Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Weather helm and Weight

Spent about 6 hours on a single beat at the weekend, 3 of us sailing a Beneteau 36.7.

One of things we noticed was the massive effect of where the non helmsmen sat on weather helm. With both crew forward of the mast it was possible to completely neutralize the helm, with both in the cockpit (and a full tank of fuel below our feet) the boat was a trying to head up hard in the gusts.

Just thought I'd share it, as I've always focused on sail trim first up to now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Weather helm and Weight

Chubby friends?
Old 04-24-2013
Windseeker

Boat half the weight of my last boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

crew wt and placement can be a BIG factor in weather helm. On my 28' boat, I am moving people about frequently. Down wind especially, not so much for weather helm, but to get the ass out of the water so we are faster downwind! We can gain upwards of 1/4 knot sometimes a half this way.

Marty
Old 04-24-2013
Windseeker

The difference for us was about a quarter turn on the helm - very dramatic.

Every time I've read about it its seemed the main factors to address are traveller, twist, backstay etc but this weight movement has been the biggest single factor I've noticed.

Old 04-24-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

For especially sails made of 'dacron' and NOT rolled-up on 'furlers' .......

The simple answer (for when closehauled), usually ignored by almost all cruisers, is
1. change the mainsail halyard (and/or cunningham) tension ... which repositions the where the 'position of maximum draft' occurs in the mainsail - to rebalance the helm pressure. The more 'fore' where the max. draft occurs, the lesser amount of so-called 'weather helm' (if the boat was set up 'correctly' in the first place).
2. be sure that the headstay is not 'sagging off to leeward' which promotes a boat to 'skid to leeward'.

Several easy steps to determine exactly what is going on when you 'develop' so-called weather helm when attempting to sail 'close hauled':

FIRST is to look at the stern wake ... see if the rudder and keel turbulence wake is coming almost STRAIGHT off the stern; if not, then youre probably skidding and you need to tighten the forestay (via backstay tension).

SECOND, If the stern wake is seemingy 'straight', then you probably have 'weather helm' and you then need to change (usually) to more halyard/cunningham tension until that so-called weather helm is lessened or eliminated. (If you have a 'rudder position indicator' if the 'gage' is showing more than about 4-5° of rudder angle to hold a straight course when 'beating' ... thats 'weather helm', usually easily corrected by (more) mainsail halyard tension). You simply cant do this with sails on 'furlers'.
BTW#2 if youre dragging your rudder almost sideways to correct for 'weather helm', that will result in a slower boat at greater heel angle ... and that greater amount of heeling will also contribute to 'weather helm' in some (non-symmetric hull shape) boats.

Rx: With a boat that was previously set up with 'proper' rigging tension, when you develop 'weather helm', the FIRST thing to do is look at the stern turbulence wake to determine if: 1. boat skidding off to leeward (too loose forestay/backstay); or if, ....
2. actual weather helm (too loose main halyard/cunningham tension).
.... and every damn day requires different tensions depending on wind speed and wave height.

Set-ups:
• Mainsail luff (halyard) tension - How to properly RAISE a woven dacron mainsail - SailboatOwners.com
• Forestay (backstay) tension: http://www.ftp.tognews.com/GoogleFil...f%20Hollow.pdf

Last edited by RichH; 04-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2013
Windseeker

See - adjusting halyards, cunningham, traveller position, outhaul, adding twist in high winds, flattening sails in more normal winds, tightening the backstay (I'll admit to not playing with the forestay much, rig tuning is something I plan on working on learning this year) etc are my normal go to controls. What I'm saying is that, for my slightly fat, 12k lb, 36ft fin keel boat the biggest single effect on weather helm so far, other than reefing, has been moving people around on the boat.

Thank you Gary Jobson for listing this as one of the primary WH controls.

Interesting point on stern wake RichH - in the video here we're sailing unbalanced as it was shot just before realizing the influence - can you tell if we're skidding?

Old 04-24-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

http://www.beneteaufirst367.org/clas...ClassRules.pdf
See rule 3.4 B

The 36.7 is a weight sensative boat. Class crew weight is 1,550 lbs. If there wasn't a significant advantage to heavier sailors, then they wouldn't have that rule. Stack 9 people on the rail with one driver (10 total) and it's a huge difference. That's 1500 lbs of righting moment. And that's why you see people hiking when racing. It makes a big difference.

Theonecalledtom, it's really hard to tell if you're going sideways b/c there is nothing to reference the boat against. The waves are fluid, your wake, etc. But judging by heel angle, it doesn't look like you would be going sideways. The 36.7 (like most boats) really suck when you put the rail in the water. Flat is fast.
Old 04-24-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

Don't know about Bendy-Toes, but for some boats weather helm can be greatly reduced (and pointing much improved) by raking the mast farther aft. I know this seems counter-intuitive (shouldn't more rake move the center of effort aft - thus causing even more weather helm?), but it works. And again, I cannot testify about any boat but mine.
Old 04-24-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Interesting point on stern wake RichH - in the video here we're sailing unbalanced as it was shot just before realizing the influence - can you tell if we're skidding?
Your stern wake somewhat shows that youre skidding but that is best viewed from the cockpit looking back.
The large slack sag in your forestay from what I can see in your video is definitely excessive ... probably the prime reason for the skid and the 'heavy helm'. The very first frame in the video shows absolutely NO jib luff except the very bottom of the tack section ... all the rest has greatly sagged behind the view of the mast.
What your probably feeling as weather helm is the skid's side pressure on the rudder.
At the end of the video the leech of the jib seem VERY tight (probably hooked up to weather) which kind of also suggests and supports the too loose headstay.

I'll try to find some geometric sketch / sail plan of the 36.7 and calc for you what the backstay tension should be to arrive at a 12-15% forestay tension. Is that one or twin backstays?

Nice boat !!!! good video. ;-)

Last edited by RichH; 10-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.