Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Tying stern-to to shore

There are many anchorages in my area where tying off to shore is beneficial. So far I have avoided doing this.
This summer I plan on heading to an area where space is limited and many anchorages recommend tying stern-to.
Any hints on how to do it so I don't look like a complete moron?
What length line(s) would you recommend to carry for this?
Thanks.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Tying stern-to to shore

We do it quite a bit up in Desolation Sound B.C. I carry 300' of line on a garden hose reel mounted on our RADAR pole. We swing our nose in towards shore to scope out our intended tie off point and get depth readings then head back out to our anchor point. We lower our anchor and set it while backing towards our tie off point then after the anchor sets, we let out some more rode so the stern is as close as we can get to the shore line. I hop out into the dink and row ashore with the end of the line while the admiral make sure the stern line feeds out and she leaves the boat idling in reverse to keep the stern close to shore. Take a wrap around the tree then bring the bitter end back to the boat and tie if off. Adjust stern line and anchor rode to get the boat sitting where we want it. If your boat has much prop walk, you'll need to aim the stern a little off to the upside of your shore tie off point, as the boat will start to creep while you're rowing ashore to tie it off.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Very common practice around here... 300-400 feet seems the practical minimum so that you can run the line to shore and back to the boat so you can retrieve it more easily when you leave.

Some ideas:

Stern tying
flyingwelshman and jackdale like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-25-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Flying- looking like a complete moron is required your first few times :-)) Gives the rest of us something to watch. The only thing I would add to Ray's excellent explanation would be to pull enough line around the tree to get back to the boat, trying to row and pulling the line can be difficult.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The biggest mistake first timers make when doing this is to secure the shore line in some way - tying it off or taking several wraps around a tree or ring (we have rings mounted in the rocks in some of the more popular anchorages.)

You don't want to have to row ashore again to cast off so just take it around the anchor point and back to the boat - that way you can simply cast off & retrieve the line from the boat.
flyingwelshman likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-25-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Search "mediterranean mooring" in your search engine.
Old 04-25-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

The only thing I would add to Ray (erps) and Ron's (Faster) excellent posts is, after you get anchored, use a lead line to measure the depth under the rudder and account for any falling tide. Otherwise

flyingwelshman likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-25-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Thanks all for your excellent responses: just the stuff I was looking for!

I'll still end up looking like a moron, but that will be more a result of my choice in headgear than my nautical skills.

Jack: not much tide in the North Channel - the occassional seiche in Georgian Bay though.

Thanks again

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 04-25-2013

delite is on a distinguished road

Some great advice above. Although it wont apply to lakes you also need to watch your stern line as the tide goes out. Failure to readjust will pull you closer to shore. Note the line running to shore in Jack's picture and the slack (straight down) anchor line on the white boat on the left. If your stern line is to tight you get pulled back to the shore and end up looking like the boat on the right.
In Jack's picture it looks to me like the red boat is the one tied off and the white one dropped its hook as a safety when they rafted. I think I would have tied off the larger boat.
Old 04-28-2013
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
There are many anchorages in my area where tying off to shore is beneficial. So far I have avoided doing this.
This summer I plan on heading to an area where space is limited and many anchorages recommend tying stern-to.
Any hints on how to do it so I don't look like a complete moron?
What length line(s) would you recommend to carry for this?
Thanks.
My years of boating along the British Columbia coast were marvellous training for our cruise through Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. By the time we left, we were well-practiced with stern ties. The difference south is that the tying is sometimes done in winds gusting from 0 to 90 knots, while veering or backing through 90º or more. Practice locally before you go.

In Sequitur we had three stern lines, two of them 100 metre poly and one 80 metre nylon webbing. In the bow we had two poly lines of 80 metres each. We never used all five at once, two being the most common and on a few occasions, as in this photo in Caleta Brecknock, four lines were used. This was mainly to tuck close-in, seeking a bit of protection from the williwaws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skûtsje

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.