Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Informal, unscientific survey

You're local to me so will use local references. Was close to the Harbormaster in Duxbury. He was a delight. He knew who was trouble and who was not. Always helpful and very knowledgeable about anything to do with boats. He had a program of gradually escalating discussions, warnings then action . The harbor was a friendly place. From what I know he had more trouble with shell fish issues then boaters.
A prior Harbormaster in Plymouth was a hard butt. Seemed to have "his boys" and if you were not in that club life could be difficult. Fortunately, it seems he ran afoul of the powers that be. The new group is very professional. Perhaps not as warm as they could be but fair and very skilled.
Point is a bad harbormaster with poor interpersonal skills or judgment has a major impact on the tenure of the harbor. Folks who have had a bad experience will migrate elsewhere with loss of income to the town.
Old 04-23-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I don't want to answer because you can't knock on wood on a computer. But I like your description of your harbor master.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post

1. Never

2. None

3. Avoid It

Sounds like your harbormaster is a really nice guy, your police chief a real jerk
Same, Same!

Our Police Chief is a nice guy, too.

I know the HMs, in both towns where I keep boats on moorings, by their first names. Good men! TCB. No hassles. The CG is present too and they have an issue requiring "blue lights" from time to time but rarely. Those events are often related to crimes or emergencies. I was stopped one day by the Coasties in very agitated condition. They were going through the motions and displaying weapons! Yikes! After about 2 minutes of their "investigation" a very similar power boat came into view from the same direction I had come. A brief "buzz" among them, a quick, "you are O.K." as I was handing over life vests for their inspection and they took off after the other boat. A legitimate case of mistaken boat identity. Drugs!

I have put my own notices on the yacht club bb regarding dangerous wakes from members with large power boats being irresponsible. Once even felt it necessary to confront one jerk in a public forum at the yc. "Summer people."

A low profile for our "keepers" is by far the best way to go. There is a high degree of mutual respect among boaters Downeast. We do not need another layer of authority feeling the need to exercise it.

Down
Old 04-23-2013

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road

1) Ticketed once in over 25 years of boating, totally my fault, no hard feelings.

2) Not too many that I know of.

3) I like your HM's approach, as long as there aren't a lot of complaints or issues. In my neck of the woods, much more of the "enforcement" is really turned into a revenue stream. I have a few friends who are on different police forces and they will tell you that they will pull you over for anything in the hopes of finding something to write you up for. Once the word gets out that your harbor is essentially a speed trap there will be far less visitors, and more hard feelings by the locals.

Great question by the way.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 04-23-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Informal, unscientific survey

1 - never ticketed or stopped

2 - don't know anyone who said they were ticketed. My adult kids were once stopped on my dinghy for no registration, just given a warning.

3 - I would avoid a harbor if they are a PITA, but don't mind at all if they enforce the 5 mph limit in our harbor, which they often do, or if they pay attention to BUI or unsafe operation. In fact I prefer that enforcement.
Old 04-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

1/ Never in 30 or so off and on

2/ None, but I have seen some that should have

3/ Well the jet skiers (I used to be one) would hate it, sailors likely like it. I will say there has been a lot of complaining about boardings on the Hudson River. I think it has hurt use of the river. The local marine trade groups have been working hard to try to get the multiple organizations to communicate. Some folks were boarded and inspected 3 or 4 times a day by different organizations. Here on the Hudson we seem to have so much homeland security money floating into the local PDs that every one gets a new boat and they seem to all think they are supposed to board every boat on the river. Never has been much of an issue for sailors though, they seem to bother the power boaters more. I guess they figure they drink more, and have more girls in bikinis. Seems to be slowing down quite a bit, perhaps all the post 911 funding has run out.

By the way the above is not a political commentary just the result of throwing money out there without a plan thinking it will increase security.
Old 04-23-2013

delite is on a distinguished road

I have never been ticketed in 20 years although they have pulled along side for a chat. I dont know of anyone who has been ticketed but have seen the CG and police at many boat ramps in the summer handing out tickets to stink pot weekend warriors with no life jackets or drunk before hitting the water.
Anyone running around handing out tickets for stupid things is going to be bad for tourism and boating. If its for real safety issues I dont have a problem but ticketing a guy simply to generate revenues is a real bad idea. Sounds like your police chief is the gung-ho type looking to create a problem where one doesnt exist. The chief is the real problem by the sounds of it and probably is not a boater
Old 04-23-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Looks like something motivated by childish , power tripping envy, rather than seeking a result. Envy is an admission that they have made a screwup of their lives, not the kind of people who should be making policy. It involves decreeing a certain percentage of people guilty, regardless of their inocence. And they expect us to "Respect the law?"
Respect is something to be earned , not childishly demanded.
Old 04-24-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Never. My brother was once given a ticket by USCG while out working on his clamboat. The ticket, written by an apparent 15 year-old, was for a dirty air breather element (Royal 8, updraft). It was not dirty. That said, it's the only time I've ever heard of a silly move by CG for whom I have great respect.
Old 04-24-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

1/ Have you ever been cited (ticketed) while boating? How many times in how many years on the water?
Never. But I did get yelled at by the Harbor Patrol once (I think he was just having a bad day).

2/ How many boaters do you know who have been cited (ticketed) by a harbormaster or harbor police?
None. But a friend was ticketed by the USCG once back in the old "zero tolerance" days, when they were boarding everyone and handing out all sorts of chickenshit tickets.

3/ What's your reaction when you hear about a harbor where the rules of the road are strictly enforced?
Depends on how strictly. Common sense goes a long way. However, if someone is operating a boat in an unsafe manner, I have no problem with the local marine constabulary cracking down on them.
Is this the kind of place you want to visit because you know you'll be safe? or the kind of place you'll avoid for fear of a guy with a glock and a flak jacket driving 250 HP of flashing blue lights?
What really makes me nervous are the USGS RIBs driven by 20-somethings going way too fast (and for no apparent reason) around LA/Long Beach Harbor and with machine guns manned by even younger "kids". Although, that sort of behavior seems to be less common lately.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt