SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where would you go?

7K views 47 replies 38 participants last post by  wescarroll 
#1 ·
For all of those sailors stuck in port, daydreaming about their next adventure...

If you could cast off today, fully provisioned on YOUR CURRENT BOAT, and time wasn't a factor, Where would you go?

I'll start it up...

Being from the tropics, I would sail up to New York City. I've never been there, and have a sister who recently moved to NY for college. It seems like a funny sailing destination at first glance, but Manhattan is an island right?

See less See more
#4 ·
Current boat? With some modifications to add to cruising comfort and safety, I would have to say the coast of Maine/Nova Scotia looks pretty cool. Realistically though (with our current "noob" status), I'm going to be pretty happy to make it out to Put-In Bay in Lake Erie in the near future.

#19 ·
Hmm, no time constraints in my current boat.

Head north to Maine, then work my way slowly down the East Coast taking in the sights along the way, all the way down to Key West, then back north a bit and a jump over to the Bahamas.

It would take quite a while to do it right. Now where did I put that lottery ticket?

Reactions: TheWollard
#20 ·
I live near the south eastern shore of Lake Ontario, I would start there and head west. I'd stop when I sailed the entire shoreline of the five lakes and was able to explore/hike many of the more remote areas.

Brad

#22 ·
Marathon photos:

View from the Marathon City Marina Tiki Hut where I played music every Saturday night.

Boot Key Harbor in February is a popular stop-off for those headed to the Bahamas.

Here's how cruisers take the kids to school.

At Marathon, Happy Hour begins when you hear the top pop.

Captain Jack, who celebrated his 91st birthday in February, came to Marathon aboard a 26-foot schooner - that was 30 years ago. He lived aboard the boat for about 10 years, until someone said "Jack you need a bigger boat to live on." Jack purchased a 28-footer, and has been living aboard ever since. "Hell, it's big enough for me - the dog died 10 years ago. Jack picks and delivers flowers to all the ladies in the marina every day.

And every day ends with a beautiful sunset.

And that, my friends, is why there are so many cruisers that came to Marathon, intended to spend a couple weeks, and stayed for decades.

Gary :cool:

#25 ·
Norway... I've seen a fair bit of it by car, it would be an amazing place to explore on a boat...

From there, another season exploring the Baltic. Maybe try to make it to St. Petersburg, or up into the Saimaa Lake District of Finland... Definitely across Sweden via the Gota Canal on the way back out, that trip is really high on my list...

On the way back home, I'd want to stop in the Cape Verdes... I've recently read Don Street's GUIDE to the archipelago, sounds like a fascinating place...

We shall see, it's still gonna be awhile... (grin)

#26 ·
Norway, Finland & Sweden are bucket list items. I would LOVE to do that by boat, snowmobile & hike.

#27 ·
Have studied and cared for folks with a genetic spino cerebellar atrophy first seen in the Azores. Plan to sail down east coast, then coast of Brazil then back up into northern hemisphere to Azores to further care and research on this population during a curcuit of the north Atlantic gyre ( Brazil would be a detour). In a second trip hope to go to the northern Islands of Japan for the same reason. Third trip would be for kicks and giggles - want to go to the Maldives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.