SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The number one way to wreck your boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98628-number-one-way-wreck-your-boat.html)

barefootnavigator 04-18-2013 03:09 PM

The number one way to wreck your boat

The average sailor has nightmares of lee shores, being run down at night by a freighter, and freak storm's.

In reality the most damage done to the average boat is by lack of proper maintenance. I hate this time of year when my usually quiet marina turns into pressure washer hell. All the people who have ignored their boats for the last 8 months come down and fire up those horrible gas powered beasts. Shooting a high powered water jet at your decks is the number one cause of rotted cores. Please give us all a break and just wash the damn thing by hand.

tip of the day, using dish soap to wash your boat takes off 100% of the wax you applied last week.

Rhys05 04-18-2013 03:19 PM

Re: The number one way to wreck your boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator (Post 1018159)

tip of the day, using dish soap to wash your boat takes off 100% of the wax you applied last week.

But it does a great job taking off the oxidized wax that you put on last season! :D

Tim R. 04-18-2013 03:26 PM

Imar boat soap will preserve the wax.

northoceanbeach 04-18-2013 03:33 PM

I'm surprised by the use of pressure washers I'm seeing. It Seems like a bad idea to me. I even had it recommended to clean my bottom and my bottom only needs a gentle wipe.

I've been taught which soft pad to use for which growth, to preserve the most paint. I don't see how a pressure washer will do that. Maybe that's why people think they have to repaint their bottom's all the time.

I'm a hands on knees guy myself.

rockDAWG 04-18-2013 03:43 PM

You need to wax the boat ???

I don't even like to wax my wife's Mini let alone a boat, way too much work :p

Clorox cleanup, raise and be done.

Mark1948 04-18-2013 04:00 PM

Yeah, my bottom is sensative as well. Soft washcloth and dial soap.

outbound 04-18-2013 04:17 PM

Carwash soap works well and is gentle. Dirtbike wash if heavily soiled. Use soft bristle brush as to not scratch gel coat. Got bad knees so can do most of it standing up. Hard dirt use wet rag with soap and lay on area and let sit for awhile before rubbing. Non pressurized hose sufficient for bottom if good paint on it. Use plastic scraper on barnacles. Use plastic pot scrubber on prop so it's not scratched. Then buff with jeweler's compound ( have cheap source). Mirror surface decreases growth.

bljones 04-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 1018175)
You need to wax the boat ???

I don't even like to wax my wife

My wife would never ask me to wax her.

rhr1956 04-18-2013 05:19 PM

My wife wont let me wax her. :-(

pdqaltair 04-18-2013 06:07 PM

Wax? Heh, heh.

Sail Delmarva: Seven Sins I Will NOT Commit This Spring

Even a lazy person should be smart enough not to power wash. Too much rebedding.