Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.

Thanks! Already alot of great information!

To clarify two points, my boat has a spade rudder, not a transom mounted rudder, only the outboard is mounted there.

By amuse me, I mean, when I am daydreaming on my boat this summer, give me info like you are doing, because you never know, and to me, half the fun is the dreaming and planning part of the trip. Heck, like you said, crossing an ocean is hard, I may very well have more fun thinking about than actually doing it!

I also don't believe that most people that make the attempt, die. Otherwise, there just wouldn't be an boat in Tahiti, they're not made there, they had to get there somehow, and if half the people that tried died well....
Morild likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
He ditched the boat after sailing over 20,000 miles because he lost his mind and set it ablaze, not because of windward performance.
lol, I've got to watch this movie, I've got it in my car but on VHS!
Old 04-24-2013

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

That John Vigor book is really good, and could save anybody's life on any size boat. Making your boat (hopefully) un-sinkable and protect from de-masting, and determining if any boat has enough Bulkheads, strong joint for the deck to hull, and on and on. Sealing and closing areas into floating Boxes.
....Having plan A, B, C in case of hitting a Tsunami pile of submerged Junk or ?
..What about Standing headroom ?- small water maker, solar to run st1000 autopilot, life raft, satellite communications, satellite weather, entertainment ? I like your Title to thread.

Last edited by sidney777; 04-24-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
He ditched the boat after sailing over 20,000 miles because he lost his mind and set it ablaze, not because of windward performance.

Huh? Where'd'ja get that? Not from the book as I recall when I read it, he sold the boat in South America:

Dove and Robin Lee Graham - The Voyage of the Dove Round The World

At several times in the voyage he did want to quit (sounds sane to me for a teenager in love who later married the girl), and I do remember him commenting on how the 24 wouldn't go to windward in heavy weather while the 33 would, one of the several reasons he agreed to continue. Even so it wasn't quite a circumnavigation, since he ended it on the west coast rather than in Hawaii where he started.

But we're hijacking the thread. I think our questioner might do better on a long ocean passage with a bigger boat (and with much more tiller time beforehand). But progressively longer coastal passages on the Ranger 23 would a fine way of gaining that experience.

Last edited by nolatom; 04-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2013

NateCP16 is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert, and I haven't crossed an ocean by sail yet, so take this for what its worth.

You've got 3 large variables here, the design of the boat, the condition of the boat, and the experience of the skipper. The design has to be strong enough for the conditions, and it has to be conducive to the necessary equipment and storage needs. The condition of the boat is just as important. A boat designed for very rough conditions can fail horribly if the condition isn't maintained. Then the experience of the skipper in knowing how to outfit the boat, how to handle it in all conditions, and how to fix anything that breaks. Having a boat that was designed to handle the expected conditions, in very good condition with an experienced skipper increases the odds of a safe and successful voyage, but doesn't guarantee it. For a couple of examples of what can go wrong:

Boat not designed for offshore, in medium condition, somewhat experienced crew: EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Lessons Learned: Sailing to Hawaii...The First Attempt by Arnold Rowe

Boat designed for offshore, very experienced single-hander, but apparently the standing rigging was not in good condition (dismasted): Chile navy locates solo US sailor in South Pacific

Boat designed for coast cruising, in poor condition, inexperienced crew: What to do When Your Boat is De-masted - Navigate the Sea

It sounds like you don't have much experience, your current boat wasn't designed for offshore, and you're unsure of the condition and if it can be equipped properly. That's 3 pretty big strikes against success. However, that shouldn't stop you from daydreaming! I sit on my Com-Pac 23 and dream about crossing oceans too, but if I were seriously going to do it now, I would be looking for a different boat that was designed for offshore conditions and I would be looking for some offshore crewing experience on other (more experienced) people's boats first.
Old 04-25-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Nolatom, he did circumnavigate, he started in Long Beach California and ended in Long Beach California. For the record I doubt any 24' boat will preform well offshore into heavy weather but there are hundreds of them out there doing just that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barefootnavigator; 04-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but where do I get a hold of the Dove movie?
I read the book when I was a kid, and have re-read it later to great inspiration and I would really like to see the movie, but I haven't been able to find it online.
I'd like to see it. Reading about Robin Graham and "Dove" in my grandmother's National Georgraphic, along with the story about "Finnistere" cruising the Caribbean is what made me into a sailor.
sailordave and bljones like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-28-2013

So....my question remains, what is the best self steering system for long passages on a small boat?

I've been reading about windvanes, I'm not sure any would work on my small transom. I don't know how the new autopilots work, I should look into those next, but I was reading they use them single handed on the single handed transpac. I don't think I would be able to get enough power to one though.

That leaves jerry rigged systems like um..thinking...sheet to tiller?
Old 04-28-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Self steering is a topic that you could research. The point is not that most people in small boats die, but that most who daydream about it stop there.
On a practical basis the costs of the safety gear required including life raft mount up and can exceed the cost of the boat. Sure you may not need a liferaft, until you may.
Again on a practical you don't down sails to sleep, one because the motion would be uncomfortable, and two because the loss of distance in what would be a slow boat anyway means that you have to carry much more water etc which is heavy and takes up space.
I don't recall the details of sheet to tiller steering, but doubt that it would be very effective for constant use. An autopilot is heavy on power and would require probably two batteries and a quite large solar panel. More weight and space. They are also noisy and prone to breakage so many take two. The best is a windvane but they are not cheap and need to be tailored to the boat.
While most have sympathy for day dreaming and will help with specifics, some might be a bit sceptical about a "tell me all I need to know" approach versus reading the books available and searching out the threads on specific topics.