Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Making Lemonade

We're still waiting to hear from Haven Harbour about the engine/transmission on our big boat, and given that there's an insurance claim pending, I'm reluctant to go aboard again out of fear that I'll somehow get blamed for something. Our family schedule also cut back on my ability to get down there today, so it wasn't the end of the world. I was, however, able to continue my efforts on restoring the 15' Albacore that I bought last fall and that's sitting in my driveway at home.

Over Easter weekend, I scraped and put a rust-colored primer coat on the trailer that came with the boat. The trailer now looked like Towmater from the Cars movies (those with kids will understand), but it looked a lot better than the mint green and rust decor it had been sporting. Last weekend, I was able to get out and begin washing the boat and buffing the hull. That portion of my driveway being fairly level, I untied all of the straps from the boat except the winch and proceeded to wash her really well, scrubbing off LOTS of dirt. Then I started with an oxidation remover. The washing and oxidation removal process took longer than expected, so I left the boat untied with the expectation that I'd come back this weekend and finish it. I noticed that the boat had rolled forward a touch and that the keel was dropping (the trailer needs better keel support between two rollers), but I didn't pay much attention to it because it looked like I could easily winch it back up. The boat also needs a cleat to lock the keel in the "up" position, and that was in the "to do" list for today, along with a few other items.

On Wednesday, I got a panicked call from my wife. A contractor with whom we had been speaking about getting a new driveway had shown up unannounced and began ripping out our driveway without authorization. They towed the Albacore off the driveway and onto our grass, but in doing so they dragged the keel across about 15' of driveway and the keel cut a line through the grass. The dragging keel also caused the boat to slip further backward on the trailer because I had left the winch strap a little slack. They left the boat and trailer with the bow facing downhill, and that meant that all the water from the rains on Thursday and Friday was pooling in the bow. I tried to lift the front of the trailer to help empty the boat, but the back of the trailer was resting on the keel, and lifting the front pushed the keel into the (very rocky) ground a little bit.

Because the contractor left a debris pile at the end of the driveway (and debris all along the driveway, which we had to clean up) when we told them to leave, I had no way of getting our SUV over to the trailer without turfing my lawn. I couldn't just turn the trailer around by hand because of the keel, and I didn't have a good way of safely jacking up the boat to tuck the keel in. The keel was at an angle that didn't allow me to just pull it up out of the boat, either. In thinking it through yesterday, the only thing I could do was to push the boat off the side of the trailer, so that's what I did. The keel took a big divot as it turned sideways and then popped out of the ground, at which point I was able to disengage it from the boat so I didn't do any more damage to the keel housing (I could see some stress fractures around that area). The boat wound up upside down, and in that process the traveler track pulled free from the hull, but otherwise the boat seems okay. I was able to turn the boat around so the water that remained inside was finally able to drain out, and turned the trailer around so I could get it back toward the house more easily.

Since the boat was off the trailer, today I painted a second, blue coat of paint on the trailer, thoroughly scrubbed the cockpit of the boat (much easier to do on the ground than in the trailer), and did some additional refinishing work that needed to be done. I reattached the freshly repainted keel, then my wife helped me winch the boat back onto the trailer.

The trailer looks much better now, and the boat is a lot cleaner than before. I also am more aware of some additional work that needs to be done (including using some 5200 on the keel housing and rebedding the traveler track where the screws ripped out). I'm still REALLY mad at the contractor, but at least I was able to make some progress on the boat (though I'd have been a LOT farther along if this hadn't happened!!!). With any luck, I may actually have her ready to test-rig next weekend, just in time for an early May launch.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 04-21-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Making Lemonade

Jim,
Keep a positive attitude.
Your luck is bound to change.
If I were you I would not be drinking lemon-aide unless it had something in it.
downeast450, Irunbird and jimgo like this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013

paradiselostparrot is on a distinguished road

At least its not cool aide
Old 04-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Dang Jim, it keeps piling up don't it.
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-22-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Jeez, if you're dealing with contractors, boat mechanics and insurance adjusters at the same time you need to switch to rum straight up.
TakeFive and jimgo like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-22-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Is the contractor still alive?

Gary
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 04-22-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

After reading what the 'unauthorised' contractor did whilst on your property I would have touched nothing, photographed the boat, grass and driveway mess and called a lawyer! Arrogant bloody contractors sh!t me to tears, they would only be thinking about their next payday when moving your boat to get their work done. I know this 'cause as a gardener I took a liberty once (never again I tell you)...my client asked me to do a job at another house she owned but rented out privately via a realestate agent. No-one home so I got stuck in. I failed though to seek the tenants permission to enter the property, I just wanted to get the job done, get paid and get the hell out of there. Man did I get blasted, deservedly so and could easily have been criminally charged with trespassing! Obviously I never heard from the client again and couldn't/wouldn't charge anything for that job. Mucho stupido...My bad!!! And if the tennant claimed her $5000 plasma T.V got stolen then I would have been completely and utterly screwed.... to a cross with no ladder or EMS in sight!!!
Old 04-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

DJAustralia, that's exactly what I did. I have a lot of pictures, and talked to three different attorneys that I know. In hindsight, it might have been wise to call the police because he was trespassing. I could have had him and his crew arrested. But that's not really in my nature.

Gary, thankfully I live about 20 minutes from my office, and I was able to cool down a bit while I drove home.

I have new contractors coming out to give me estimates on repairing everything this guy did, which essentially means getting a new driveway. I had hoped to wait until we knew what was going on with the Allmand before we committed to the driveway. That really isn't an option now.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-22-2013
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Jim, just hang in there. A little set back is good for building the characters. Sun will always rise and shine again. We await to hear a happy ending.

Good luck.
jimgo likes this.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-22-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Jim,

I have a very good friend who's "name" is "Tooty". Tooty is 6'6", weighs 265 and rides a Harley. He lives in Jersey. Not far away. He "solves" problems like this. Shall I give him your name?

Down
jimgo likes this.