Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree137Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Politics and Moderation

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
This is what I tried to do

Paul T
What happen to that awesome signature line? Faster deleted that, didn't he? Well, you deserve a recipe for trying!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Think I'll use Group9's latest post as my signature line.
So, what do you think about that moderators?
Old 04-24-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the author of the following.

"It's an age old phrase that many people use - "You shouldn't talk about religion or politics." Why is that? The obvious answer is that they can cause conflict. But it doesn't have to be that way. Like most important topics, religion and politics are positions that are held tightly by many individuals who have strong convictions. That's okay. But that doesn't mean that we should ignore these potentially volatile topics all together. Because of their great importance, shouldn't that be more reason to discuss them lovingly and with great respect? Can't we speak passionately and lovingly and come out on opposite ends of an issue and still be friends?
Maybe people who say that you shouldn't talk about religion or politics are afraid of having their worldview examined. If your beliefs can't stand up to the scrutiny of others, are they really worth holding? If I've done my homework and I am confident in my beliefs, I'm not going to be offended at hearing an opposing perspective. We can ultimately disagree, but neither of us should be offended if we are confident in our position. I suspect that many people have not given a lot of thought about their position, and therefore they feel insecure when someone simply questions them. A thoughtful discussion is a great way to reason through what you believe, the problem is many people haven't thought through the issue because the discussions are not taking place. Instead we desire to be blissfully happy in our shallow conversations about trite topics such as the weather, sports, and celebrity gossip, because heaven forbid, we may disagree with someone. I don't think we should neglect the weightier issues of life and simply stick with lighthearted chit-chat only."

"Never Talk About Religion Or Politics"
Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I agree with the author of the following.

"It's an age old phrase that many people use - "You shouldn't talk about religion or politics." Why is that? The obvious answer is that they can cause conflict. But it doesn't have to be that way. Like most important topics, religion and politics are positions that are held tightly by many individuals who have strong convictions. That's okay. But that doesn't mean that we should ignore these potentially volatile topics all together. Because of their great importance, shouldn't that be more reason to discuss them lovingly and with great respect? Can't we speak passionately and lovingly and come out on opposite ends of an issue and still be friends?
Maybe people who say that you shouldn't talk about religion or politics are afraid of having their worldview examined. If your beliefs can't stand up to the scrutiny of others, are they really worth holding? If I've done my homework and I am confident in my beliefs, I'm not going to be offended at hearing an opposing perspective. We can ultimately disagree, but neither of us should be offended if we are confident in our position. I suspect that many people have not given a lot of thought about their position, and therefore they feel insecure when someone simply questions them. A thoughtful discussion is a great way to reason through what you believe, the problem is many people haven't thought through the issue because the discussions are not taking place. Instead we desire to be blissfully happy in our shallow conversations about trite topics such as the weather, sports, and celebrity gossip, because heaven forbid, we may disagree with someone. I don't think we should neglect the weightier issues of life and simply stick with lighthearted chit-chat only."

"Never Talk About Religion Or Politics"
Hello my old friend!!! I am sorry we never got back together in St Pete. Please tell your beautiful bride we said hi. Enjoyed the talk and beers.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What happen to that awesome signature line? Faster deleted that, didn't he? Well, you deserve a recipe for trying!!

Brian
No, I deleted it and my avatar myself. TDW is not a big fan of my posts so I was afraid he would blow me off the air!!

Paul T
blowinstink likes this.
Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
No, I deleted it and my avatar myself. TDW is not a big fan of my posts so I was afraid he would blow me off the air!!

Paul T
Wombats are large rodents. What did you expect??

(HEHE!)

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Wombats are large rodents. What did you expect??

(HEHE!)

Brian
From TDW:

#7 (permalink) 02-04-2013 - Add Post To Favorites
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator Join Date: Oct 2006

Re: Why high performance cars should be banned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What a stupid stupid thread. Unbelievable that anyone can post this garbage. "

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/politi...ld-banned.html

I was not surprised when he said my post was "stupid" & "garbage". Generally, when someone dis-agrees with you they don't offer compliments.

Paul T
Old 04-24-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Speaking only for myself, I don't see a problem with requiring all avatars (and the text) and signature lines to be sailing related. It is a Sailing site first and foremost, and users should identify themselves in relation to sailing. (Granted, this could inflict some pain on CD's ego, but that's a small (very small) price to pay.

There are some humorous signature lines that aren't really sailing related, but do reflect a sense of the person's personality (rather than beliefs, etc.), and some discretion would be necessary. But all in all, I don't think it's an imposition on anyone to use the self-identification features in a sailing related way. After all, we all came here as sailors.

Just my 2˘'s worth.
bljones likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-24-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail:1020770
Well I see all my esteemed friends are lining up on the other side of this

You guys make me laugh too because you display on this one topic the same attitudes and assumptions which can be prevalent in the OTH/REL/POL thread which you rail against. Its just that this time you think you cause is more just so its ok. Your intolerance of others in this instance who dare to have political opinions in your precious space will increase to topics which you don't want to talk about. In this case your intolerance is not even masked behind PC.

It isn't enough that these topics have been given there own special place, now the move afoot is to censor them out of the whole site.

It isn't enough that you can just ignore ad not go in these areas, you make broad assumptions and statements about spillover. So either you are going into these areas ( which clearly you are predisposed to upset you) or you make unfounded statements.

You are displaying the same intolerance you speak against.

You make assumptions and single out that SN only does the OTH/POL/REL thread for money. ( I got news for you the only reason they have any thread is for money). SN will ban any thread which will cause them to lose that ( Tartan for example). Doing things for money is not something new. We all do it. Some of you benefit monetarily from posting on this site by displaying your names and getting them known. No harm in that, but lets not castigate others for doing the same.

You want to call people names just like they do--- Lets call people who post there the sewer for instance. Now that's grown up and civil as you look down you nose at them as less thans.

You want to make unsubstantiated statements like there is spillover into the regular forums. Give me examples...specific ones. You are painting with a broad brush here. You paint everyone who posts in the other forum as lepers.

I see a lot of "assertions" but I see no proof to any spillover. Lots of conjecture and assumption.

So do you want to remove the topics next which are controversial such as anchors, sailing to Cuba, Active Captain, whose town is the sailing Capitol from these forums.
The Bounty thread was not in the POL/REL/?OTH forum but had many similar nasty personal posts

There already is a site where you can go where there is complete censorship-CF,

I know this next statement will not be popular, but just think about it

So if you think that the attitudes are out of control in the POL/OTH/REL forums point the finger in the correct direction. What is the main difference between there and other threads. Same posters many times in all threads. The difference is the way the rules are enforced by the MODS. By their own admission too. There is no need to get rid of the threads if you have these thoughts of spillover, just ask the MODS to be more consistent.
I really don't want to hear we don't have enough time. Get more MODS if that is the case.

I love the mods here. I appreciate what they do. I can extol them when they do well. But I will criticize them when they don't whether they are volunteers or not.

The MODS by allowing a double standard on the same site when it comes to civility have helped allow the attitudes in the OTH/POL/REL threads. I don't believe it spills over as I see no proof of that. You cant be inconsistent with your children or employees like this, so how do you think it works here.

I like SN and am passionate. I post a lot on here. I am not a marine professional so I have no benefits other than the friendships and knowledge I have either learned or helped with. I have opinions yes, strong ones sometimes. I can be a prickly poster if you treat me that way. I can be the opposite too if you treat me that way.

It is a sailing forum so you should have to post on the sailing part too ( most do BTW).

Just because it isn't something you want to do doesn't mean to get rid of it. Just don't go in. Don't ridicule the people who do. All are sailors...so you want to get rid of sailors...or just the ones who disagree with you?
Yea man, the intolerant shouting down the minority. THAT'S politics at its finest. Why ignore when you can destroy?
chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.