Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

Dave Montgomery is on a distinguished road
1300 hrs. on sailboat engine in 23 years??

Ok, here is a strange question (or not). I am looking to buy a boat here in the PacNW that is 23 years old (built in 1990). The boat has had four owners and was in a timeshare yacht club for two years. The boat is listed as having approx. 1300 hrs. on the motor meter. What to you folks think? Sound about right... low? Thoughts?

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1300 hrs. on sailboat engine in 23 years??

I don't know, my 35 yo 4-108 has 2750hrs, so, I'd say plausible

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 04-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've heard that the average is around 100 hours per year so it's low. Also, that ownership history kind of implies heavier than normal usage.

Definitely in the realm of possibility though - lots of boats sit at the dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-14-2013

Emmalina is on a distinguished road

I would say as long as you have no smoke and the oil smells good I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think I have about 15k on mine getting a bit smokey but ok for another 5 years I think LOL
Old 04-14-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I have a 35 year old Perkins 4.108 with 2097 hrs. I put 544 hrs on her since 2008.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-14-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Prior to the purchase of our vessel we not only had a boat survey but also had a separate engine survey conducted as the total number of engine hours didn't add up..
Old 04-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Prior to the purchase of our vessel we not only had a boat survey but also had a separate engine survey conducted as the total number of engine hours didn't add up..
This is a very good idea, as nearly all primary surveys disclaim the engine. They look for leaks, make sure it starts, goes in gear, etc. Pretty much only the stuff you could do yourself.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-14-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

I had a 30 year old boat that had just under 1,200 hours on the original engine (Westerbeke 21). The boat was not a dock queen. Believe it or not, some foks actually sail their boats. I know I do. When the wind dies down, I just go....slower.

Seriously, if the motor was mostly used to get in and out of the marina and the boat was used for day sailing and fairly short cruises, then the engine hours are certainly plausible.

But, I'm not sure that low hours for an old diesel is necessarily a good thing. Experts will have to chime in, but I understand they like to run..

I second the advice you've gotten on having a separate engine survey. In my mind, it's worth every cent you'll pay for it.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 04-14-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

If the boat was used for coastal cruising, the hours sound low. Most coastal cruisers use their engine way more than they'd like to admit, and even if you are willing to sail no matter what and sail no matter how slow, if you are anchoring out you need some engine time to keep the batteries up. Believe me the wind always blows from wherever you are headed, and then shifts to do the same on your way back

If the boat was mostly used for day sails, then it's possible, but I'd bet it was a dock queen for a number of its years.
Old 04-14-2013

misfits is on a distinguished road

I know up here in the northeast the average weekend boater will put 50 hours a season on the motor. So the math is close to what you're seeing for hours on the boat in question.