe: Shoes Amazon.com: Billfish Boat Shoe: Shoes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-14-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i have tried everything. omega reef warriors were awesome. omega is out of business. oh well.
sperrys slider make ye fall..not good. slick stuff
there are no shoes for boats--i go barefoot, and no sliding.
in winter in coldville i used to wear uggs ...lol....they have absolutely no antiskid...not that sperry is any better,, for what it is worth....the sperry shoes were as slick as my uggs. sad to say.

BAREFOOOOOT!!!!!!

as all decks are different, and all feet are different, each individual trying to not slide on deck needs to figure out what is most comfortable for their own feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 04-14-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Like foul weather gear, I think spending the extra for quality is usually money well spent, in the end...

With shoe manufacturers constantly updating their styles, last year's shoes are pretty easy to find at a deep discount, as soon as the new models arrive on the shelves... Keep an eye on the Sale Rack at a place like Annapolis Performance Sailing, one can often score a great deal on shoes...

My current favorites are these by SLAM, that I picked up last year at APS for about half their original price... REALLY nice shoes, very comfortable and secure, with a removable insole - the Italians sure know how to make footwear, alright...

I also picked up a pair of seaboots that SLAM discontinued a few years ago, though I can't imagine why... Very lightweight, easy to put on and take off, most comfortable seaboots I've ever had...
Old 04-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've worn Sperry's since I was in early grade school. The old traditional style. I had a friend laugh when he saw me with a pair of sneakers on when I was in my 30s. Said he had never seen it before. I would only wear them for exercise or sports.

Recently, however, I think the quality of Sperry's has deteriorated. They always lasted years, but I've had seams separate in the first season.
Ever since they started making them in China they don't seem to last. They still make them in the US but they are crazy expensive and I think you have order them direct. I wonder if they can't use the same stabilizers or something. Back in the 70's I wore them for years but no more. 10 months and they are like ice skates in the wet.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-14-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
West Marine might have upped their quality control, but my older (4 yrs?) WM boat shoe soles have gotten harder and developed a glaze. They are not longer "grabby" and are slippery even on dry land. This has been the case with at least 2 pairs of WM boat shoes.

I will stick with the authentic Sperrys, which have always kept their grip.
I have had several pairs of WM that go from fairly good non skid to something that you could coat things with and sell in an infommercial. It's simply amazing how hazardous they become. Even slippery on carpet and rough cement sidewalks.
Old 04-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rugged Shark Marlin for falll spring- great sticky sneaker
Rugged Shark Shoes ? Aggressive Footwear for Serious Anglers ? Shoes for Fishing, Boating and Casual Wear

I also like Slam gear. Got mine 1/2 price at Annap Performance great for summer, ventilated
SLAM Code 1 - Grey / Silver - Unisex: Mauri Pro Sailing

I also like Billfish for Dress.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Recently, however, I think the quality of Sperry's has deteriorated. They always lasted years, but I've had seams separate in the first season. I also received the standard pair of traditional Sperry's for Fathers Day a year or two back, with the razor siping sole. I actually think they were counterfeit. The soles were so slippery, they simply can't be worn on deck. The original soles stuck well. Something was wrong.
Not counterfeit - just different. After complaining about the same thing happening to me over here (the complete lack of grip got to be extremely dangerous!), I was told that Sperrys are now made by Sebago and are more for the fashion market than boating..

I have since switched to Dubarry and can't be more impressed with their grip. I can now walk safely up a wet, slippery, steeply canting deck and could never hope to do that in my Sperrys!
Old 04-14-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes, Sperry deck shoes glaze and harden after about 3-4 years. There's a simple solution:

Wear them around town after the first 2 years and by new deck shoes.

Seriously, we are always buying new "round town" sneakers. Just let the deck shoes finish their lives on the sidewalk.
Yeah, that's what I've done in the past, but I don't particularly want to wear dock shoes around town especially ones billed as great boat shoes.

I had a pair of WM sandals that had tenacious grip for well over 6 years. They gipped the deck so well sometimes your feet would slide sideways out of them, but they never slipped on the deck. If WM can do that you have to ask yourselves why Sperry can't, and I think the answer is obvious.

I'll wear plain sneakers for casual wear around town and find something that works on the boat for more than one season.
Old 04-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

In the summer, I do prefer barefoot underway. However, I want good shoes when near shore in any form: docking or boarding dinghy. Lots of opps to land a foot on an objectionable surface. I also like a good pair when I've been standing in one place at the helm for an extended period, my feet get sore now. I recall the days of standing at parade rest for hours. No more.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.