Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Port Dover, Ontario
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3
need help - squeaky sheave!!
Good day, SN'ers!
I need some of the expert help I know only you can provide.
I've got a squeaky sheave on the main halyard of our C&C35-1.
I took the sheave box out last week, to try and figure out what might be the cause.
Here are my observations:
- 1. the sheave box itself is damaged, bent
- 2. the sheave itself is in good shape
- 3. the bronze/brass bushing is slightly wider than the width of the sheave, possibly causing friction betwen the bushing and the sheave box
- 4. there was no wear on the sides of the sheave, indicating no contact between the side of the sheave and the sheave box
- 5. the OD of the axle pin (.385) is quite a bit smaller than the ID of the axle bushing (.410)
What do you folks believe the most likely cause of ghastly squealing when this halyard is under load??