Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree137Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Politics and Moderation

I tend to agree with Resolute and Auspicious.

There are people on this forum, who don't contribute to sailing discussions at all, and live exclusively in the OT forums. Brenda Walker is a prime example of that.

If you want to have OT/Political/Religious discussions that do not relate to sailing, there are forums specifically for that, plus you can have these OT discussions via PM, and the live chat feature now available on Sailnet.

I know the real purpose of the OT forums: It's a place to contain the "static", from those people who simply can't help themselves from engaging in these kinds of discussions, because moderators don't want to drive traffic away from the forums, or alienate some people.

It doesn't help that taxes and politics (two very inflammatory topics) do tend to affect the sailing community. That's how our otherwise productive discussions tend to get de-railed. I don't mind discussing taxes and politics as they pertain to sailing, but once we get off that path, I just vacate the forum and find something else to do.
JimMcGee, T37Chef and Seaduction like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the OT forum and view it as sport, just as debating and trials can be viewed as sport.

Sailors are by and large a fairly intelligent and successful group, so I especially appreciate the divergent, articulate viewpoints. You cannot always find that on other forums. It also helps to know some of the other members here better through their worldview and politics. At least we all share an interest in sailing, so we can't be all bad.

It is no big deal to me. I am friends with most opposing counsel in my trial work. Most of us accept the fact that you can have a difference of opinion and heated arguments without being personally adversarial.

Some posters should probably stay out of the OT forums because they have too much invested in their viewpoints, have thin skin, or take everything too personally. Those persons veer too far into personal attacks and every dispute becomes personal instead of substantive. You can tell they are seething behind the language in their posts.

Since SailNet is overall fairly highly moderated and civil, it helps to have a subforum where we can blow off some steam at each other. The OT forums add to, rather than detract from, SailNet.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-24-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

This is the "Sailnet Community". How do I know this? It says it right on top. Communities are composed of many, and diverse, folks. Some here, it would seem, have no interest in life if it doesn't relate to sailing. And that's all well and good. I'm certainly not going to demean, denigrate, or otherwise put them down for what seems to me, a very narrow focus. That's merely ... and only ... my perception. There's nothing that makes it the "right", or "correct" perception.

The point being, not everyone who likes sailing, is the same. Some are more invested, some less. Some enjoy talking about things other than sailing, with the people they "know" here on Sailnet, rather than go off to a different single interest forum. That's why there's an off topic forum. If you're a single interest, sailing only person, off topic is something you have to go out of your way to get to. Something you don't even have to deal with, unless somebody with more emotion than sense, drags it into the sailing area.

Evidently ... no, let's be blunt, obviously, there are those here, who don't want anyone in the community that doesn't think like they do about what constitutes a community. How that differs from the "hostility" they cite in off topic is a mystery.
knothead likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am friends with most opposing counsel in my trial work. Most of us accept the fact that you can have a difference of opinion and heated arguments without being personally adversarial.
James, I enjoy a good discussion with others who feel as you do. But as we stumbled toward last year's election it became harder and harder to have debate without rancor. I was taken aback at some of the positions and conspiracy theories I heard from otherwise intelligent people.

These days I choose carefully who I engage in philosophical and political discussions. The boat is a "politics free zone" and I'm in the camp that would like to see SailNet go that way. But given the traffic that OT gets and the financial reality of running an online business I can't fault the folks at SailNet for keeping it around.

PS. My political statement is in my signature.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-24-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Why the well you want to announce you are a troll

I guess you will be better without the advertise

Regards

Paulo
Just did it to tweak Bent, from Australia. He sometimes refers to me as "a crazy old man". He may be right.

Paul T
Old 04-24-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

On political threads, I try to use this as my policy.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it."

And, it is easy to get sidetracked from the reason we come here, sailing.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I know the real purpose of the OT forums: It's a place to contain the "static", from those people who simply can't help themselves from engaging in these kinds of discussions, because moderators don't want to drive traffic away from the forums, or alienate some people.
I just want to comment on this for a moment so there is no misunderstanding:

As a moderator, it is our job to keep the peace. It is not our job to increase or decrease traffic. That is up to the ownership, and indirectly up to the members. As moderators, we have zero financial interest in Sailnet. Nothing. Notta. We get zilch - not even a red cent. We do this as a way to give back to the community we are all passionate about. As a plus, though, I do get to harass my fellow moderators which is worth millions to me.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
CD post these things once in a while just so folks will say thanks, makes him feel good after looking at himself in the mirror every morning.
Not entirely true, I post these things once in a while just so folks will say thanks, makes me feel good after KISSING myself in the mirror every morning.

Geez, if you are gonna get personal, at least tell the whole truth!! By the way, how's that Chicago Cutlery holding up, Chef?

HEHE!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Well I see all my esteemed friends are lining up on the other side of this

You guys make me laugh too because you display on this one topic the same attitudes and assumptions which can be prevalent in the OTH/REL/POL thread which you rail against. Its just that this time you think you cause is more just so its ok. Your intolerance of others in this instance who dare to have political opinions in your precious space will increase to topics which you don't want to talk about. In this case your intolerance is not even masked behind PC.

It isn't enough that these topics have been given there own special place, now the move afoot is to censor them out of the whole site.

It isn't enough that you can just ignore ad not go in these areas, you make broad assumptions and statements about spillover. So either you are going into these areas ( which clearly you are predisposed to upset you) or you make unfounded statements.

You are displaying the same intolerance you speak against.

You make assumptions and single out that SN only does the OTH/POL/REL thread for money. ( I got news for you the only reason they have any thread is for money). SN will ban any thread which will cause them to lose that ( Tartan for example). Doing things for money is not something new. We all do it. Some of you benefit monetarily from posting on this site by displaying your names and getting them known. No harm in that, but lets not castigate others for doing the same.

You want to call people names just like they do--- Lets call people who post there the sewer for instance. Now that's grown up and civil as you look down you nose at them as less thans.

You want to make unsubstantiated statements like there is spillover into the regular forums. Give me examples...specific ones. You are painting with a broad brush here. You paint everyone who posts in the other forum as lepers.

I see a lot of "assertions" but I see no proof to any spillover. Lots of conjecture and assumption.

So do you want to remove the topics next which are controversial such as anchors, sailing to Cuba, Active Captain, whose town is the sailing Capitol from these forums.
The Bounty thread was not in the POL/REL/?OTH forum but had many similar nasty personal posts

There already is a site where you can go where there is complete censorship-CF,

I know this next statement will not be popular, but just think about it

So if you think that the attitudes are out of control in the POL/OTH/REL forums point the finger in the correct direction. What is the main difference between there and other threads. Same posters many times in all threads. The difference is the way the rules are enforced by the MODS. By their own admission too. There is no need to get rid of the threads if you have these thoughts of spillover, just ask the MODS to be more consistent.
I really don't want to hear we don't have enough time. Get more MODS if that is the case.

I love the mods here. I appreciate what they do. I can extol them when they do well. But I will criticize them when they don't whether they are volunteers or not.

The MODS by allowing a double standard on the same site when it comes to civility have helped allow the attitudes in the OTH/POL/REL threads. I don't believe it spills over as I see no proof of that. You cant be inconsistent with your children or employees like this, so how do you think it works here.

I like SN and am passionate. I post a lot on here. I am not a marine professional so I have no benefits other than the friendships and knowledge I have either learned or helped with. I have opinions yes, strong ones sometimes. I can be a prickly poster if you treat me that way. I can be the opposite too if you treat me that way.

It is a sailing forum so you should have to post on the sailing part too ( most do BTW).

Just because it isn't something you want to do doesn't mean to get rid of it. Just don't go in. Don't ridicule the people who do. All are sailors...so you want to get rid of sailors...or just the ones who disagree with you?
knothead likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Not entirely true, I post these things once in a while just so folks will say thanks, makes me feel good after KISSING myself in the mirror every morning....

Brian
EEEWWWWWWW..

tdw, T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Closed Thread