Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Eye splice in double braid

Just do it. Seriously, it's MUCH EASIER than it looks. Try it, you have absolutely nothing to lose except a couple dollars of line. Buy 15' of Sta-Set and practice a few times. For now, stay away from Sta-Set-X or anything with a parallel core - they're challenging to work.

I taught myself to splice 3 strand at 14 yrs and double braid a couple years later. The ability to do an eye on a moment's notice is a great liberator. I save splicing for "quiet - time" when I want to relax in the cockpit at the end of the day.

Ironically, I have 119' of 11mm VPC into which I need to put an eye. NE Ropes suggests a core-to-core eye which is new to me. I'm hesitant but will give it a go.... my manhood is at stake...I'll post a picture if it comes out ok....
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-19-2013
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
It is not that hard. In fact, I think it is much easier than it looks. Follow the video from New England Ropes and pause at each stage. Last week I was splicing 5/16 line for lazy jacks and found that using the the next size smaller fid to pull the core through the cover made it much easier. Use the proper size fid for everything else though.

Other things I learned:
- tape the core/cover to the end of the fid before inserting in case you lose the end of the fid.
- When pulling the cover back over at the very last step, keep tension on the core so it does not bunch up. His tip of snapping the cover is great. You may have to snap it a couple of times to get it perfect.
- Use a water soluble pen if you do not want to see the pen marks on your final eye.
- Mark the core with 1, 2 and 3 lines respectively to know exactly where you are.
- Be patient. You can do it.
+1
Especially the part about pausing at each stage. Get yourself some inexpensive line to practice a few times on before you do the real one. It really isn't hard when you get the hang of it, and you will be grateful to have the skill!
'78 Pearson 30, #1099
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If you can do a double braid then you can also do a core to core class 2 splice. It's hard to get the cover back in there, but it also isn't necessary (most instructions don't even bother trying to tell you how).
Old 04-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I replaced three halyards on my last boat and spliced everything myself. I agree with Sabre, it really isn't hard to do a basic eye. For some of the more complicated things, like the single-line reefer, I can see where those would be more of a challenge. But an eye isn't that bad - heck, even I can do it.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2013

yossarian is on a distinguished road

Just go for it. An eye splice is completely different from an end-to-end constant diameter splice. The end-to-end is legitimately difficult and puzzling, the eye splice is easier than it looks. Once you learn how easy it is, you'll want to put eye splices in everything.
Old 04-19-2013

pcarlson is on a distinguished road

You can use a coat hanger as a fid, it will fit any size line, almost. Just bend it to the shape of the fid, then bend the ends 90 degrees facing each other. The last part is the hardest. 1/4 in. is all you want at the ends. The ends are somewhat sharp and act as a hook in the line, then just tape over the core and fid end.
Old 04-19-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

With a bowline I can rig it in less time that it took to type the first 4 words, and I can move the line a few feet in a few years to spread the chafe.

I believe 80% of splices are just for fun and looks, while against function. Only if the line is very highly loaded, knotting unreliable (Amsteel) or when space is very tight (rare). Sometimes worse (jam in a block).

I think the only splice on my boat may be on the anchor rode.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Half of the splices on my boat are for fun. I'd count ones like the eyesplice in the end of my mainsheet that way. I could even argue that a bowline is better because I can reposition it and make the line last longer.

Half are because I'm cheap on materials and like to do the end to end splice of Amsteel to double braid (so the time doesn't bother me). You get something as strong and effective as Samson Warpspeed for the price of XLS. It's great for high load low stretch lines like reefing lines, outhaul, etc. I wish I knew how to do it before buying my current (expensive) halyards.

I am happier with eye splices and a soft shackle at the end of my jib sheets than using bowlines there. The only knot is the small diamond knot in the soft shackle so my jib sheets blow across the standing rigging a lot more easily than using bowlines or even a cow hitch on the clew.

The other useful splices are the 16 brummel splices on my life lines and 2 brummel splices on my topping lift. These are places where Amsteel makes sense as a replacement for cable.
Old 04-19-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Once you understand the steps it's really easy. Don't try it on old line.
Jim
Old 04-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

As has been said, get some line to practice on because it takes a few tries to get it right. Follow all the instructions exactly and if you can get the fancy splicing fids/wands, it'll make it easier although the final "milking" stage is the hardest--PURE WORK. Get some good leather gloves and a vice to do this final stage.