Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree137Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Politics and Moderation

Someone once said "Don't discuss politics or religion in polite/mixed company".
I try to adhere to that edict.
This board is as "free" as one or two of the other, differing topic boards I visit regularly; due mostly to the philosophy of the Admin and moderators.
I fully support the "light touch" exhibited here.

Thanks SN.... Well done!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

On this one I am fully with Brian. The signature should be something that has to do with the profile of the poster, not a political statement unless this one is truly a very generically one and universally accepted.

The argument that they are displayed in sailing forums is a decisive one to veto political propaganda or political statements made that way on all forums.

I agree that this is a lot more fun, They are really enjoying themselves and I wonder who really cares, not about this but about what each one chose to put in his signature, even if it shows bad taste (that falls on the subscriber).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate how literally the moderators wield their title here. SN is a great place to hang, and both the citizens and the sheriffs are the reason.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-23-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I appreciate that the moderators of SN sometimes agonize over their responsibility, and I believe that they do an excellent (and usually thankless) job of maintaining civility.

The nature of all internet forums is that we are all faceless, can be somewhat anonymous, and our only presence to the wider audience is the ideas that we take the time to type for all to see.

A consequence of posting to a forum, as opposed to email or PM, is that posts are visible to anyone that views that thread. Thus, the posters are reaching a wider audience than simply the person to whom they may be responding. This one to many relationship tends to attract trolls. Quoting Wikipedia;
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
Any part of a post can be considered disruptive, this includes the avatar (and I can think of a few examples), the custom user title, the body of the post, and the signature line. Any part of a post can detract from an otherwise valuable insight. I believe that other posters respect, and value constructive contribution. That is THE reason that I am here. My signature line (and I don't always include it) is a statement of my SAILING credentials.

I appreciate that there is an Off Topic thread, in that it gives the gun lobby, pro-life, abortionists, religious and political fanatics, and all their opponents rest a place where they can vent. Although, I believe that there are other forums, on other sites, where their contributions would be more appropriate. Kudos to SailNet and the mod's. for allowing this.

If someone takes offense to any part of my posts, please let me know in a PM. If I continued to offend, I expect that I would eventually be banned from the site.

The bottom line is that SailNet is supposed to be about Sailing. If someone takes offense to a signature line, an avatar, the custom user title, or the body of a post, then chances are that it is offensive, and I believe that the moderators are doing the larger SailNet community a service to police them.
chef2sail and BentSailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 04-23-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I always hit New Posts no politics, I did go there once or twice but its all US, I have no Idea what is going on so just like the rest of those there I have an opinion and my opinion is correct.
chef2sail likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Folks around here become excitable enough discussing anchors.

Posted in a gun thread once that was enough. How y'all wanna run that country of yours over there is up to you to figure out, i'm here for the sailing. Just keep Disneyland open, and your dollar down until I have ordered my new chartplotter from West Marine.
I Love your signature! Just for that, you get a FREE BANANA BREAD RECIPE!

Brian
chall03 likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Now just wait a damn minute Brian.

Are you suggesting sailors can be opinionated?

Problem is that you people just don't understand I am always right. How many times do I have to keep telling you that!??? (smile)

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On this one I am fully with Brian.
Hang on... when have you and I ever disagreed????? (snicker)

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Thank you everyone for the very nice comments. Most of the thanks should go to the other mods as they have really been taking the brunt of everything as I have been travelling a lot (and will continue to).

The key point of all of this was that we may have to ask some of you to make some signature or post modifications. If or when we do, it is not that we agree or disagree with you. We are doing it because we feel it is the best thing for the forum as a whole.

Thanks again everyone.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-23-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

First off, a great big thanks to the moderators who keep the peace, Thank You.

Also I want to thank Al Gore for taking the initiative in creating the internet. I have developed thick skin since his creation has spread, Thank You Al Gore.

I have only complained once and PMed a poster once over what I considered an offensive totally off topic comment in a somewhat delicate thread. Since then my skin has grown another layer or two.
Cruisingdad likes this.

Last edited by Captainmeme; 04-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.