Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

I was there in 1958, just before everything was shut down. Havana was a jumpin' town to say the least. From what I've heard from Canadian friends that have been there in the past couple years Havana is essentially a ghost town in comparison to back then.

When I was in Guantanamo Bay the following year, no one was allowed to leave the Naval Base and go to Havana. Diving at Officer's Beach, which was on the base, was awesome. Underwater visibility back then was well in excess of 100 feet, spearfishing for monster grouper and yellowtail snapper was beyond your wildest dreams, and the local beer was called "Hatuey." It sold for .15 cents a bottle back then, and it was really strong. Today it sells for $8 for a six-pack and is brewed somewhere in the U.S..

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gitmo is LEASED to the US under treaty, so access to it cannot be compared to access to any part of Cuba. Gitmo is US sovereign soil, the same as the land under any US international embassy, it is not part of Cuba.

As to why anyone would not want US hurricane hunters flying in their sovereign airspace...does the name Gary Powers mean anything to you? The US has admitted to more than 50 illegal uncursions into Soviet airspace, illegal by all standards including our own, during the Cold War years. Including Powers, which Kennedy publicly swore was a weather observation flight, all the way until Krushchev showed the crash remains to the world. (The U2 was supposed to be blown to smithereens, the smithereen-making-equipment supposedly failed.)

Besides, the Haitians and Dominicans can respond faster down there. (What, who's laughing?)

I think we also really insulted Fidel when we refused his generous offer of medical aid to New Orleans after Katrina.
Old 04-17-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Beautiful shot Jon!!!

Yes, I am waiting for an opportunity to sail to Cuba. Every time when I am down in Florida or Caribbean, I see more Canadian boats than Americans'. I think my chance is good. It is good thing that Cuba government does not stamp our US passport, so as long as stop by another country before head back to U.S.

Both my grandfather (in the 30's) and Uncle (in the 70's) died in Havana. It would be cool if I can find their tombs.
Wow, Rockdawg.
For a self professed redneck it is interesting to hear that you have roots in Cuba, at least on one side.
If I am not mistaken the US does allow resident US family members to visit Cuba. You do have to apply to the powers that be though.
rockDAWG likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The misinformation on who and how one can travel to Cuba is always remarkable. Some propagate it intentionally, others are outdated, others spread rumor. Here are the official answers, some of which changed over the last couple of years. Travel information is in the middle of the page.

Cuba Sanctions

The most common cause for confusion are stories about people that get away with it, rather than actually comply with the law. It has eased up a little bit, but it's still very difficult. If what you're doing smells like a scam, it is.

If you don't like the law, vote for people that will change it.
ottos likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The misinformation on who and how one can travel to Cuba is always remarkable. Some propagate it intentionally, others are outdated, others spread rumor. Here are the official answers, some of which changed over the last couple of years. Travel information is in the middle of the page.

Cuba Sanctions

The most common cause for confusion are stories about people that get away with it, rather than actually comply with the law. It has eased up a little bit, but it's still very difficult. If what you're doing smells like a scam, it is.

If you don't like the law, vote for people that will change it.
Some of that information appears to be somewhat outdated... The prohibition on prepaid package tours, for example, is dated from 12 years ago...

Bottom line is, ANY AMERICAN citizen can legally visit Cuba today...

It's simply a matter of how much, and to whom, you're willing to pay for the 'privilege':

Quote:

Overview

Travel to Cuba with Smithsonian Journeys in 2013 and take part in an immersive People-to-People experience. During our specially designed nine-day program, you’ll learn about this enigmatic island nation’s fascinating culture through firsthand contact with Cuban artists, musicians, students, teachers, environmentalists, and others who are eager to exchange views with you on Cuban contemporary life. Explore the World Heritage site of Old Havana, where you’ll learn about the ongoing preservation of the city’s architecture. Meet artists and writers and experience Ernest Hemingway’s legacy as well as authentic Cuban rumba rhythms. You’ll meet with Afro-Cuban spiritual leaders, park rangers at a bio-reserve, and traditional farmers. This People-to-People Cultural Exchange is permitted by a license from the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Starting at $5,880

Travel to Cuba | Smithsonian Journeys

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Some of that information appears to be somewhat outdated... The prohibition on prepaid package tours, for example, is dated from 12 years ago...

Bottom line is, ANY AMERICAN citizen can legally visit Cuba today...

It's simply a matter of how much, and to whom, you're willing to pay for the 'privilege':
Agreed..almost went on this trip with my wife..but at the time there where no motorcycles with sidecars available yet..at least reliable ones.

Cuba Motorcycle Tours - MotoDiscovery
Old 04-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

dawg, oddly enough the DOS OFAC guide says that you don't need specific permission to visit a close relative (3 generations) who is a Cuban national. Doesn't say a word about dead or alive so "I'm going to visit my grandfather, I've never met him" might actually be all you need to say.

Could be worth looking into, because visiting family gravesites isn't on the slim list of allowed reasons, but the rules don't say anything about the relatives having to be living.
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 04-18-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

When I was stationed at Guantanamo Bay in the 90's, we had a bad plane crash where the surviving member of the flight crew (civilian flight - it was mail if i recall) had to be flown immediately to the burn unit in Miami. At that time, Wash DC had to request permission from Cuba to allow the medical airlift to fly over Cuba in a direct route to Miami. Those kinds of things happened from time to time, and each time a request had to be made.

I don't know how it goes today, but at that time all flights to / from Gitmo had to fly around with the exception of the emergency requests I mentioned. The Coasties there were not allowed to violate Cuban airspace, either.

That was twenty years ago. I have no idea what the regs are these days.
Old 04-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Wow, Rockdawg.
For a self professed redneck it is interesting to hear that you have roots in Cuba
Haha..... I have been wearing a tie and suit for all my adult life from Monday to Friday. I just wanted to be a red neck for a change in the weekend.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-18-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Commercial flights go over Cuba all the time.
Fly to Grand Cayman from Miami and you go right over the island. Pretty amazing view from up there. The spine of the island is a mountainous jungle.
Not certain about CG helos but I'm sure CG aircraft can transit the airspace. Why would Cuba object to US hurricane hunter aircraft?

As for "unauthorized military incursion" what about Guantanamo Bay???
Our military flies there all the time.
I've flown into Guantanamo on several occassions. There is a narrow corridor that we fly in to get to the base. They will intercept US Government aircraft that approach Cuba that are not in that corridor.

I've never been on a flight that has been intercepted by Cuban fighters, but I know people who have been.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico