Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Unless cleaned and sanitized in the proper way wooden cutting boards are more likely to harbor bacteria in the cracks and crevices than the plastic ones. In many areas the health departments do not all them in commercial kitchens. I suggest a minor expenditure and by new plastic ones.

(I expect t37chef my friend o is agree as it is a topic we both have differing views)

One thing we both would agree upon is that the board needs to be free of grooves and places which would prevent good cleaning and that good sanitation techniques are required no matter hat material. Sanding plastic will open the pores o allow fools debris to be trapped and encourage
bacteria.

USDA Food Code allows both wood and plastc
Dave
Hi Dave,

We certainly agree that whatever material is used must be easily cleanable.
I have found little scientific evidence though that wood is " more likely" to harbor pathogens than plastic.

In industry, the biggest issues I see with plastic boards are: That they are often allowed to remain in service too long after becoming scarred and stained. And, that they are often put away wet and stacked, rather than allowed to " air dry" vertically and not touching. My university's micro-lab has done extensive testing on this stacking vs. standing issue.

The FDA issues the Food Code and the USDA contributes. It's guidance to industry. I suspect that those health departments that have banned wood have done so for a variety of reasons: The " old" wood-top tables that were often poorly maintained and required cleaning and sanitizing " in place".
And, that plastic boards hold up better under repeated high temperature sanitizing in dishmachines than wood, and therefore are more likely to be sent to the machine by the user than wood. Health departments take a risk-based approach and typically don't trust that people will use the proper dillution rates, contact times and air drying for chemical sanitization. In either case, the industry has gone to plastic. Plastic is also less expensive.

For Home use, there was this study done by some folks at UCDavis:
UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

Like you said, Either material works, as long as it's easily cleanable, and handled properly.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Yes I agree,

Since the topic is for boat use I still suggest that the plastic ones re the ones most easily sanitized by boars and more likely to be replaced when necessary than the wooden ones.

I would be very few people with wooden ones bleach them after use or even wash, rinse and sanitize them properly

On Haleakula our decorative vanished and protected butcher-block cutting board sits on our stove top. We have a small thin light weight inexpensive ( Less than %10) plastic board to put on top when knife magic is required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-15-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...that the plastic ones re the ones most easily sanitized by boars and more likely to be replaced when necessary than the wooden ones...
Now, I've heard of crew "living like pigs" and "acting like pigs," but I've never seen actual pigs as crew doing galley chores...

Sorry, Dave, I couldn't resist
chef2sail, CalebD, bljones and 1 others like this.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 04-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Ask for offcuts at a plastics place.. they will often have partial sheets or off cuts at a bargain price.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-15-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

+1 on the suggestion about cut-outs. In addition to the plastics places, check with kitchen countertop installers.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 04-15-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes I agree,

Since the topic is for boat use I still suggest that the plastic ones re the ones most easily sanitized by boars and more likely to be replaced when necessary than the wooden ones.

I would be very few people with wooden ones bleach them after use or even wash, rinse and sanitize them properly

On Haleakula our decorative vanished and protected butcher-block cutting board sits on our stove top. We have a small thin light weight inexpensive ( Less than %10) plastic board to put on top when knife magic is required.
This is exactly the point I disagree with you about Dave. I agree that using wood in a commercial kitchen more often than not does not make sense, economically or safety...on a boat however where most do NOT have a high temp dishwasher, I don't like plastic. I would never bleach my wooden cutting boards anyway, only soapy water and rinse followed by a white vinegar rinse. Wood has absorbing qualities plastic does not, thats the most basic difference...if you remove or reduce the moisture from the boards a pathogen it will die just like a dried food, cured foods, etc.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 04-15-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

OK got my new board which is oversize. What kind of jigsaw blade should I use?
Old 04-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
OK got my new board which is oversize. What kind of jigsaw blade should I use?
Cut a plywood template and use a router with a tall enough laminate trimming bit.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-15-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried to grow plants under a pine or spruce tree? It won't happen. That's why wood is superior as cutting board. The sap kills the bacteria.
Old 04-15-2013

Selkie60 is on a distinguished road

I recently received a Corian cutting board that came with the following cleaning instructions, which might be applicable to other types of plastic cutting boards...

"Stubborn stains rub off with an abrasive household cleanser and a Scotch-Brite pad. Even tougher stains disappear using fine grade (180-220 grit) sandpaper. Buffing afterwards with a Scotch-Brite pad will return the surface to its original matte finish."