SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing in Chennai, India? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/98829-sailing-chennai-india.html)

Joe_L 04-24-2013 09:07 PM

Sailing in Chennai, India?

I will be in Chennai for a dew days in May and would like to go sailing (day sail) on May 10th or 11th.
If anyone is there on that date and would like to take a novice skipper out for the day, I would be more than grateful. While I have some experience sailing on lakes, my goals are:
- get an experience of sailing on the sea in a 30 - 40 feet keelboat
- discover the sailing in India
- meet sailors halfway across the globe

jimgo 04-24-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Sailing in Chennai, India?

Have you been to India before?

shanedennis 04-25-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1021111)
Have you been to India before?

Great question! Chennai is a little more, ummm... organized than, say, Delhi or Mumbai, but I don't remember seeing any modern sailboats there. A zillion traditional fishing boats. Is there a yacht club or marina there?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

jimgo 04-25-2013 09:57 PM

I would suggest looking closely with Google Maps at the coastline there. In a quick perusal, there aren't a lot of inlets/ports, and those that do exist don't seem to have any sailboats.

jimgo 04-25-2013 10:02 PM

If the OP hasn't been to India before, things are also done differently than they are in the states. Not necessarily worse, but different. I love being on the water, and I would love to go sailing in the North Sea, or the Med, the South Pacific, and several other places. Now, mind you, I have never been to Chennai and it may be perfectly fine, but I have a strong suspicion that the waters around Chennai are like those in Shanghai; not really something you'd want to ingest.

trantor12020 04-25-2013 10:17 PM

You dropping by Singapore after Chennai? Its definitely very well organised compare to Chennai.
If your timing is right, we can go sailing on my boat.

shanedennis 04-25-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1021539)
I have a strong suspicion that the waters around Chennai are like those in Shanghai; not really something you'd want to ingest.

Can be hard to find good water in India. Chennai feels relatively clean but only by the extraordinary low standards of India. All waterways I saw in India appeared heavily polluted.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

rgscpat 04-25-2013 11:52 PM

Royal Madras Yacht Club... Royal Madras Yacht Club

Tamil Nadu Sailing Association... Tamil Nadu Sailing Association

Mohit Oberoi... Have boat, will ride - Times Of India

Article mentions area's first charter boat, a motor yacht. Also suggests area is in need of developing a yacht marina separate from commercial port.

Joe_L 04-27-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trantor12020 (Post 1021545)
You dropping by Singapore after Chennai? Its definitely very well organised compare to Chennai.
If your timing is right, we can go sailing on my boat.

Thank you for the offer. That would have been fantastic. Unfortunately I will not be going by Singapore.

Joe_L 04-27-2013 03:29 AM

Thank you for all the info. I have contacted the TNSA and they seem to be most helpful.