SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98505-restoring-those-plastic-sink-cover-cutting-board-things.html)

Dave Montgomery 04-14-2013 10:00 PM

Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Anybody ever try to restore those whiteish, plasticy cutting board things so many boats come with that cover the sinks. The ones on the boat I am courting, we are not married but we have met with our pastor (surveyor), look like something you'd wipe your shoes on. So, has anyone ever tired to sand them or something to improve their looks?

Dave

bljones 04-14-2013 10:12 PM

Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

P&R.
Pitch and Replace.
A cheap HDPM cutting board that is DNTRS(Damn near the right size) might cost you $10. Your time is worth more.

CalebD 04-14-2013 10:13 PM

Try cleaning them and sanding them. That kind of material is workable with most power tools.
Additionally, you may be able to find a new plastic (hdpe?) cutting board (or 2) that could be cut down and milled to fit the sink you want to cover.

PorFin 04-14-2013 10:27 PM

If the cutting board is the most pressing issue with the boat, you have found a real gem!

I'm with Jonesy and Caleb -- make a new one as your very first boat project.

Tempest 04-14-2013 11:00 PM

You could also use a thick hardwood cutting board/butcher block, slightly larger than the sink bowl and route the underside to fit inside the rim of the sink, like a lid.

Dave Montgomery 04-14-2013 11:00 PM

Well making new ones does sound like a pretty good idea... though I will try sanding them first because that would be a great deal cheaper and easier than the cutting and routing and sanding it would take to make new ones that fit in these odd shaped sinks. Also, this is certainly not the only issue, ha! I didn't want to overwhelm you folks with the list :-)). Thanks for the ideas!

rugosa 04-14-2013 11:34 PM

Once you sand it, it's done and will attract more dirt, bacteria, sludge than before. This is a simple task and doable with limited tools and skills. IMHO - replace it.

chef2sail 04-15-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 1016545)
You could also use a thick hardwood cutting board/butcher block, slightly larger than the sink bowl and route the underside to fit inside the rim of the sink, like a lid.

Unless cleaned and sanitized in the proper way wooden cutting boards are more likely to harbor bacteria in the cracks and crevices than the plastic ones. In many areas the health departments do not all them in commercial kitchens. I suggest a minor expenditure and by new plastic ones.

(I expect t37chef my friend o is agree as it is a topic we both have differing views)

One thing we both would agree upon is that the board needs to be free of grooves and places which would prevent good cleaning and that good sanitation techniques are required no matter hat material. Sanding plastic will open the pores o allow fools debris to be trapped and encourage
bacteria.

USDA Food Code allows both wood and plastc
Dave

copacabana 04-15-2013 06:03 AM

Try soaking it in pure bleach. It should come out clean and white. If the board is not too scored from knives it'll look like new. If it's scored, chuck it and make a new one as suggested above.

zeehag 04-15-2013 08:17 AM

they are cheap--buy another and start over. i use a wood board with a plastic one on top for cutting and chopping....and i buy a new plastic one as needed. heck they even have them in mexico...lol