Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road
Taking a PowerBoater on a Cruise...

I set sail last Friday from Port Charlotte on a 250 nm cruise past Sanibel, Captiva, Fort Myers, Naples, Marco Island, 10,000 islands, Cape Sable and on to the Keys.

This was my first overnight/multi-day cruise with Miss Marisol. I invited my younger brother because he knows diesel, is resourceful, and he fishes Cape Sable and Florida Bay often and knows the waters.

We motor sailed/close hauled tacking SW out of Charlotte Harbor and conditions improved considerably once we turned onto the ICW at Cayo Costa. Our cruise was fun, and mostly uneventful until the morning of day 3. We left Marco Island behind as the sun disappeard on the horizon. Our plan was to sail in shifts all night to reach Shark River at dawn.

We made great time until about 3 a.m. when unforecasted winds of 25 -35kts started from the SE. It was too dark to attempt entry into Shark River. We motor sailed as close to the wind as we could and reached the Cape by dawn.

My brother started getting very aggitated. He kept talking about our schedule and how he "had to be back tomorrow." The tide, wind, and overall weather didn't care about his schedule. We had plenty of food, water, and diesel. Well, we did until he spent two hours trying to motor into the weather along Middle Cape. We burned half a tank that morning and made no progress. Tacking was not very helpful either. I was done humoring him. I ordered him to his bunk to go cool off. He just couldn't get over his power boating mentality. He thought the diesel was broken, because we weren't steaming into the seas and tide at 6 kts.

I went to my chart plotter and made a decision. We would change course and use the wind on our beam to make it to Big Pine Key in about 5 hours. That's a big detour from Islamorada. My brother didn't eat or speak to me all day. He missed a beautiful cruise at 5.8 kts. with my poor little yanmar thankfully silent.

When we reached the island and finally had cell reception, he called his wife and our dad and he almost instantly snapped out of it. It was incredible. He was miserable, then his happy self again. We overnighted in Marathon, then he rented a car and drove home. I finished the cruise with my Dad. It felt good (triumphant even) to sail into my home waters off Lower Matecumbe Key.

I didn't expect morale issues on my first cruise, but I'm proud of how I handled it. I didn't dismiss his ideas, but I also took command and made the decisions when I was done wasting fuel and time.

bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking a PowerBoater on a Cruise...

Sounds like a successful and memorable trip! Getting used to the concepts that underly a dispalcement hull and limited HP can be tough for anyone.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Good job. Congratulations!

I'm planning my first cruise now.

Casco Bay in August.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 04-18-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Nice video, horrible shirt

Old 04-18-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

So, lemmesee if I got this straight: He's sailing, and he's in a hurry to get back to shore because he has better things to do?

You need to have a talk with your little brother about his priorities.

Old 04-18-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good trip. From a hind-sight view, maybe it would have been good to plan a buffer in the schedule for the return trip. Or, at least have an understanding that schedules need to be flexible. I bet he wouldn't have this trouble in the future.
Old 04-18-2013

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Great job in getting there and back...

Feeling triumphant because your brother rented a car and left?

Old 04-18-2013

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

I've had the opportunity to sail a Watkins 27 several times. I think they are pretty nice little cruisers. Wouldn't mind having one or maybe the 32 footer as my next boat.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

You might convert him, but I doubt it.

I have had a couple of Power boating friends out in my little GP.. first off, they -hate- how the boat heels over.. and then they all want to go faster.. then comes the "what time are we getting back?"

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 04-18-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road

Frankly excessive speed in the various small fishing boats i have had always was a fairly rough ride and not much fun. Fast runs on a flat lake can be fun but can only take so much because of the noise.You tolerate fast runs fishing so u can get to the next spot quickly as there is only so much daylight but i would not call the ride fun.Those you complain over heal have not spent much time on the ocean in a power boat pitching and bobbing around or crashing through waves by a captain in a hurry or lacking basic seamanship skills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.