Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I have followed this thread with a lot of interest.

I have also somewhat "been there" and done (a bit of) what Brian is doing, cruised for a year and lived aboard for another year. On a boat identical to Brian's - a C400.

Now, while I think the C400 is a superb cruising boat for island hopping and a very comfortable live aboard - in a fully laden cruising state it sure ain't no rocket in light air.

For that reason I found myself motoring (as most other cruisers with too much crap on their boats do) a lot more than I would have liked to.

Brian, in winds below 10 kts, do you sail or motor most of the time?

I like sailing, so if I would do it again, I would lean more towards the performance cruisers that Paolo subscribes to. Sacrifice some comfort for performance.

One thing I know for sure, I would never lean towards the other end of the spectrum, an old design heavy displacement boat. Those chaps motored even more than meself ;-) - and slower too...

Now, to through a spanner in the works, next time around I think the solution for me and the best of both worlds might be a perfomance catamaran.

Fusion Kit Catamarans

Plenty of performance and excellent liveability.

Outbound, I like your boat very much, I have been on both the 46 and the 52. We had a 52 in our marina for awhile, I think it was hull #1. Beautiful ship but close to 1 mil kitted out...

Last edited by jorgenl; 04-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

How would you make Banana Bread on a cruiser/racer?

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post

Now, while I think the C400 is a superb cruising boat for island hopping and a very comfortable live aboard - in a fully laden cruising state it sure ain't no rocket in light air.

For that reason I found myself motoring (as most other cruisers with too much crap on their boats do) a lot more than I would have liked to.
Just curious, did you have a light-air sail inventory of free-flying sails, such as a spinnaker or Code 0?
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

chall:
How do you make banana bread at home?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-26-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Using my recently acquired, coveted, secret CD wife's recipe course

It specifically states that the bread will only work, if cooked on a Catalina. If cooked on anything faster, the speed and motion of the vessel is such that it is sure to make the bread dry and tasteless.

How many of these youtube videos of young tanned Europeans on Pogos and such show them eating Banana Bread while doing 16 kts huh??

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 04-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

thank you Jorgen- wish you joy. Hope you get that cat. Went to the web site.Looks like a beautiful beast that would make any sailor purr.
Old 04-26-2013
Abysmally Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Just curious, did you have a light-air sail inventory of free-flying sails, such as a spinnaker or Code 0?
Jon, I knew someone would ask ;-). The answer in unfortunately no...

The story is that I bought my boat 6 months prior to taking off (bad idea... I know) and had very little time to outfit her while working and running a company full time. I new what I wanted/needed but simply had to prioritize to get things done in time. Hence no solar panels, no code 0, and a few other bits and pieces that would have been nice....

Anyways, learned a lot, think I know what I want next time, sold the boat and for now it's back the grown up world of corporate BS trying to make a $ ;-)

Anyone want to buy an unused fortress fx 37, sat phone and a liferaft ? ;-)
Old 04-26-2013
Abysmally Stupid

Oh , and I am sad to admit that I even had a roller furling main. Drove me crazy. Never again.
Old 04-26-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Wide shallow sterned boats with super lean bows are very badly balanced hulls, hard to control downwind in a rough sea. They have no directional stability. Even a slight narrowing of the stern and filling out the bow can make a huge improvement in directional stability.
Many racers are super deep draft, a huge burden for cruisers. They usualy have nothing in the way of adequate mooring bitts or bow rollers, and often have only dangerous, knee high, plastic coated "Lifelines". Most make a poor choice for cruising in.
Old 04-26-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Wide shallow sterned boats with super lean bows are very badly balanced hulls, hard to control downwind in a rough sea. They have no directional stability. Even a slight narrowing of the stern and filling out the bow can make a huge improvement in directional stability.
Many racers are super deep draft, a huge burden for cruisers. They usualy have nothing in the way of adequate mooring bitts or bow rollers, and often have only dangerous, knee high, plastic coated "Lifelines". Most make a poor choice for cruising in.
What specific boat design do you have in mind with your comments?
The average racer/cruiser that I have looked at have around 6' draft; hardly "super deep". Most of them are equipped with mooring bits, bow rollers, and yes, even anchor lockers! Knee high lifelines? not on any boat I have ever sailed on, but then maybe I just have short legs! (How high do you want your lifelines anyway? Waist high? )

If you are talking about full-on race boats, then yes, they aren't a great choice as they often have very little down below; pipe berths, portapottie and a 1 burner stove if you are lucky.
Hull#101