Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Actually I think home kitchens are far more bacteria laden than commercial kitchens. Many in the industry are aware of the food handling rules such as cook to temps, reheat temps, sanitizing , amount of time to keep leftovers , cooling of foods and they are inspected and required to have t least one person there during operation hours certified.

The reasons are obvious. They prepare food a head of time for service maybe the next day where t home it's usually, prepare, cook, eat in one process. They are also responsible or getting large numbers sick at once where t home it just a small few. These re just a few reasons.

I have found very few people understand how to handle food or clean and sanitize properly at home. Very few know cook o, reheat temps to kill bacteria. Most cool down or thaw improperly. Lots of cross contamination issues. People do crazy things like leave opened peanut butter and butter unrefrigerated. Cool pots of soup on the counter. Don't date or follow dates of food in the reefer. Most don't use gloves when preparing foods. Most don't wash clean and sanitize when preparing or using cutting boards through the process of switching tasks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

We're drifting away from the OP (but it's still a good discussion...)

While the points are valid, I am not as cautious as Dave advocates. Cross contamination is a risk, but we aren't going to make our kitchen/galley a level 4 bio containment area. If we do drop the ball and wind up with a bacteria problem, we're talking about a little intestinal distress for short while and it will have absolutely no impact on my income (unlike a commercial kitchen, and today's "you can't swing a cat without hitting an ambulance chasing lawyer" society which is a really bad combo.) Mind you, we clean as we go and have a dedicated meat board which is only used for raw meat and a couple of small chopping boards for everything else so we aren't ignoring safe practices -- just not getting anally retentive about it.

I also happen to have convinced myself that a little bacteria is a good thing -- it keeps the immune system strong. (Probably whistling through the graveyard, but it works for me.)

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 04-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

having been in many restaurant kitchens for whatever reasons.......it all depends on the integrity of he owner how clean and tidy the place really is...i have seen some stuff......lol

there are very few folks who deliberately prepare their own food in squalor...

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 04-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
in addition, your question whether or not boater actually wash and sanitize their cutting boards on a boat is EXACTLEY the reason I would advocate the use of wood due to it ability to absorb water and dry, therefore leaving a unsustianable area for bacteria growth.

To each their own, different perspectives and thoughts, up to the individual to make an educated decision. I will continue to use wood cutting boards at home and on the boat

You know we won't agree on this and will remain friends and dock mates.

I have read your reasoning and partially agree. I do understand you reasoning and have read your one study from Cal Davis numerous times. I do follow the USDA Food Code which does allow use of wood when PROPERLY sanitized.

I have to explain my thinking though
Quote:
addition, your question whether or not boater actually wash and sanitize their cutting boards on a e I would advocate the use of wood due to it ability to absorb water and dry- T37chef
We both agree the wood is porous and will absorb water. It will also absorb blood and protein liquid also. So lets look at a common scenario on a boat or home kitchen with one cutting board and multiple prep items with your AVERAGE boater who does not really follow good sanitization rules like a trained professional would.

We are making beef stew. So we take the wood cutting board and maybe start by spraying with vinegar to sanitize ( highly doubtful) and proceed to cut and cube the meat for browning. In the perfect world when done cutting meat we wash , rinse , spray with vinegar before we begin the next task. Now here's where it gets tricky as the reasoning he board dries better so there is no moisture or bacteria. We immediately proceed to use the board to cut vegetables. By admitting the board is more porous than plastic it has absorbed some of the blood through the small capillaries the wood has. Now you cut vegetables on it.....cross contamination....a plastic cutting board would not be porous and therefore would not keep the blood proteins. A person is more likely to change a cheap plastic cutting board when it is old and gouged than a custom one. If I could trust the average person to wash rinse and sanitize properly I might agree.

Lastly I want to make I understand wood advocates say that a porous wood board which absorbs moisture when left to air dry drys faster and more completely than a plastic non porous board. That's hard to beleive and makes no sense. Seeing as moisture is one of the required components for bacterial growth, how does this fit in.

I like consistency. If its good enough for most of the industry to use plastic, for whatever reason ( despite both can be used by FDA Code) why have two different sets of rules. If anyone should be using wood it is the industry professionals who have a better chance of using proper sanitation techniques than the average boater, house husband/wife, child etc.

Thanks all for the discussion of different views with respect. On this issue it appears some of us may just have to agree to disagree

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-16-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I dont get your example of Cross Contamination as I assume the vegetables you mentioned being cut after the beef are to be used in the stew? Which properly made will simmer at 180 degrees for at least an hour or more LOL

Anyway, as mentioned we will agree to disagree about the use of wooden cutting boards vs. plastic for home/boat use.

I would router the edges of that new cutting board the OP wants to fit to their sink

Sorry for the off topic rant!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I dont get your example of Cross Contamination as I assume the vegetables you mentioned being cut after the beef are to be used in the stew? Which properly made will simmer at 180 degrees for at least an hour !
It was the vegetables for the salad too, as well as the cantaloupe for dessert. Neither will be cooked any further

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-16-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

chef, I don't know how you make beef stew, but if you:
1-Cube the beef on the cutting board
2-continue your prep by dicing the veggies on the same board
3-Brown the meat then
4-Add the veggies and meat together into the stewpot

Isn't the cross-contamination really minimal? As those veggies hit the stewpot, perhaps a whole 15 minutes after the meat was cubed, aren't they going to be cooked and "sanitized" the same way that the meat was sanitizing by browning it?

If you are not leaving things to stand around all day, I don't see an issue here. And if you have organized your prep, by dicing the veggies BEFORE the meat, then the question of contamination is eliminated, isn't it?

Which all comes back to the larger issue, that especially with an older generation of less-informed cooks, if you simply understand what's going on, you can control it much better.

(Crossposting)
Cantalope ?! The infamous germ-laden killer? Forget the cutting boards, how many folks even suspect there is an issue with literally decontaminting the outside of melons and everything they've contacted, because of concerns with fecal matter in the fields?

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
It was the vegetables for the salad too, as well as the cantaloupe for dessert. Neither will be cooked any further
Well now youre just being silly You only said vegetables, nothing about dessert fruit and salad vegetables. I think most with any sense of reality would not cut their salad vegetables after raw meat on the same board, plastic or wood...although I do enjoy a beef carpaccio ever now and then...with raw vegetable! OMG on a hot summer day, sliced beef tenderloin carpaccio or tuna tartar, now were talking!
jimgo likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-16-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

OK, guys, the real solution is just going to have to be an EPA-mandated ban of unregistered cutting boards. Unlicensed civilians will be required to use the Saran (brand) disposable cutting sheets, which Saran will have to bring back into production:

Amazon.com: Saran Disposable Cutting Sheets, 20-pack: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Saran Disposable Cutting Sheets, 20-pack: Kitchen & Dining

Pricey, but you can't beat the cleanup.

Of course, disposable knives will have to be required, let's not forget those are cross-contamination sources as well as the sponges and schmatas often used to wipe them down.
Old 04-16-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

cross contamination-----
raw chicken then veggies or fruit or anything else.
wood must be cleaned, as does anything else used after chicken.
veggies to fruit--sounds like a weird religion or phobia thing not a germ warfare thing.
i survived germ warfare--i ate in hospitals...LOL

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward