Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Thank you Brian.

EDIT BY CD: I think just thank you will suffice (smile).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 04-22-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Too aggresive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I wonder what would happen, if you have an accident in Cuba and unintentionally damage property or injure someone ...
Well, based upon my experience, I would say that renting a car in Western Australia entails a far greater risk...

No kangaroos dropping out of the sky in Cuba, as far as I could tell... (grin)

Old 04-22-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Back to the original programming

If USCG asks Cuba nicely, I wonder if Cuba will grant CG a fly over to aid a distressed vessel. ???

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-22-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Quoted from the old Pravda?

The last trip my brother took down there, he stayed in the house of one of the Cubans. There were no windows in the house, and they only had electricity for a few hours a day. But, they couldn't use it because all of their outlets were burned out and they couldn't get any more. For a bus to take kids to church, they were using an old dump truck that the kids would ride in. It didn't even have working headlights. Almost no one had a working car. The whole yard was fenced to raise pigs to eat and he said the smell was unbelievable most of the time.
Well - I have no idea how long ago your brother went, but the houses we visited and stayed in were very nice. Cubans can now buy and sell their houses, can fix them up as they like and our "Casa particular" (B&B) was very nice.

Rik

Last edited by rikhall; 04-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2013
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
our "Casa particular" (B&B) was very nice.
The casas have to be licensed by the government, and they are eligible for better food rations since they serve tourists. I've never heard of one that didn't live up to decent standards, and I'm wondering if his brother ended up in an unlicensed 'casa' - not impossible, since they exist, or in one meant solely for Cubans. Or, was not in a casa p at all, but somehow managed to stay in someone's home - which happens to be prohibido.

Old 04-22-2013

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

Hopefully Cuba will open soon. Someone needs to tell Washington the cold war is over, those nim-ka-poops would probably be surprised to learn we won! Several of my flying buddies use to go on the “Cayman Caravan” in their small single aircraft, they flew right over the center of Cuba, some as low as 3000 ft., all pre-arranged of course. I have met several people from Cuba at the University I work at. If the U.S. would normalize relations with Havana I would move up my sail boating plans by at least 3 years. Great pictures feel free to post more? Every Cuban I have ever talked with said that the Cuban people understand that the problem is between the governments, not the people.
Old 04-22-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

dawg, the Cubans are big on humanitarian aid but relations with the US go tit-for-tat based on daily events. Like earlier this month when they returned the two parents (who kidnapped their own children) to Florida. Or, versus the assorted other folks they have granted asylum to.

So it would very much depend on which side of the bed who woke up on.

A typical USCG rescue helo launched from Key West might be able to spend two hours in the waters south of Cuba, in perfect weather, before they had to make for land, in any direction, so I would guess there are also practical limits for that kind of operation.
Old 04-22-2013

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

In the words of our illustrious moderator, the Cruisingdad, who said: let’s keep it about sailing if we can,…etc. didn’t I read on here one time that there used to be yacht races from Tampa to Cuba? Has any sail-netters participated in these? I would be curious about how long it took, what one could expect as an average speed; was there a better way of doing it other than “go south – turn left a bit?” Largest boats, smallest? Weather issues? Gulf issues?
Just Curious
Old 04-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabsailor View Post
In the words of our illustrious moderator, the Cruisingdad, who said: let’s keep it about sailing if we can,…etc. didn’t I read on here one time that there used to be yacht races from Tampa to Cuba? Has any sail-netters participated in these? I would be curious about how long it took, what one could expect as an average speed; was there a better way of doing it other than “go south – turn left a bit?” Largest boats, smallest? Weather issues? Gulf issues?
Just Curious
That race got shut down. Though there are many interested parties, it still has not opened back up.

Anyone done that race?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-22-2013
Canuck Sailor

I met someone in Nyack NY who had done the race, and met Fidel at the supper afterwards. The story was fascinating, but I can't recall it well enough to tell it here. Sarasota Yacht Club has tried for several years to restart the race, the OFAC simply wouldn't ok it, no matter how hard they tried and how many hoops they jumped through.
The course would be Sarasota - Key West, Havana. You run not quite at right angles to the current then, and since the winds are usually out of the east with an east setting current, it can get lively. Mind you, I've seen it completely flat on one crossing. Very odd that was.
Calder recommends crossing after a norther and riding in on the NW winds. The trick there is not to get to Hemingway's entrance channel before the waves subside - it can be VERY difficult if the conditions are rough. For those who want to see what a fairly mild day looks like, go to SAIL, Cruising Cuba: Paso Malo | Sail Magazine, and take a look at my video of Varadero's Paso Malo (Bad Pass). It's not much different from the Hemingway entrance - a washing machine or worse given the right conditions.
wannabsailor likes this.