Insurance and cruising... - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 04-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 832
Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

I've got mixed feelings on this.

A couple of years ago someone sailed a boat into a local harbor and anchored in the middle of the mooring field which started a game of bumper boats. The harbor master had him move. He came back later, and tied to a loading area on town dock and left the boat. The harbor master again had him move. Then he went out into the bay and dropped his anchor straight down before a storm, zero scope and rowed ashore before a gale. The boat of course didn't hold and slipped about 1/2 mile across the bay into some docks and destroyed them. He had no insurance, the boat had no salvage value, the owner was broke. Costs fell to the town, the owner of the dock, and those who do buy insurance. These costs including towing away and disposing of the guys boat that was hard aground with remains of the dock wrapped around it.

A few irresponsible individuals mess it up for everyone. I am sure there are stories on the other side of people with insurance that abuse that.

No easy answers.


That said, I've never been asked for proof of insurance as a transient, but have been consistently asked when operating out of a marina seasonally.
capecodda is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 Old 04-23-2013 Thread Starter
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Cruisingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 9,917
Thanks: 3
Thanked 124 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
I've got mixed feelings on this.

A couple of years ago someone sailed a boat into a local harbor and anchored in the middle of the mooring field which started a game of bumper boats. The harbor master had him move. He came back later, and tied to a loading area on town dock and left the boat. The harbor master again had him move. Then he went out into the bay and dropped his anchor straight down before a storm, zero scope and rowed ashore before a gale. The boat of course didn't hold and slipped about 1/2 mile across the bay into some docks and destroyed them. He had no insurance, the boat had no salvage value, the owner was broke. Costs fell to the town, the owner of the dock, and those who do buy insurance. These costs including towing away and disposing of the guys boat that was hard aground with remains of the dock wrapped around it.

A few irresponsible individuals mess it up for everyone. I am sure there are stories on the other side of people with insurance that abuse that.

No easy answers.


That said, I've never been asked for proof of insurance as a transient, but have been consistently asked when operating out of a marina seasonally.
My comment is that the marina should have had insurance, and gone after the person. Their insurance would cover them. And no amount of insurance can fix stupid.

As I said, I personally carry insurance. Always will where possible. But I do not begrudge those that choose not to. But that is kinda like me playing both sides of the coin, I guess???

Brian

Sailnet Moderator



1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cruisingdad is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 41 Old 04-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 832
Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My comment is that the marina should have had insurance, and gone after the person. Their insurance would cover them. And no amount of insurance can fix stupid.

As I said, I personally carry insurance. Always will where possible. But I do not begrudge those that choose not to. But that is kinda like me playing both sides of the coin, I guess???

Brian
Yep, I find myself sitting exactly in the same place, I can see both sides.
capecodda is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #24 of 41 Old 04-23-2013
Senior Member
 
night0wl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
My comment is that the marina should have had insurance, and gone after the person. Their insurance would cover them. And no amount of insurance can fix stupid.

As I said, I personally carry insurance. Always will where possible. But I do not begrudge those that choose not to. But that is kinda like me playing both sides of the coin, I guess???

Brian
Insurance rarely if ever covers the whole loss. There are always deductibles and negotiated settlements. Ultimately, we all pay in that game by either having substandard repaired boats or in ever higher premiums.

What should have happened is the neighboring sailors and community should have shown up on this guys boat and "strongly encouraged" him to move along. If he refused to, well...

I'm not advocating vigilante justice, but when you rely on governments, systems, procedures, and laws to solve what a community should address, then we all lose a bit of freedom.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 04-24-2013 at 09:52 AM.
night0wl is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 41 Old 04-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,590
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

By the time I lost my first boat in Fiji, it would have cost me far more in insurance than it cost to replace it, and they would have forced me to put up with crew I didnt want, eliminating my reason for cruising in the first place. No thanks!
MikeOReilly likes this.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Brent Swain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 41 Old 04-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 832
Thanks: 11
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Insurance rarely if ever covers the whole loss. There are always deductibles and negotiated settlements. Ultimately, we all pay in the game.

What should have happened is the neighboring sailors and community should have shown up on this guys boat and "strongly encouraged" him to move along. If he refused to, well...

I'm not advocating vigilante justice, but when you rely on governments, systems, procedures, and laws to solve what a community should address, then we all lose a bit of freedom.

Actually, the neighboring sailors did exactly that, but it didn't work, the owner of this vessel was not very bright.

In a perfect world, people are reasonably intelligent, take full responsibility for their actions and clean up any mess they make, insured or not.
capecodda is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #27 of 41 Old 04-24-2013
Senior Member
 
night0wl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,459
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Actually, the neighboring sailors did exactly that, but it didn't work, the owner of this vessel was not very bright.

In a perfect world, people are reasonably intelligent, take full responsibility for their actions and clean up any mess they make, insured or not.
Whats the phrase (attributed to Einstein)...

"There are two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the universe"

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
night0wl is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #28 of 41 Old 04-24-2013
Wish I never found SN!
 
SimonV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,062
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

I Have insurance for me, not for someone else. I hope the other boat has insurance it makes life easier, but if he does not I have mine. Up until yesterday I was covered for Australia and 200 miles off shore, now I have added New Caledonia and Vanuatu and the water between to my policy for an extra $152.37. Its nice to be covered.

Simon
Ericson 39B.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitsundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
SimonV is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #29 of 41 Old 04-24-2013 Thread Starter
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Cruisingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 9,917
Thanks: 3
Thanked 124 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
By the time I lost my first boat in Fiji, it would have cost me far more in insurance than it cost to replace it, and they would have forced me to put up with crew I didnt want, eliminating my reason for cruising in the first place. No thanks!
Don't want this to come out the wrong way Brent, but when you hit that reef, did you damage it? Did you have to pay a fine for damaging the reef? Did you have to pay a fine for any environmental problems, like fuel spilled? Did you have to pay to have the boat raised and hauled into a yard and disposed of properly?

Seems to me that the costs of that kind of mishap would be extraordinary. THe US Navy just got off easy with a $1.5M fine for hitting the reef in the pacific - and they disposed of their own vessel, tried to take immediate reactions to correct it, and eventually cut up and hauled it off themselves. I understand the magnitude of damage between a mine sweeper and a private yacht are quite a bit different, but there is still a lot of damage a private yacht can wield on a reef, and most of us do not have available the resources to take care of that ourselves.

And how would you like to be dealing with this without insurance: Mega-yacht Still Marooned off Key West | Terryorisms

That boat has reduced a multimillionaire to sleeping on a floating barge and years (and nearly a million later) it STILL is not off!! How would you like to tackle that one without insurance?

So, seems to me that your example is exactly a reason pay insurance and carry it. And the minuscule cost you might have incurred on premiums would dwarf the vast amount of money you might be facing for just an environmental disaster such as you mentioned. This doesn't even mention the costs incurred if you were to hit another vessel... especially with the steel sailboat you now sail that could cause considerable damage to (if not sink) a fiberglass or wooden boat.

Just an observation.

Brian

Sailnet Moderator



1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cruisingdad is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #30 of 41 Old 04-24-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new england
Posts: 2,334
Thanks: 54
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Thank you for this thread. After reading it upped my liability to $1m. Surprisingly was short money.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
outbound is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caribbean Cruising Insurance Snboard976 General Discussion (sailing related) 3 11-08-2009 06:37 AM
Cruising Insurance bidet Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 6 03-20-2004 12:17 AM
Cruising Medical Insurance sci_fi Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 1 01-11-2001 09:18 AM
Health Insurance While Cruising William Mahaffy Seamanship Articles 0 08-04-1999 08:00 PM
Health Insurance While Cruising William Mahaffy Cruising Articles 0 08-04-1999 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome