Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Paying for Document

To be honest, I was shocked we had to renew them at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys, I take a different view. Everyone here complains about govt. handouts and people stepping up to get free anything from the govt. We've been living on a credit card for years and if paying $26 for a service that many of us want and/or need, will help slow the massive amounts of red ink, so be it.
Old 04-20-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

I don't disagree with the principle - I do with the amount. My state license would cost less that $26.

I think some of the ideas here would make sense - e-filing to reduce costs, registration lasting 3 or 5 years, or in force until the boat gets sold, etc.

I am a fan of the USCG, and think it only fair that we pay for a service we receive; having it renewed each year for free was nice, but I was also surprised at receiving it for free as processing the paperwork takes time and costs money for the USCG - so we should all be open to at least covering their costs. But I don't believe in overpaying to prop up an inefficient process, or as a "hidden tax".
chuck53 likes this.
Old 04-20-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

The similar documentation here, being the Australian Ships Register cost $1190 as a one off registration for the life of the boat. If amendments need to be made for any changes on ownership, home port etc, then a further fee is collected.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 04-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Yes, It is a hassle as it is now. 5 years would be fantastic! Still waitiing to have my 2013 document forwarded to me after 5 months. Free has been good...But every year to file with a short window to send the new document....geez. Maybe a State document would be better? Nobody out here seems to care, As long as it "looks" official.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-20-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth....I faxed in my renewal form on 4/8...got my new document in Thursday's (4/18) mail. Pretty good service if you ask me.

Last edited by chuck53; 04-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

$26 might not be all unreasonable. It seems like a lot for someone to "answer a letter" but then again even 30? years ago the cost of a somple business letter or invoice was also figured around $5, based on the paper, the stamp, the envelope, the worker, the chair and desk and utilities around them...the whole picture as opposed to the incremental price of sending out the paper. And with the same magic of numbers, somehow the USCG figures the actual hourly cost of putting up a Hercules C-130 at over $18,000 per hour. Which is within pocket change of the cost they show for some of their largest (~300 feet OAL) cutters. Same price per hour?? The magic of numbers.

Sure, something has to pay for the services but everyone gets some kind of special deal from the government. My tax dollars pay for USDA research on how to grow corn and breed hogs, or not grow peanuts. And I pay for bridges to nowhere. And subsidize airport terminal rents and the Congressional cafeteria for all I know. If boaters "get back" a service that not everyone needs, that's OK, the Fed gets something out of it too. Remember that one purpose of the documentaiton system is to give the fed a convenient list of available vessels that can be commandeered in time of war. Yes, it is not all about recreation or commerce, this is a government function with "national security" functions as well.
And there must be something (diesel fuel excise taxes?) that we're all paying "as boaters" that should be covering some expenses too.
Let the DoD pay me for filling out the paperwork.(VBG)
Old 04-20-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

We went to the website and left our comments. The surprising thing I saw was that for all of the attention this issue has received on line, there were only 800 comments. That may seem a lot, but not really for the number of boaters that will be affected. Are we once again going to be viewed as apathetic? Chuck

Old 04-20-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Got this today;
It would make a great deal more sense for a document to expire every five (5) years, lessening the bureaucracy and hassle for all parties involved.
I've been thinking 5yrs would be nice too for travelers. Or better yet, good for the term of ownership of the vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnChuck View Post
I agree, a multi year document would be ideal, but we are dealing with a government agency.Chuck
I've been hearing in the military for many years that we're going paperless. The idea, I think, was to have everything go to digital signatures and be able to email things back and forth. Still have yet to see it. We may have digital signatures but still have to print out various forms, cover sheets, and supporting documents to submit anything to different offices and probably use just as much paper as before. Now with the budget cuts, we're getting less supplies and still having to use just as much.

If they are proposing a fee due to the costs involved, they could cut costs just by not having to print up so many documents each year. It could be spaced out every 5, 10, or more years and that alone could save spending. This can also save cruisers from many headaches of trying to get a new document if they are overseas each year.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell

Last edited by Rhapsody-NS27; 04-20-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Can anyone cite an example of government ever streamlining a process or agency so that fewer employees were needed and less hassle was created for taxpayers?