Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013

alexanderslat is on a distinguished road
Solo From Aus to Thailand via png

I am currently considering a journey from queensland to thailand via png, I have plenty of boat experience but 0 sailing. so i am likely to join a sail club and begin. also have been looking at the seawind 24' catamaran... a few questions,.. would a year be enough time to prepare for such a journey (sailing experience wise), how long roughly would this take,. would this vessel be suitable seen as the longest stretch of water that would be undertaken is roughly 150km, any suggestions/thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo From Aus to Thailand via png

If your main idea is to get to Thailand you might consider going with the Sail Indonesia rally that leaves from Darwin. The longest leg is from Darwin to Timor, something like 400 miles. We found the coast of northern Queensland to either have no wind or 30 knots from the south. Once you get into Indonesia winds tend to be very light in many places so you need a reliable engine and good fuel range. The bureaucracy for entry to Indonesia is extremely complex which is why so many people go the rally since the organizers look after the paperwork.

Don't know the boat you are talking about, but it would seem to me that a 24' catamaran would not have the load carrying capacity you would want to have.

You could do it in a year for sure but you have to leave at the right time to avoid cyclones and get the right winds up the coast. As for your ability to do this trip with no sailing experience that is for you to decide. It is not the easiest trip in the world, but far from the hardest. You mention boating experience, but does this include weather knowledge and reading tropical waters?
Old 04-19-2013

alexanderslat is on a distinguished road

hey, thanks for the reply, I understand that timing will be everything and will be thoroughly planing this trip down to every detail, as for the paperwork and visas and such , I do not mind doing my homework to organise, here are some pictures of the seawind 24' to give you an idea, thanks again for the response
Attached Thumbnails
Solo From Aus to Thailand via png-picseawind24104a.jpg   Solo From Aus to Thailand via png-picseawind24100d.jpg   Solo From Aus to Thailand via png-picseawind24100a.jpg   Solo From Aus to Thailand via png-chatd-lamer.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

For Indonesia, at the least, you have to work through a shipping agent which is not cheap unless you can get a group of boats to share the expense. That is why the Indonesia Rally helps, although you are much further west, but well-positioned for going to Thailand. The Indonesian authorities are very slowly easing the regulations but who knows how far and how fast. The officials are very pleasant and seem honest but they just seem completely bureaucratic. When we entered at Kupang there were 23! officials involved, all brought to one place by the rally and they were all busily filling in forms and stamping things. It was the first place that we really needed a boat stamp. Nice country,
Overly people, but very complicated.
Old 04-19-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Plenty of small boat sailors making the journey from Oz to Thailand. Join the rally as as Kilarney suggests. The Indonesians officials were no worse the Australia. About the same price as well. Easy, fun cruising in Thailand, perfect for a small cat. Great gunkholing in the many, many island and estuaries. Good luck on your journey!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-19-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

We have Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia penciled in to the cruising plan for 2014. We will definitely use the rally for the convenience of dealing with the officialdom. It has been pointed out to us that going via a rally is a lot cheaper than doing it alone.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 04-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Should also point out that once you are in Indonesia with the rally you can go where and when you want.

Tags
australia , catamaran , solo , thailand

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.