Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
Sarasota Yacht Club has tried for several years to restart the race, the OFAC simply wouldn't ok it, no matter how hard they tried and how many hoops they jumped through.
I was involved a couple of years ago. The Sarasota Yacht Club folks had no interest in counsel from people with experience at State, Commerce, and Treasury. The National Sailing Hall of Fame has not been nearly so parochial and is making progress.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
The Sarasota Yacht Club folks had no interest in counsel from people with experience at State, Commerce, and Treasury. The National Sailing Hall of Fame has not been nearly so parochial and is making progress.
That was my impression of the SYC Dave, but I wasn't willing to state that here since I was only observing, not involved. Glad to hear someone is taking up the challenge. Can you give us more info on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 04-22-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabsailor View Post
In the words of our illustrious moderator, the Cruisingdad, who said: letís keep it about sailing if we can,Öetc.
Best I can do - me at the stern of Hemingway's Pilar, in Cuba

Rik
Old 04-22-2013
Canuck Sailor

...that's pretty darn good, Rik! I've not gotten there yet, what's the site like? When were you there?

Old 04-23-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I was involved a couple of years ago. The Sarasota Yacht Club folks had no interest in counsel from people with experience at State, Commerce, and Treasury. The National Sailing Hall of Fame has not been nearly so parochial and is making progress.
That was my impression of the SYC Dave, but I wasn't willing to state that here since I was only observing, not involved. Glad to hear someone is taking up the challenge. Can you give us more info on it?
I got involved in the Sarasota effort when a delivery client got excited about the potential for legally going to Cuba. I managed to get some insight into SYC plans, offered some comments, my Rolodex, and some time to pound the halls at various government agencies in DC (I'm not that far away). They said they had it under control and shipped what might be described as a self-important request that was summarily dismissed.

I don't yet have a lot of insight into the National Sailing Hall of Fame effort. I know it exists and is ongoing and is being shepherded by people who seem to know what they are doing. I stumbled across that in coordinating another, nascent effort for a rally to Cuba.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-23-2013
Canuck Sailor

Interesting - please keep me up to date on anything new if you would. In particular, my editors would be interested.

Old 04-23-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...that's pretty darn good, Rik! I've not gotten there yet, what's the site like? When were you there?
The site was interesting and I am glad we went to see it in March of this year - cost $5.00, but then most things cost something. We also enjoyed "seeing" Hemingway at El Floridita, in Old Havana, purported to be one of the seven most famous bars in the world. At least that's what it said on the sign outside!

The one on the right is Hemingway. My wife (WriterHall.com) is the author on the left.

Rik
Old 04-23-2013
Canuck Sailor

Hey! It's Cuba. You can believe that sign!
I'll have to check out Hemingway's place on my next trip.

Old 04-24-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
dawg, the Cubans are big on humanitarian aid but relations with the US go tit-for-tat based on daily events. Like earlier this month when they returned the two parents (who kidnapped their own children) to Florida. Or, versus the assorted other folks they have granted asylum to.

So it would very much depend on which side of the bed who woke up on.

A typical USCG rescue helo launched from Key West might be able to spend two hours in the waters south of Cuba, in perfect weather, before they had to make for land, in any direction, so I would guess there are also practical limits for that kind of operation.
The CG wouldn't launch helos from Key West for a rescue south of Cuba. They would launch an HH-60 from the base at Great Inagua or an HH-65 from a nearby cutter.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, 9. The USCG doesn't even list that base as existing in most places, perhaps because it is a joint drug operation with DEA, perhaps because they've just finished rebuilding it, apparently their hangar blew away in Hurricane Ike. Maybe this is "Area 52".

Doesn't sound as genteel as NAS Bermuda was though. (G)