Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013

midnight sail is on a distinguished road
primer bulb?

Hello,
I have a 1964 islander 32 with an atomic 4. I just finished replacing the gas tank. ( fiberglass and ethanol don't mix well,) I also rember plumed all my fuel lines. Now I have to prime the system. I k.ow the best way to do it is with a primer bulb. The question is should I install one perminatly between the tank and fuel filter or just use it to prime my system and them remove it, or should I put one perminate with some shut offs and t-fittings so I can bypass it until I need it.?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: primer bulb?

NO primer bulbs below deck there not made out of and A-1 rated material which is needed for below deck gasoline line

The fuel pump has a priming handle on it OR it should

It is a good size wire arm on the pump that you stroke and it will pump a huge amount of fuel

As it runs off a camshaft lobe it is possible for the motor to have stoped in a position were the pump is fully closed and the arm will not move and you just need to use the starter to crank it a bit so you can move the arm and it will prime you up in a few seconds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2013

The fuel pump does have the primer handle on it and it works well to pump the gas. But the problem is the gas lines from the tank are dry because they are all new and the pump will not draw it because its all air in the lines. I have put a primer bulb on at the tank before when I rebuilt the engine last year, pumped the gas through the lines then removed the bulb. It worked well I was then able to pump the handle on the pump to prime the carberator. My question is what if I run out of gas and suck air. I would have to disconnected the gas line at the tank and put a bulb on prime it then remove it and put the fuel line back on. So I am wondering if it is ok to leave a moller primer bulb on the line or plum one on a bypass loop with some shut off and T's so the fuel isn't constantly passing through it. And its ready if I need it.
Old 04-19-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Electric fuel pump with a flow through feature, either used full or part time via a seperate switch?

The Diesel Page, Electric Lift Pump and Racor Filter installation

Paul T
Old 04-19-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

The pump way need a rebuild kit as I just did a new A4 fuel system and the rebuilt pump has no problem puling fuel through and anti-siphon valve

Any tiny air leak will cause a problem like using big hose clamps on the fuel line

The rubber gasket on the fuel pump filter chamber is very trick with air leaks as the knob and wire bail that holds it on tends to bend the fuel pump body

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 04-19-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

If you have a relatively large gas filter, long fuel line and the old pump, you will spend a lot of time lifting the fuel pump level to suck gas from the tank, fill the filter, fill the pump, and fill the carburetor. That's a pretty large volume of gas to move. I have a primer bulb connected between the fuel filter and tank, it's below deck, in the lazerette, and recently replaced it. It does a good job, and realistically, doesn't pose a threat. I know of many diesel powered boats that also have priming bulbs, and I assume for the same reason.

Be sure to double clamp all the fuel line connections, and be sure to use the right size clamps. After tightening the clamps for the first time, the fuel line will compress to some degree and the clamps will need to be retightened, or firmed up. DO NOT overtighten the clamps - this could result in cutting into the fuel line.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 04-19-2013

Thanks for the advice the fuel pump has a fresh rebuild I rechecked all the fittings and got it to prime the system also pre filled the racor filter and made sure the sedement bowl on the pump was seated correctly. Was able to get the pump to draw the gas up and out of the tank. Had to take apart the carburetor clean it. All the passageways, needle n seats, everything and she starts up fine now.
Thanks everyone
Old 04-19-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Great place; isn't it?

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 04-19-2013

Yes it is if I got a question just ask, someone will have a solution, I also enjoy reading the threads. The more I can learn the better.
Old 04-19-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I have a bulb on my diesel fuel line. I'll never remove it. yada yada yada it's not "code" but It's a big time saver when one doesn't want to crank the engine to bleed it.

my current "project"!

Tags
atomic 4 , primer bulb