Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Aft end Fuel Tank

(Thank you Restless Wind for the photo)(photo # 5)

I have 2 compartments on the aft end, swim platform that are about useless for anything. They actually have open drains in the bottom to allow water in and out. Other than live wells i see no use for them. I'm not sure what there intended use was for. Wet,wet lockers?

I'm thinking of converting both compartments and the space in between into 1 stainless or aluminum fuel tank. I think i would gain about 35-40 gallons. Then plumb a connection to the current tank or to the fuel filter direct. (Current tank is 40 gals)
I plan on covering it up with teak and a new swim ladder that will be mounted to starboard (off-center) to make room for the hydrovane.

Questions:

What do you think about placing that much weight out that far aft?
i realize this can contribute to hobby horsing.

Think this would be a safety risk having a fuel tank that exposed?
Safer than jerry cans on deck, right?

I'm fairly certain that i will do it, just wanted some input or maybe some additional ideas as well.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

Re: Aft end Fuel Tank

Whoops, no link for some reason. just google Beneteau Oceanis 400.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You mean those two compartments on either side of the swim ladder?

Forty gallons would be about the same as one or two crew standing aft on the platform, you could always put two crew back there to see if the weight affects handling.

But if it handles OK, and you can plumb it so it fills and drains OK. And you can have them sealed up, so water entry and corrosion won't be an issue...for real sure...

First try two guys standing back there.
Old 04-22-2013

Precisely, thanks for adding the photo. You can see the seams in the photo where the factory added that section in.
I deem it wasted space so why not turn it into a fuel tank?
Old 04-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Because most of the owners prefer a live bait well? Or use it as a smuggling stash?

Seriously, I suspect the cost of sealing, plumbing, pumping, ensuring it integrates properly, is just more than they would gain from offering the extra tankage in the odd corner. And adding oddly shaped "approved" fuel tanks in there.
Old 04-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I wonder how much 'destruction' and reconstruction you'd need to do to get a tank in that area? If it's going to involve some major f/g butchery getting it back to pretty might be a chore.... and how's the access for running the fuel lines through the rest of the boat?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

Oh wait! Those must be miniature kraken pens!

"Release the Kraken!"
Old 04-23-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Why not find some jerry cans that fit nice and tight in those lockers & store fuel in those? The Oceanis 400 has a 40gal primary tank -- that should last you two days or so of constant motoring, right? So you wouldn't need to refill every twelve hours. Using jerries would save money on the conversion & allow you to change your mind if you (or the next owners) think of another use for those lockers.

Criminy! Our primary tank is 7gal. Worst case scenario -- we hoist those sail thingies.
Old 04-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I wonder how much 'destruction' and reconstruction you'd need to do to get a tank in that area? If it's going to involve some major f/g butchery getting it back to pretty might be a chore.... and how's the access for running the fuel lines through the rest of the boat?
That would be my first concern, as well... Judging from the photo, I'd be surprised if one could gain as much as 40 gallons of additional capacity, to begin with... (tough to tell from just the pic, of course)

But what would concern me most, is the running of fuel supply and vent lines through the transom... No matter how well one might try to "seal" such passages, that sort of stuff can be a recipe for problems, most notably getting seawater inside the boat...

On more than one boat, I've had issues with water getting into "stern garages" around the supposed "seals" in the transom door, and then finding its way through whatever bulkhead separates the garage from the interior... Once on a delivery to the islands on a very high-end European boat, we kept getting a mysterious accumulation of water in a certain portion of the bilge, took us a couple of days to finally diagnose where it was coming from... When sailing day after day on a deep angle of heel, the bilge pump in the garage was not evacuating all the water leaking through the door, which eventually migrated forward through a wiring conduit outboard along the hull, which would normally be well above the waterline... Made a real mess, ruining a lot of the owner's clothes stowed in the aft stateroom, and a bunch of spares/tools tucked into various cubbyholes behind cabinetry... In general, drilling holes in a transom - especially as low as those would necessarily be - is not a very good idea, IMHO...

A better option might be to leave any such tankage isolated from the main fuel supply, and simply transfer to the main tank via the deck fill using a portable 12v pump, or similar...
Old 04-23-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of building the area up as a place to store Jerry Cans for water or Fuel. Even if you never need to dip into those sources of liquid, you might come across somebody who might need a little help getting to port. Easier and faster to hand over a jerry can than to siphon pump out fuel (or water)

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.