Small Boat Jack Lines and Safety Tethers - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RichH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-24-2013 Thread Starter
Sparrow Girl

Small Boat Jack Lines and Safety Tethers

Hi all,

I plan on cruising the San Juan's with my local sailing club this summer, where I would be sailing single-handed on my Sparrow 16. (for info on the Sparrow, check out Sailboatdata.com) In preparation for this I have been looking into safety tether systems for my boat.

My cockpit is only about 6' to 7' long and the beam of my boat is 6.5'. As such I realized that the standard 2 m/6' tether could not work for me as if I were to go over the side, I'd be suspended next to the side of the hull not able to get back on board. (The Sparrow has a pretty high freeboard compared to many boats her size.)

The solution I've come up with so far is to use a short jackline on the floor of the cockpit and a short (~1m) safety tether attached to the jackline. With this I would have full freedom to move fore and aft in my cockpit without having to have a longer tether that could allow me to dangle over the side of the boat.

I have a couple questions:
1) Does this solution sound reasonable for a small cruising sailboat like mine?
2a) If your answer to question 1 is negative, what would you recommend?
2b) If your answer to question 2 is positive, where can find a shorter (1m) long tether to purchase? (Or,is this something I could have my sailmaker make for me?)

Thanks!

Christine
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-24-2013

Re: Small Boat Jack Lines and Safety Tethers

VERY reasonable.
Your tether should the short enough to keep you on board.
You may also want a tether that has two possible terminal connections on the same tether ... one for 'long' and the other for 'short'.

Any sailmaker or anyone with an 'industrial' sewing machine with strong polyester or Tenara (PTFE) thread can do this for you.

Also to consider ... a tether end connection that is EASILY releasable under load, as small boats do sometimes become 'upside down' and when they do you MUST be able to open that connection easily ... and do so faster than how long you can hold your breath. (A worst case scenario, of course). ;-)
msmith10 likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2013
Barquito

Re: Small Boat Jack Lines and Safety Tethers

With the necessity of having a really short tether, I wonder if you could get away with just having fixed attachment points in the cockpit. Cool looking boat, btw. Post pictures when after your trip!

Bristol 27
Cirque

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.