Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Insurance and cruising...

When we first started cruising, around 2000, some had insurance, some didn't. We checked in to many marinas, and it was never a problem, and they never asked. I remember the old adage, "How do you know when you are ready to go cruising? When you can sail off without insurance."

My, my, haven't things changed.

At the Harborage Marina, St Pete, not only do they demand insurance, but they require you to list them on it AND they maintain an up to date file in the office. They remind YOU when it starts to get close to renewal.

Marathon Marina... same way. I had to make a copy and show full coverage.

Now this is new: At Mantanzas Pass (Fort Myers Beach) Mooring Field, you have to fill out their paperwork, list your insurance, broker, number, etc. This is for a mooring field, not a marina, a floating ball in the water.

I cannot think of a single marina we have stayed at that did not require insurance, and/or a copy of it. We actually carry copies of our policy now to hand out at check-in. Some are quite specific in amounts they require you to carry or you are denied mooring there.

For those thinking about cruising, I suggest you take this into account. Things have changed, from my perspective. The days of live free and let live seem to be overshadowed by the bright lights of the court rooms and legal offices. Don't get me wrong: I always carried insurance and always will. I believe in it and feel it is right for us. But it seems the ability to choose to have it or not are gone.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Are these for long-term stays Brian, or does it include transient stays as well? Also, do you know how wide-spread this is? I think your examples are all Florida. What about the great beyond?

FYI, I have never encountered this insurance demand up here on the Great Lakes, but I avoid marinas as a rule, so I may have simply missed this trend.
Old 04-22-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

You can bet that if they're collecting this info...they'll intend to use it too.
Old 04-22-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

CD,

What kinds of minimums are you aware of?

Down
Old 04-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

My new boat is on the deck of a ship in the middle of the Pacific. In order to get the boat to Norfolk and have the final fitting out done had to get an insurance binder. It's staying on a slip in R.I. for a season. Again needed insurance. Think they are more worried about you having liability insurance at the Marinas but need for insurance becoming generic even if you have no loan on the boat ( seems all finance companies require it).
Old 04-22-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

My marina is the same way for for slip holders, at first I was a little put off about it BUT I got to see things at a different angle. There are some really irresponsible and ignorant people who buy boats that could cause great damage through their actions or neglect. I now look at this policy as a positive thing.
Melrna likes this.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 04-22-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Requirements for certificates of liability insur are getting stricter. I have seen a few require it for an overnight but most don't bother for short stays. Anything over a week almost always requires a cert.
Old 04-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

The worst for this is Australia where many marinas want $10 million in liability, most others want $5 million. Scarborough Marina in Brisbane accepted our Jackline policy with $500,000. They get a lot of foreign visitors. We stopped for one night at the marina in Airdrie Beach so we could touch base with an electronics tech. After thinking about it for an hour they said we could contact our insurance company to see about increasing our limit. I was going to point out the 11 hour time difference and the fact it was one night (at a high price), but thought I would leave well enough alone. Remarkably, in the morning when I took the key back to get my deposit they asked if I had talked to my insurer and I assured them that they were working on it. We used a marina in Darwin and the said they wanted $5 million but I could arrange a local supplement. When we got there they only wanted a copy of our insurance and did not mention the liability amount.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 04-22-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
You can bet that if they're collecting this info...they'll intend to use it too.
Well they only intend on using it if your boat causes or is involved in an insurable incident. I think it is only reasonable in a slip, as if you wind up with a propane leak and blow up your boat and burn down your 6 neighboring boats it is only fair that you at least have liability insurance. After all they should not have to pay if your boat causes damage to the docks and other boats.

They can only use it if you are in an insurable action, they get nothing from collecting it if you aren't.

Now on a mooring I see a lot less risk. Really just a mooring ball and hardware.
Old 04-22-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Who is driving this increasing demand for higher liability coverage? Is it the marinas, or is it the insurance companies?

This issue frustrates me b/c the real risk involved in boating activities is exceedingly low. I've looked at the North America accident data, and the rates of recorded injury, damage and death are very low. Despite this, insurance demands seem to be climbing at a very steep rate.

Why?

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 04-22-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.