Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Things that happen in cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And, it would likely be a bit tidier, than CARLOS' WELDING in Fronteras, Guatemala, who once worked a minor miracle for me here... Seriously, I wish I could find someone as clever, skilled, and reasonably priced as Carlos, within 25 miles of my home here in NJ...
Jon, I've had some parts fabricated in the third world (though not for my boat). Some of these guys are phenomenal. That kind of back alley fabrication is a lost art in this country.

Killarney_Sailor, I think we coastal cruisers sometimes lose sight of just how challenging a circumnavigation can be; not just the sailing or the storms but all the work that goes into keeping a boat going that will probably get the equivalent wear and tear of 10 years coastal cruising each year. Not to mention dealing with health issues and injuries.

Speaking of which I think all Sailnetters need to steer a wide course around Brian's boat. Evidently he has become a disaster magnet. Good God man !

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Why are we such fools that we think all and sundry need to know the grisly details of our foolishness?

If you can't afford the damage you cause your boat then you shouldn't own the boat.

And why, oh WHY do people bleat about it in blogs and group emails home?

If I run into problems (and they are never that the boat has folded up because I have done one accidental gybe) I would NEVER ever tell the land lubbers at home! Yes I do jump on the sailing forums quick smart for advice but that's talking to people who have an understanding.

All emails home should be "Having Fun, See Attached Photos". But to email Mum/Mom "Broke Cotter Pin" will elicit response: "Cotter Pin? Have called Coast Guard!!!"

Mark
aeventyr60 and olddog60 like this.
Old 04-22-2013

avenger79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Why are we such fools that we think all and sundry need to know the grisly details of our foolishness?

If you can't afford the damage you cause your boat then you shouldn't own the boat.

And why, oh WHY do people bleat about it in blogs and group emails home?

If I run into problems (and they are never that the boat has folded up because I have done one accidental gybe) I would NEVER ever tell the land lubbers at home! Yes I do jump on the sailing forums quick smart for advice but that's talking to people who have an understanding.

All emails home should be "Having Fun, See Attached Photos". But to email Mum/Mom "Broke Cotter Pin" will elicit response: "Cotter Pin? Have called Coast Guard!!!"

Mark
you have met my mom I take it?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just to clarify, I was referring to dealing with the possibility of suffering a gooseneck/boom failure on MY boat, not your friend's... Perhaps you might be underestimating how 'basic' such a fix might be, on a boat as modest as mine... (grin)

Certainly, there would be someone capable of welding on St Helena, or some basic machine shop that could help me cobble some sort of fix together...

And, it would likely be a bit tidier, than CARLOS' WELDING in Fronteras, Guatemala, who once worked a minor miracle for me here... Seriously, I wish I could find someone as clever, skilled, and reasonably priced as Carlos, within 25 miles of my home here in NJ...

Plus, I carry a Band-It tool aboard... Every 'real' cruising boat (grin) going places beyond the reach of Sea-Tow and UPS should carry one, with one of these one can McGyver just about anything related to spars, etc...

BAND-IT® Tool

Geez Jon, you carry a Band-it on your boat too? And people criticize ME for carrying too much stuff (snicker). Hey, why don't you chat with Paulo on the Racer for cruiser thread.... (evil laugh)

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just to clarify, I was referring to dealing with the possibility of suffering a gooseneck/boom failure on MY boat, not your friend's... Perhaps you might be underestimating how 'basic' such a fix might be, on a boat as modest as mine... (grin)

Certainly, there would be someone capable of welding on St Helena, or some basic machine shop that could help me cobble some sort of fix together...

Plus, I carry a Band-It tool aboard... Every 'real' cruising boat (grin) going places beyond the reach of Sea-Tow and UPS should carry one, with one of these one can McGyver just about anything related to spars, etc...

BAND-IT® Tool

This looks like my kind of place!
Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
This looks like my kind of place!
It looks like my kids room!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Never throw anything out, you never know when you may need it.