Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013

Geo56 is on a distinguished road
Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice

Hi everyone! I just joined this forum and I would appreciate any advice members can give me on the best and most cost effective way to get some sailing experience.

For a little background...I live in Toronto and this Feb. I enrolled in a sailing school in Florida and enrolled in ASA courses 101, 103 & 104 an intense week. That is the extent of my sailing experience. While it has always fascinated me I never did anything about it until now. While I successfully completed the courses and my instructor said I am ready to sail I still feel overwhelmed by solo sailing - which is my goal.

None of my family or friends are into sailing and my dream is to own a boat in Florida, live on it for weeks at a time and be able to solo sail to the Caribbean! I'm 56 with grown kids and semi-retired so if I don't do it now I never will!

What is the best and most cost effective way for me to develop experience to the point where I can solo sail in the Gulf? Is there a form of sailing school that would assist me with this? I've heard of sailing clubs but because I don't live in Florida do they make sense? Would it be cheaper and better to get this experience somewhere other than Florida? Are there Captains/Skippers I can hire cheaply(!) to go out with me? If I rent a boat would the rental come with a skipper? Ultimately I'd like to buy a boat but until I get that experience and comfort level I don't even know which type of boat or features I am looking for....

Any advice, assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice

Join a sailing club where you live now. You can crew for others, on their vessel, either for free, or a portion of the operating expenses for the cruise. This is a great way to gain insight on the size features of many vessels that will work for you, and gain good practical experience.

Once you decide which vessel is your dream boat, you can then travel to Florida, and buy the boat that best fits your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-21-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

You could try the Humber College Sailing Club on your own doorstep.

Humber Sailing Club

If you want some Caribbean sailing experience you can charter and get a skipper / instructor.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-21-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

If I were in that situation, and knowing then what I know now, I would get a dingy, say a used Lightning for no more than $3k and sail every possible chance until I would feel that I could handle that boat come what may.
Look, we ALL went through the same anxiety you feel now. Just get out there and make that boat rumble.
The advantage of a used Lightning is that you will get back almost all of your original investment.
Dick
Old 04-21-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Not a bad position to be in. If you are able to travel to Florida regularly then I don't see a problem with your plan. Buy a boat, find a marina in a bay somewhere (many to choose from in Florida) and if you are able to spend 2-3 weeks at a time, several times a year sailing it you are ahead of many boat owners that live within an hour of their boats and don't sail that often.

You may find that talking to your friends about sailing in Florida every month or so will inspire some to want to join you. I wouldn't worry too much about building experience. If you manage to sail as often as you predict your competence level will increase on a steep curve. You should have enough of the basics from your classes to get you off the dock and into protected waters. From there it is just a matter of taking it easy and pushing your own limits when the time is right, you'll know when that is.

I recommend getting a boat that you can manage alone when necessary. Keep the systems simple but don'e make yourself so uncomfortable living on board that you won't want to make the trip dreading "camping" when you arrive.

I would suggest that you look at the west coast of Florida, even the panhandle area as it is MUCH less expensive to keep a boat. The bays open to the Gulf and you will never lack sailing destinations and opportunities. It is a fun trip around Key West and over to the islands.

A lot of folks own vacation homes in Florida, think of your boat as your vacation home and it doesn't sound far fetched at all. We have started referring to ours as a floating condo since we are planning short trips and not much out of the bay this year.

Stick around the forum, you will hear everything from "sell it all and circumnavigate now" advice to " don't do it, can't be done, you will certainly sink your boat, lose your fortune and start wearing a funny haircut if you keep a boat anywhere but in your yard on it's trailer" all part of what makes Sailnet a community.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience that you will gain from around here.
Cheers!
Jimmy E likes this.
Old 04-21-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Most of us just buy a boat and go sailing There is not much to single handing once you are away from the dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

There are specific periods when sailing boats move and many of them are seeking crew;
October/November; US east coast to the Caribbean or Canaries to Caribbean
April/May; Caribbean to US east coast or Europe
When we do long passages we will usually take a couple of crew and we will always choose a totally inexperienced crew member with a good attitude over an experienced one with a bad attitude, as would many skippers. A lot of us actually prefer novices, because many experienced crew can be PITA's and have a lot of "bad habits". I say this to give you encouragement; this is one of the very few places where a good attitude outweighs experience, by far.
If you get lucky, your skipper might pay for your repatriation (we don't), but if not, you must have funds enough to cover a flight to your country of origin from where ever you leave the boat or you may not get aboard a boat at all.
Also, IMO sailing schools will not give you the skills nor the confidence that a 1500 mile ocean voyage will. Save your money for airfare!
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2013

The idea of joining a crew is a fascinating one that I would like to explore further. How can I find a boat that needs a crew member? I would be willing to sail to Europe or down south!
Old 04-21-2013

Thanks for great advice!
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 04-21-2013

Brainologist is on a distinguished road

Hey Geo56,

Given that you live in Toronto, I'd suggest that you consider joining Harbourfront Centre Sailing and Powerboating (HCSP) Club on Queen's Quay. The marina and club house are located at the intersection of Queen's Quay and Reese Street.

The club has a fleet of shared sailboats ranging from 20 to 35 ft which are available to members at no marginal cost. You can either skipper yourself or go out with someone more experienced as crew. There are a number of race nights and social sails every week.

It is by far the most cost-effective way to actively sail in Toronto.

HCSP is having an open house weekend on April 27 and 28th (look it up). You can check out the boats and get free rides

I've been a member for the past couple of years and have greatly enjoyed it

Hope this helps,
BR

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.