Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Toying with an idea (stern perch seats)

I've been on several boats with the stern perch type of seats. Mostly they were one of those things that looks like a good idea, but turns out to be almost completely unused in practice. The one exception was a boat where the winches for the headsail sheets were positioned such that the stern perch was the perfect place to man the sheets while having a good view of the headsail. If the latter will not be the case on your boat, then I would think long and hard about whether or not the seats are really worth it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Don,
That's a good point, thank you. My thinking, though, was that the seats wouldn't so much be for me, but for my kids. I have two boys, 7 and almost 5, and those would be fun places for them to sit. They would be able to see better from there, which hopefully will make sailing even more fun for them. I've heard that those seats can be some of the wettest on the boat; I think my boys might actually enjoy that!

I still need to actually get out and USE the boat before I make any changes; just kicking around ideas. I like the concept of just adding rail mounts and giving the seat proper support from below. That avoids any weight issues with the stern rail in case I or another adult want to sit up there. I had toyed with having the chair have feet, I don't know why I didn't think to just have the thing permanently mounted. I guess part of it was that, with the suspended version, you could easily lift it out of the way if you needed to get in there to work on something.

I don't think Zarcor's solution that uses the single bar will work on my boat, at least not without being intrusive. The span between the supports for the pulpit is too long, and I think the support bar would cut across the cockpit.

Another idea might be to add additional vertical supports to the stern rail. That would give me more comfort if I hang an outboard off that bracket you see in the picture, allow the weight of any person(s) in the stern seats to be further distributed, and give me at least a little more safety. Hmmm...more to think about.

Thanks again everyone!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 04-19-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Jim,
I think you'll need to add additional support
My Gemini had folding bow seats. Consider that too.
You can see it below - it folds upwards out of the way, simple starboard seat.

Old 04-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Of those that I know have pushpit seats, they are rarely used and only for passengers. I've not personally seen a set up where they are a useful deck position.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but I also wonder if they will end up being in the way of moving around the cockpit, docking, etc. That would be a real downer if they aren't used either. If you're thinking of your kids using them, think about that being a much more exposed location for falling overboard than being down in the cockpit.

As an interim solution, put some pipe insulation around the pushpit tubing and make a sunbrella cover for it. That will make it much more comfortable to sit on the coaming and lean against it.

See how the ergonomics of the cockpit work out and then modify as you see fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-19-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jim, I'd be concerned about anything that intrudes on your space behind the wheel.

That said the stern seats are some of the most used seats on our boat. My wife is always there when she's not behind the wheel and guests seem to gravitate to them. In my avatar pic you can actually see my wife in the stern seat and how it cantilevers off the stern outside the cockpit.

Sail her for a bit to figure out if you want stern seats. If you do, consider having a metal fabricator make you a new stern rail that moves the seats backward out of the cockpit and is designed to carry the weight of people sitting there (it might not always be the kids). After all you don't want to come off a big wake and have the stern rail collapse while someone is sitting there.

Here's a pic of our factory setup. BTW, how are you making out with your trans?

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Jim,
I've been coveting those stern perch seats ever since I first saw them. I'm afraid of what the fabricator would charge for the rails, but it's probably a good idea to price it out. In the end, it would probably look better and be more functional than anything I can DIY. Plus, the idea of pushing them back farther, so they hang out over the transom, is a good one. That would get the seat, and the passenger in it, farther out of the way. I'll just have to make sure it doesn't hit the davvit.

Minne, your point about it being an esposed position is a very good one. That was one of the reasons I thought adding three additional, vertical supports to the rail would be good. It would help close off that space a bit, making it harder for them to fall through. I'd probably also put netting or something up there, too, for additional safety. I know not to rely on the netting, but still, it's better to have it than to not, IMHO.

Chuck, I like the hinged idea. I'll have to noodle on that some more. If I can put a hinged/folding support leg on the seat, that would allow it to flip up out of the way, thereby addressing Minne and Jim's concerns, while avoiding the cost of fabing a new rail.

In the end, I'll have to price out everything, and look at how it would work functionally, before I do anything. If the cost of doing something (properly) with the existing rail approaches the cost of just having a new rail created, then I'd probably go in that direction. I want to split the rail already, anyway, to make it easier to get on an off the boat via the stern ladder.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming! I really appreciate all the feedback.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I have two boys, 7 and almost 5, and those would be fun places for them to sit.
Your boys must be unusual. Reminds me of something a friend told me years ago...

"When my son was little," she said, "we were so excited when he first learned how to walk and how to talk. Now that he's 5 years old, I just wish he would sit down and shut up."

Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Here are a few other pictures of the transom area. Sorry, when I took them I wasn't taking the pics with this thread in mind! Most were also taken before the boat was mine, so please excuse the mess!

1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Your boys must be unusual. Reminds me of something a friend told me years ago...

"When my son was little," she said, "we were so excited when he first learned how to walk and how to talk. Now that he's 5 years old, I just wish he would sit down and shut up."

LOL...they do have their days, but I really enjoy my kids. They are both very smart, and they each see things differently from each other, and from us, so I like having them around and hearing their thoughts. I travel 4-6 weeks out of the year for work, plus I wind up working late some nights, and have stuff to do around the house (as does everyone). As a result, I don't get to spend as much quality time with them as I'd like, especially while they are still young. Once they are teens, my opinion may change, and I may look for a job that allows me to travel more!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Jim, sorry, I forgot to reply to your question about the status of the boat. She's still at the marina. They hope to have an estimate of the cost to disassemble (and thus determine whether there is an insurance claim here) by next week. Of course, that's what they said last week, too. But at least they aren't charging me storage fees! And I know they are busy; it's frustrating, but understandable. The marina has said many times that I am welcome to come down and make myself at home while the boat is there. I'm leery to do too much, though; if she's going to be totaled, I don't want to expend any additional energy or cost on her. So, for now I'm focusing on further rehabbing the Albacore that's in my driveway.
1975 Albacore 15