Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Well, I didn't know they took so low power. I tell you what, I will practice trimming the sails so the boat stays on course as good as possible without self steering, then I will get a solar panel, I need one anyways, and third I will get an autopilot, which I WANT anyways.

Luckily my Ranger had a Raymarine st1000 previously that the owner said broke, but was in the original craigslist ad as a negotiable item, so it already has the mount on the tiller, and above the starboard lazarette.

By wind instrumentation, can my windvane on the top of my mast be connected?

Thanks as always.
I just installed a ST2000 and it's exceeded my expectations. If you have any questions about it (e.g. wind vane), you can download the manual from Raymarine and read it, it's very well written and informative. I recommend reading it a few times so you understand what you are getting yourself into as far as the installation (even though you already have most of the installation done, it's good to know how it all works) and operation goes.

Ours consumes very little power, which is contrary to what I had heard as well. The key, as others have said, is to have the sails balanced well, otherwise it may not track as well and will drain more power. The manual recommends reefing earlier than you normally would and I can also say that helps a lot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If your masthead windwane is electronic and reports to an instrument below then that could be connected to the ST2000. If it is just a Davis Windex (something that you look up to) then it can't be. Electronic wind instruments tend to be expensive for reasons that I don't understand and would be uncommon on a 23 footer.

If you do buy a Raymarine autopilot then I'd recommend the ST2000 over the ST1000. It isn't much more expensive and the mechanicals are more robust and it can move the tiller faster than the ST1000. It is a very nice tool for single handing, but balancing the sails and lashing the tiller should also work pretty well.
Old 04-29-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

IIRC Raymarine used to make a pushpit mounted windvane specifically for powering the autopilot. I saw it referenced in their manual, but can't find one for sale anywhere...
Old 04-30-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I should add that I am absolutely opposed to single-handed ocean sailing - it is a violation of of International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.

I enjoy single-handed coastal sailing.
I trust that your enjoyment of single handed coastal sailing involves the daily return to a safe anchorage?

Because it would be foolhardy to sleep while single-handing coastally and it would be almost equally foolhardy single-handing coastally after being sleep-deprived from not having returned to a safe anchorage for any extended period.

Sailing at sea has shown me how little traffic is out there. In three weeks at sea one is lucky to see one other vessel. I suppose that vessel could kill you if you don't see it but the odds of dying out there are waaaay lower than normal life ashore.

There is far more shipping in coastal areas than there is in open ocean and those ships out there follow well-beaten paths that are easy to stay away from.

Still, if you're opposed to single handing then you're opposed to it.

And interestingly enough, ALL collisions at sea are in violation of the COLREGS but they happen anyway.
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Andre

One is enough; Kai Granholm was run over while sleeping.

Coastal I am either on a mooring ball, at anchor or at a dock. BBQ a steak, glass of wine, read a bit, relax.

BTW - 10,000 miles bluewater. In the 4 passages, I saw vessels on every occasion. The heaviest traffic was on delivery from Newport RI to St Barths. At one point we could see 7 other vessels.

Last summer we sailed through the big-eye tuna fleet (Maui to Vancouver) and some tsunami debris.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-01-2013

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

Jackdale, how many hours would you consider a full day of solo sailing? On okanagan lake 5 hours of avoiding jet ski's, water skiers, watching the wind, the weather and I am done. I can drive the car for ten hours and feel fresh. I take keeping my crew and boat safe very seriously.
Old 05-01-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhermit View Post
Jackdale, how many hours would you consider a full day of solo sailing? On okanagan lake 5 hours of avoiding jet ski's, water skiers, watching the wind, the weather and I am done. I can drive the car for ten hours and feel fresh. I take keeping my crew and boat safe very seriously.
I have sailed around Penticton (teaching courses) - not too bad.

The Gulf Islands are more relaxing. I am not in a hurry to get anywhere. The longest was Montague to Point Roberts.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-01-2013

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

I find the wind and heat of the okanagan makes keeping hydrated very important. Beer or wine after anchored and a swim.
Old 05-01-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
FYI the boat in the movie is a Ranger23. I spoke with Robin about his trip and I think he may advise you against it. The lamest trip I have heard about is a guy sailing his 14' wwp to Hawaii.
As an armchair fan of big passages in small boats I'd like to add my .02.

The wwp was a 19 not a 14 small but big difference. He sailed it there then shipped it back. He sailed to Hawaii recently on a J30 I think, he would not repeat the wwp experience.

Just because you own your current boat that is kinda/ sorta /might be capable does not mean its a good start for such a trip. People who sail long voyages in small ships usually don't do it with the boat off the shelf or 30 year old rigging they bought it with. The Catalina 27 that circumnavigated had lots of structural upgrades. By the time your Ranger was ready you would have to pour a lot of money into it, that you'd be better off starting with a different boat with a little more capacity.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

Sailing at sea has shown me how little traffic is out there. In three weeks at sea one is lucky to see one other vessel. I suppose that vessel could kill you if you don't see it but the odds of dying out there are waaaay lower than normal life ashore.

There is far more shipping in coastal areas than there is in open ocean and those ships out there follow well-beaten paths that are easy to stay away from.
Gee, you have been in different places than we have. At times I have been incredibly impressed by how many ships there are and you can't really avoid them if you are going in more or less the same direction as you are. Some bust spots that occur to me are along the west coast of South America, north shore of the Dominican Republic and passing south of Madagascar. In all cases we saw 2-3 ships at least during the night and this does not include fishing vessels, just freighters.

Not fundamentally opposed to singlehanding but it is important to realize that it is much more dangerous than sailing even with two people. In the last 30,000 miles we have known of two boats being lost, both were singlehanders.