Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree137Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Politics and Moderation

CD post these things once in a while just so folks will say thanks, makes him feel good after looking at himself in the mirror every morning.

While you're doing all this thinking ...could you rename the off topic P&R section the "sewer"? Call it what it is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-23-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
CD post these things once in a while just so folks will say thanks, makes him feel good after looking at himself in the mirror every morning.

While you're doing all this thinking ...could you rename the off topic P&R section the "sewer"? Call it what it is
Does that mean that nothing else he sees in that mirror will make him feel good about himself?
Old 04-23-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

First, a thanks for the original post.

Second, I can appreciate the reason for having a politics/etc forum. I don't, however, think that it is necessary. This is, first and foremost, a sailing forum. This isn't a politics, gun, war, ethnocentric, or religious forum. The problem lies in the differing of opinions and ideas that, by their very nature, are prone to cause dissent. While we may be passionate about certain beliefs, there is a time and a place for those beliefs. When discussing sailing, only factual references to a region's politics and how it affects sailing would be acceptable, including reputable sources cited for information. Comparing that scenario to "I heard that island is run by fascists, and they confiscated my boat last time I was there and strung me up by my toenails and beat me like a pinata because I came from a wealthier country" is unacceptable.

I have been on other forums where politics, religion, and other sensitive topics are verboten. If a post crosses that line, it is automatically deleted and a warning is issued. It has worked very well, and I continue to love that forum. Don't get me wrong - opinions can still run strong, and conversations can become heated, but at least that happens about the original purpose of the forum.

That being said, who do catamarans like flipping over spontaneously, and why are monos only half a real boat?
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 04-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I don't think its necessary to ridicule, demean, or make the people on SN who like to occasionally post in the Politics/ Religion and Other threads feel less than for doing so

It is your right to refrain from reading or posting there but believe you have some sort of superiority or "high road" by creating a caste system singling out as posters as "less than" by designating the place people share opinions a "sewer" is unnecessary.

My friend you and I will respectfully always disagree about this and because we don't agree doesn't mean I have to go to the "back of the bus".
blowinstink likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-24-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Second, I can appreciate the reason for having a politics/etc forum. I don't, however, think that it is necessary. This is, first and foremost, a sailing forum.
I participate in the off topic and politics forums and I don't agree with what you said. This site is about more than sailing, and it is nice to have a place where people can just talk about whatever they want, discuss the days events, etc. Even the arguments foster a sense of community in my opinion. Besides, without the politics forum a lot of people would never understand how wrong they are.

Please support my
Old 04-24-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
Second, I can appreciate the reason for having a politics/etc forum. I don't, however, think that it is necessary. This is, first and foremost, a sailing forum. This isn't a politics, gun, war, ethnocentric, or religious forum. The problem lies in the differing of opinions and ideas that, by their very nature, are prone to cause dissent. While we may be passionate about certain beliefs, there is a time and a place for those beliefs. When discussing sailing, only factual references to a region's politics and how it affects sailing would be acceptable, including reputable sources cited for information. Comparing that scenario to "I heard that island is run by fascists, and they confiscated my boat last time I was there and strung me up by my toenails and beat me like a pinata because I came from a wealthier country" is unacceptable.

I have been on other forums where politics, religion, and other sensitive topics are verboten. If a post crosses that line, it is automatically deleted and a warning is issued. It has worked very well, and I continue to love that forum. Don't get me wrong - opinions can still run strong, and conversations can become heated, but at least that happens about the original purpose of the forum.
Just clicking like isn't good enough. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I participate in the off topic and politics forums and I don't agree with what you said. This site is about more than sailing, and it is nice to have a place where people can just talk about whatever they want ...
I don't agree. This place at least should be about sailing. The emotions and disagreements that develop in OT/Pol/Rel do demonstrably effect the discussions in the main sailing forums.

There are plenty of other places for political discussion. Why should SailNet provide another place for those conversations? I continue to believe that the best thing SailNet can do to secure it's place in the big four sailing fora is to delete OT/Pol/Rel.
JimMcGee and T37Chef like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Its one of life's irreconcilable disagreements, to have or not to have OT. I had a couple of discussions in there years ago, but its clearly for those that find those issues to be sport, not open minded discussion. The really clash isn't between two opposing views that find it to be sport to disagree, its between one that finds it to be sport and another that is trying to be rational. Boom.

I have a member on my ignore list that posted a factually incorrect statement that I challenged until they eventually admitted it was wrong. However, in their admission they wanted to continue the argument over something else and I refused to engage beyond the point I wanted to clarify. They went apoplectic when I wouldn't continue the fight. It was sport. I avoid OT like the plague now.

There is no doubt that it spills over into the sailing threads. Occasionally, someone will post a scathing retort to an actual sailing topic and suggest all kinds of stubborness, etc, that isn't in the thread. It had to come from previous sword fighting elsewhere.
T37Chef likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-24-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I think the guy promoting gun control with every post, should have that part deleted.
The precipitating cause of this thread.
Old 04-24-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Actually, this thread (for the most part) strikes me as group think. I consider a signature to be like the ads on the side of forum or blog or a bumper sticker; read them if you like, or don't. It's not a person coming up to you and saying "I think...."

Is our collective skin grown so thin that we're offended by non-profane bumper stickers? Certainly any political sticker would be improper, by that measure.
OK..... I can come up with a myriad of "signature lines" that I would like to use that express some of my political, secular and religious viewpoints. I do believe that if I used them however, I would likely be on the receiving end of "letter bombs" to say the least.
Old 04-24-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Speculation on my part, but I suspect that SailNet administration (not the moderators) provide OT/Pol/Rel areas because that increases traffic and user accounts, which in turn helps them sell ads. I offer that if OT/Pol/Rel is deleted SailNet can make the case to advertisers that the audience is more likely to include those that will click through and buy products.

Instead, OT/Pol/Rel generates a hostile environment that drives away people that will buy and encourages people that don't.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Closed Thread