centerboard day sailer: raising/lowering sails in stronger winds - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
I appreciate all of this. One question still remains though - if I am attempting to launch with the wind fully astern - having the sheets free doesn't help me in this situation as the boom is blown all the way out until it's against the shroud and the main fills with air?

I agree that sailing without motor is teaching me a lot. However, I want to sail on the Sound in CT and the 2 launch points that are accessible to me have long channels (4 miles in one case) to get to sailing grounds. I have been told authorities "frown heavily" on tacking in the channel. 4 miles is a long way to paddle if the wind is not right or dies completely.

In order to keep my wife interested, I need to make things as comfortable as possible. Tossing her in the drink a few times with capsizes or making her paddle for miles isn't going to help my cause It would seem that the motor can make some tricky things a little less tricky, and dead wind times a little easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: centerboard day sailer: raising/lowering sails in stronger winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
One question still remains though - if I am attempting to launch with the wind fully astern - having the sheets free doesn't help me in this situation as the boom is blown all the way out until it's against the shroud and the main fills with air?
You need to turn your boat around, so that it is facing the wind.
Keep it on a rope loop so that it does not drift away from the pier. Then, when all the sails are up and you all are ready, let go the rope end, hold the boom with one hand so that the main catches wind and turns the boat around, hold the tiller in the other hand, sheet in, and you are sailing.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
I agree that sailing without motor is teaching me a lot. However, I want to sail on the Sound in CT and the 2 launch points that are accessible to me have long channels (4 miles in one case) to get to sailing grounds. I have been told authorities "frown heavily" on tacking in the channel. 4 miles is a long way to paddle if the wind is not right or dies completely.

In order to keep my wife interested, I need to make things as comfortable as possible. Tossing her in the drink a few times with capsizes or making her paddle for miles isn't going to help my cause It would seem that the motor can make some tricky things a little less tricky, and dead wind times a little easier.
Yes, in that case a small motor is pretty much a must have.
Old 05-03-2013

[quote=krisscross:1025066]
Quote:
Yes, in that case a small motor is pretty much a must have.
Must be another married man to understand my plight

I have a buddy that busts my chops about motors. But the way I see it - I'm lucky that my wife wants to sail - and she is looking forward to all of our upcoming ASA training. She just doesn't want to be on the hairy edge. She'll never be the one wanting to dip a rail or hike out over a rail struggling to keep a daysailer upright. I can definitely live with that vs a wife that doesn't want to sail with me at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:

Must be another married man to understand my plight

I have a buddy that busts my chops about motors. But the way I see it - I'm lucky that my wife wants to sail - and she is looking forward to all of our upcoming ASA training. She just doesn't want to be on the hairy edge. She'll never be the one wanting to dip a rail or hike out over a rail struggling to keep a daysailer upright. I can definitely live with that vs a wife that doesn't want to sail with me at all.
No, dude... I was thinking about the need to paddle your boat for 4 miles...
When I was married, sailing was my chance to have some quality R&R alone...
Old 05-03-2013

FlyingJunior is on a distinguished road
centerboard day sailer: raising/lowering sails in stronger winds

I agree with kriskross - to clarify - rig with bow to wind, sheets loose. When you push off, sheet in (you should still be in irons) tight, then either back wind the jib or hold the boom out a bit, the boat will turn and then you're sailing. If you don't sheet in tight b4 this, a wild gybe is possible, which is no way to start your day.

4 miles? That's a long way even with a motor, even for a larger boat with an inboard. I might consider a different launch or body of water.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingJunior:1025132
4 miles? That's a long way even with a motor, even for a larger boat with an inboard. I might consider a different launch or body of water.
Welcome to Connecticut... 4 mikes is the extreme of the two places useful to me. One of the hardest things in CT is not only finding a public launch, but also finding a launch with parking available. Lame

On most wind directions, I should be able to sail a good portion of the channel - it's a dogleg so one of the legs should be sailable with wind.

My other option is motoring a much more direct path through shallow water. Plenty of water for a small motor, but not nearly enough for putting the centerboard down to sail. Yet another reason I got a motor to supplement sail.

Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
My other option is motoring a much more direct path through shallow water. Plenty of water for a small motor, but not nearly enough for putting the centerboard down to sail. Yet another reason I got a motor to supplement sail.
If you are going more or less downwind through shallow water you do not need to lower the CB. Pull it up all the way.
Old 05-03-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you are going more or less downwind through shallow water you do not need to lower the CB. Pull it up all the way.
True if he still has enough depth for the rudder.

Speaking of rudders. Learn to scull the boat with the rudder. It can be handy for getting that last few feet to the dock, or turning the boat out of irons, etc. When the wind totally died, I have sculled my Catalina 22 a half mile back to my mooring pin. You need the CB down to scull.