Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree137Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Politics and Moderation

Roger that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Hmmm. If you're returning more for the OT section than for the sailing topics, are we doing something wrong?
This has been an infinitely debated topic for the entire 5 years I've been here. SNOT serves a very important purpose. It gives sailors a place to talk and fight about stuff that they're interested in that's not sailing related (be it politics, religion, or just fighting). But, they're still sailors.

If a forum is ONLY about sailing topics, it can get boring. The way SNOT is set up is just about perfect. It's completely hidden from non-members, it's insanely easy to avoid for non-interested members, and it's lightly moderated but still maintained so things don't go completely off the rails. It's really pretty perfect.

The issue is just as CD has stated it. SNOTs need to be able to chill their kung fu when they come up on deck. If they just can't do it because they've gotten too worked up down below and bash everyone in sight, then they should be flicked.

When I first came out of FC (the first thread I became interested in when I first joined - and which was squarely OT) and into the sailing topics, the OT-style fighting continued - from me and most of the others that I'd been going round with. But after a while, it all died down. Now I rarely hang out in SNOT. I'm more interested in the sailing than the fighting...for now (I do reserve the right to jump back in the ring as needed).

So, it's simple. Keep SNOT. Lots of the sailors around here love it.

And SNOTters, have a little self-control. The style of SNOT snippery that is infinitely entertaining for you guys down below is really tiresome on deck.

Kind of like this guy:

(bl - I think I stole this video from you. You used on me one time. Booyah!)
tdw and Minnewaska like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmm. If you're returning more for the OT section than for the sailing topics, are we doing something wrong?
a. If this were the off-topic forum I could flog you for misquoation; I said "often" not "more for the OT section than for the sailing topics." We should always be careful with misquotations and distortions of meaning. I'm certain if you checked my post count you would find only occational OT sniping, and often nothing for weeks at a time.

b. Thus, there is no logic that there is something wrong with the forum. And if I liked OT better than the rest, that would still not be wrong.

-----

Basically, everything Smack Daddy said.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dabnis,
You should work out the difference between an opinion, that your post was doubly stupid, and censorship or moderation. I don't believe I censored your doubly stupid post did I ? No, I simply opined that it was doubly stupid.
Now I dare say that there is many a Dabnis post that I disagree with yet they remain intact do they not ?
So fear not. If it is within my generally liberal (sorry for using such language) interpretation of the SailNet Scriptures then you can say what you like.
Cheers
Andrew B

ps - someone mentioned the word Dill and that Dill referred to male genitalia. Wrong. A Dill is simply an all purpose idiot.
Andrew,

Well, you bit, finally Yes, you were kind enough not to delete the post.
However,the thought of the big sword hanging over my head keeps me a bit nervous.

Paul T
Old 04-26-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
a. If this were the off-topic forum I could flog you for misquoation; I said "often" not "more for the OT section than for the sailing topics." We should always be careful with misquotations and distortions of meaning. I'm certain if you checked my post count you would find only occational OT sniping, and often nothing for weeks at a time.

b. Thus, there is no logic that there is something wrong with the forum. And if I liked OT better than the rest, that would still not be wrong.

-----

Basically, everything Smack Daddy said.
True. Often does not necessarily mean more.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Such as...
Specifically the Active Captain thread

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-26-2013

Quote:
No I don't think we are doing anything wrong. In fact I think the multi facetted approach is a good one. There are some OTH and chat followers who do not ever post in the sailing threads.

The OT threads are part of Sailnet just like the CHAT is.

Personally I don't think the Chat should be part of Sailnet either as many of the conversations are not related to sailing.

However I am not for getting rid of it as it draws people and some people like it so far be it from me to push my ideals on the entire group.

I can choose to ignore it which I do, just like SN members can choose to ignore the OTH threads.

I think people especially the MODS have to be sensitive to not treating people who participate in the " fringe" non sailing threads or chats as less than or aberrant personalities who ruin Sailnet. That is an incredibly short sighted acessment.

Someone like the OTH categories as they have 181,000 posts.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Specifically the Active Captain thread
But Chef, not once, but at least twice, you told me to eliminate it. You were upset that I did not eliminate it (it was the very last post to that thread) and now you are upset that I did.

Not sure how to win in that situation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Chuck,

Not sure what you exact point was here. many of us belong to other threads and many of us are adult enough to understand the relationship oft the pressures which can be brought to bear through legal means on companies/ sites like this. That was a statement of the obvious.

Pooh poohing it and saying its as was in the past and this too will pass does not really address the issues I have enumerated.

I understand the boards right/ need to keep[ itself out of lawsuits, and that it will take the easiest/ cheapest route to avoid them.

In this case I believe the whole thread should be eliminated,,,that I could understand..... What I cant understand is leaving the parts standing, unless the board is siding with the poster ( Siegel) in this case.

I want to make sure I understand who you are referring to in this...was it me?

I suggest the board censor the whole thread and eliminate it.

Dave
I did what you wanted....

Brian
smackdaddy likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
But Chef, not once, but at least twice, you told me to eliminate it. You were upset that I did not eliminate it (it was the very last post to that thread) and now you are upset that I did.

Not sure how to win in that situation??

I did what you wanted....

Brian
That's an interesting way of looking at it. SN gets caught censoring posters threads in a way which potentially signifys a bias and I get what I wanted by gettinghe whole thread censored. Really

Lets see and look at the history of the mysterious disappearing posts....then when challenged and as why there was no explaination

When challenged again with the above statement that someone censored some of the dialogue but that they only decided to select on side of the opinion to censor leaving the other side up, I guess you have now decided to get rid of the whole thread. ( yes that was what I suggested, but not what I wanted)

What i wanted ws transparency....an explaination either in the thread or a PM . I wanted an explaination why my, Cannucksailor, and a quoted letter from the president of NMEA was censored with no explaination and why the other posters were allowed to stand.

Yes I suggested it was biased censorship should that be allowed to stand and the whole thread should be censored if it was needed. And I also said transparency was important here also.

If we can't talk about Active Captain and the pertinent individuals ...tell us that.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think we should discussing sailing again. I'm lying aboard right now and none of this seems important.
smackdaddy and joebeach like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.