SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Keel cutter, this is sick!

6K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Flybyknight 
#1 ·
Years ago we used a circular saw with special blade to cut aluminum diamond plate for a walk in box. Never thought of this! :laugher

#3 ·
Okay, I watched. They probably destroyed the chain on the chainsaw, made a lot of lead flakes (47 pounds!) and got the keel cut into two pieces. But why? I'm not being sarcastic, I cannot think of any reason to cut the keel up like that. Will the recycle center not accept as one big piece?

#8 ·
I have cut up a lead keel. It is soft stuff. Obviously a chain saw works. I discovered the importance of WD-40 and taking it slow when using a skill saw. It will heat up and melt, binding the blade if you are not careful. WD-40 and a carbide tipped skill saw blade go through it like butter. Handling lead is an unappreciated hazard. Lead dust, oxide, fumes etc. are potentially very harmful and long lived. The size of the chips produced using a chain saw might be safer than the smaller particles produced with a skill saw or even a hand saw. Preparing to catch everything is an important bit of preparation for the safety of those doing the work and any innocents who come across it later. Gloves and a respirator.

Down

#9 ·
Handling lead is an unappreciated hazard. Lead dust, oxide, fumes etc. are potentially very harmful and long lived. The size of the chips produced using a chain saw might be safer than the smaller particles produced with a skill saw or even a hand saw. Preparing to catch everything is an important bit of preparation for the safety of those doing the work and any innocents who come across it later. Gloves and a respirator.
Most 24hr clinics do lead poison tests relatively cheap. If I were working with it, I'd get tested regularly.

I used to shoot revolvers with some folks on a frequent basis, a number of which would shoot lead. I did for a brief period (it's cheap), but stopped after I found out several of them had encountered health problems due to long term usage and handling of lead rounds. In a few cases, just a small bit of exposure was all that was necessary for lead poisoning to take effect.

#10 ·
lead poisoning is incredibly insidious and you do not need a lot of it to get poisoned.. and getting over it can takes decades

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.