SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Through hulls and hoses (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98643-through-hulls-hoses.html)

Gregrosine 04-18-2013 10:28 PM

Through hulls and hoses

We've come to agreement on a purchase for our first sailboat! (Yes, congratulations are in order). We are arranging for a survey. I plan on being in attendance at the survey and would like to take the opportunity to label all the hoses and through-hull fittings and sea cocks. At leat it sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions on what I should use to label the fittings and hoses?

Thanks for all the help everyone has given us as we've gone through the boat search process.

eherlihy 04-18-2013 10:52 PM

Re: Through hulls and hoses

Definitely be there for the survey.

Do not label any of the through hulls until you own the boat. The survey may yet kill the deal. (sorry, but true)

Draw an outline of the boat on a piece of paper. Sketch in the location of all the through hulls, and type of seacocks (Gate or Ball valve) on the outline.

AFTER the deal closes, make labels with a Brother P-Touch, and place them where they belong.

sailvayu 04-18-2013 10:54 PM

First off congratulations on the boat. I would suggest you do not bother the surveyor with asking about what each hose does you may distract him from finding other things you need to know about. I would not be concerned about the hoses till you own the boat you may find that the deal will not go through for any number of reasons. you should spend some time with the owner after the check is signed and then ask about things like the hoses.

That said it is a good idea to label stuff. I recommend you get one of those brother label makers. Hoses can sometimes be hard to label. You can use the basic label from the label maker and then wrap some clear packing tape around the hose to help it stay in place long term.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well and you get a good boat.

Minnewaska 04-19-2013 08:18 AM

Congrats (assuming all goes well with the survey)

Labeling hoses is a great idea. Perhaps not as much for you, as you'll get very used to her, but when you send someone aboard to repair or ask someone to help, you can be sure they will open/close the right seacocks. We leave our main and genset raw water thru hulls closed and they are far enough away that one would have to really crawl around to know what is what, just to do a simple oil change.

I do not think a P-touch labels will last very long in the bilges, unless you figure out how to seal them well. We printed 1"x2" paper labels and spread them out evenly under a piece of heated laminate and sealed them. We cut between the labels with enough laminate to put a hole punch in one end that wouldn't touch the label and expose it. They all get tie wrapped through the hole punch to the hose coming off the seacock.

p.s. yup, we bought a laminator for this. It comes in handy to make checklists for casting off, winterization, instructions for guests on how to use the head, etc.

divefreak 04-19-2013 08:31 AM

put the labels not on the vlaves but inside so you can see them when the acces hatches are closed!

Shinook 04-19-2013 08:57 AM

What type of boat is it?

I know the owner's manual for ours has a diagram with all the seacocks and their purpose on it.

Dymo Support 04-24-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1018443)
Congrats (assuming all goes well with the survey)

I do not think a P-touch labels will last very long in the bilges, unless you figure out how to seal them well. We printed 1"x2" paper labels and spread them out evenly under a piece of heated laminate and sealed them. We cut between the labels with enough laminate to put a hole punch in one end that wouldn't touch the label and expose it. They all get tie wrapped through the hole punch to the hose coming off the seacock.

p.s. yup, we bought a laminator for this. It comes in handy to make checklists for casting off, winterization, instructions for guests on how to use the head, etc.

I have just thought that perhaps using a plastic or polyester tape would be better. Dymo machines are good for this. There is also an industrial series too, those tapes stay put for years.