Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Membership Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebeach View Post
The initiation fee for 2012-13 at SPYC is a bit north of that figure for those over 40 (I've inquired, but am not a member). I have attended a number of events, sponsored by other organizations, at several of its local facilities. It is an elegant club, and it sponsors many regattas and other activities.

St. Pete and environs also support several yacht clubs of the "working" type, with dues a fraction of SPYC, fewer activities, and serviceable if smaller and less elegant facilities.

To my understanding, each of these clubs has reciprocity with many others in Florida. Each has good sailors, racers and cruisers and others, as members. Each has its own social scene and personality.

There are likely similar choices among clubs in many harbor towns. Nothing wrong with choosing that which best suits, or (my choice, at least for the time being) none at all.

To more directly answer to the OP's question - ask around to find out about clubs of interest, and don't be afraid to make a direct inquiry at a club if that seems best. Good luck!
Seems like the reciprocity goes all the way up the east coast, IIRC. We met a member that was very pro-SPYC. I do believe they are trying to attract a younger crowd. It is a pretty place.

I see you are in St Pete? Probably our favorite area to cruise to date. Love, love, love the people and the downtown is young and vibrant and fun. We actually have friends of ours from the Harborage coming down to spend the weekend with us, and will be meeting another set next week in the bahamas, and a third set when we get to St Augustine. In all the places we have been, we have never had a closer cruising community and people we hang around and enjoy. Great places to anchor and adventure too. St Pete rocks.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

S/V Hylyte, are you a member of St Pete?

Brian
No Brian. We were invited to join not long after we arrived in the area from SoCal but we decided it was too far away although we love the Club and like the organization (they have social memberships that allow people to join to take advantage of the bar and restaurant and the venue but Social Members don't have a vote on Club policies hence they can't exploit the boat owners in the marina as happens in some Clubs). We visit St. Pete often, however, both down town and at the old Pass-a-Grill location they took over when the two Club's merged and have friends at both. The Club has excellent programs for families, particularly the kids, and good sailing programs, both racing and cruising. Despite being a prestigious Club the members are very unpretentious and welcoming to all, regardless of one's wallet.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
.....welcoming to all, regardless of one's wallet....
Relatively speaking, of course. You do have to pay the vig, which probably means only top earners belong.

(You're in the top 6ish % if you make 100k)

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-17-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...... Great places to anchor and adventure too. St Pete rocks.

Against the law to anchor in St. Pete except for certain circumstances.
You are required to be in a marina or on a overpriced mooring.
I would suggest taking advantage of the many other venue's in Pinellas County and Tampa Bay.
St. Pete does not want your business.

Last edited by paradiselostparrot; 04-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.