SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Questions Regarding First Solo Cruise (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98601-questions-regarding-first-solo-cruise.html)

Harborless 04-17-2013 02:28 PM

Questions Regarding First Solo Cruise

Will be departing May 18th from West Palm Beach in route to West End. Will be spending two months cruising the Abacos and Eleuthra perhaps. Anyway I had some questions..
When you are single handing and have a dinghy, how do you prevent it from being stolen when you go ashore? I have a RL 260 I think that inflates in 5 minutes and weights 40 pounds. I am not sure how to secure the dinghy for a trip or day ashore. I really do not want to lug it around..
Is 20$ a realistic budget for food/drink per day, figuring in I will be bringing lots of provisions and fishing daily for fish and lobster. I figure mostly to only need fruits and veggies plus water as I dont drink much.
Can I barter what I catch on the docks at night or evening? Where would one sell his days catch?

rockDAWG 04-17-2013 03:11 PM

Re: Questions Regarding First Solo Cruise

1. Lock up your dinghy and motor.
2. Make your dinghy and motor more than uglier among all others
3. Make yours more difficult to steal than others
4. Bring lot of beers to trade. I don't drink, but I would bring beers
5. Everything is expensive in Bahamas, bring everything your need.
6. Conch and Lobster will be good for trade, Fish not so much, everyone can catch fish.

Have fun, it is a great place.

FSMike 04-17-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harborless (Post 1017650)
---
When you are single handing and have a dinghy, how do you prevent it from being stolen when you go ashore? I have a RL 260 I think that inflates in 5 minutes and weights 40 pounds. I am not sure how to secure the dinghy for a trip or day ashore. I really do not want to lug it around..
Is 20$ a realistic budget for food/drink per day, figuring in I will be bringing lots of provisions and fishing daily for fish and lobster. I figure mostly to only need fruits and veggies plus water as I dont drink much.
Can I barter what I catch on the docks at night or evening? Where would one sell his days catch?

If you're in an area where dinghy theft is a problem, use a long cable locked at one end to the dinghy (and the motor) and locked at the other end to something immovable. In the Bahamas most areas are pretty safe outside of Nassau. Having spent 15 years going to the Exumas I'm aware of only two dinghies gone missing, and one of those was "borrowed" by a drunk yachtie trying to get home.
If you don't drink, then $20 per day to supplement your stores should work if you frequent your own galley rather than restaurants. If you drink you can have three beers plus tip at a bar.
As for fishing, one would not sell/barter/trade his catch unless one was a Bahamian citizen, or willing to take the chance of being jailed or evicted from the Bahamas.
Enjoy - the Bahamas are wonderful.

Faster 04-17-2013 03:27 PM

I'd add that if dinghy theft is an issue that you ought to lock it to your boat overnight as well....

MarkofSeaLife 04-17-2013 03:55 PM

I agree with FSMike that you might need to expunge the romantic notions of trading fish.

Even catching fish!

In an anchorage with a few HUNDRED boats there won't be many fish unless the are smart and they will be fat ones.

I would have thought one could live on $20 per day for food alone. Provision in the USA.

Read up on any fishing restrictions, spear fishing isn't allowed. Can foreigners take Conch?

TQA 04-17-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

•Lobster or crawfish: 10 tails per VESSEL at any time (closed season 1st April to 31st July). Egg bearing females are protected. Minimum size limits for Lobster and crawfish, 3 3/8 inch carapace length or 6 inch tail.
•Conch: more than 6 at any one time.
•Demersal fish (grouper, snapper): 20 pounds per vessel.
•Migratory species such as Wahoo, Kingfish, Tuna or Dolphin shall NOT exceed 18 fish aboard the vessel at any one time.
•Billfish species (marlin, sailfish or swordfish) caught shall be released unharmed except where landed under the terms of an approved sportsfishing event or tournament.
•Stone Crabs: minimum harvestable claw is 4 inches. Female harvesting is prohibited (1st June to 15th October Closed Season).
•Turtle, coral or sea mammals are not to be taken. It is illegal to import Turtles, but legal to eat them in The Bahamas.

Spearfishing restricted to Hawaiian sling only. Spears, fish traps, nets (excluding landing nets) and spearguns prohibited. You should request that the vessel's Fishing Permit be so endorsed, in writing, on issue. Spearfishing is not allowed within 1 mile of the coast of New Providence, off south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahamas and within 200 yards off the coast of all Outer Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.

Use of Scuba gear or air compressor to harvest fish, conch or crawfish and other marine animals is prohibited.

No marine life at all may be captured in the national marine parks or reserve areas, see below.

The Royal Bahamas Defence Force regularly patrols sensitive areas and has the power to inspect any boat they suspect of flouting either these regulations or the drug laws. They monitor VHF Channel 16.
From Noonsite

Not a lot left fish, conk or lobster.

Harborless 04-17-2013 09:33 PM

Well I will be mostly fishing as I sail.. trolling off stern. I have a dinghy with anchor to get me near the reefs.