Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Where is that water coming from?

Funny story...yesterday sailing with my wife. It was blowing 16 gusting to 24. We had a single reef in the main and flying the working jib. Most of the time we were heeled at 15-20 degrees. During gusts we would heel to 25-30 degrees. After about an hour she asked me "where is that water coming from"? I'm thinking...uh oh. I look down and there is probably 4 or 5 gallons sloshing in the boat. I have no through-hulls other than the cockpit drains. I told her to go look and see if she can tell where it's coming from. She quickly told me "it's pouring out of a black hose". I had my answer. The water was coming from the fresh water tank, through the hose that used to connect to a sink faucet I removed. I thought the tank was empty so I didn't worry about totally removing the hose and plugging or removing the tank. When we were heeled on a starboard tack more than 20 degrees, it was enough for the water in the tank to dump through the hose. Now I have a new project!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is that water coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Funny story...yesterday sailing with my wife. It was blowing 16 gusting to 24. We had a single reef in the main and flying the working jib. Most of the time we were heeled at 15-20 degrees. During gusts we would heel to 25-30 degrees. After about an hour she asked me "where is that water coming from"? I'm thinking...uh oh. I look down and there is probably 4 or 5 gallons sloshing in the boat. I have no through-hulls other than the cockpit drains. I told her to go look and see if she can tell where it's coming from. She quickly told me "it's pouring out of a black hose". I had my answer. The water was coming from the fresh water tank, through the hose that used to connect to a sink faucet I removed. I thought the tank was empty so I didn't worry about totally removing the hose and plugging or removing the tank. When we were heeled on a starboard tack more than 20 degrees, it was enough for the water in the tank to dump through the hose. Now I have a new project!
Ooopsie!!! BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook