I Need Ideas - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 04-25-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,495
Thanks: 22
Thanked 82 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Thanks. I think an arch might be the way to go, but I'm not sure where. I obviously has to be behind the boom, but I'm thinking that it is going to have to be behind the backstay too. Or just forward of it following the same angle. I suppose it will have to be high enough to be able to pass under it comfortably. Or maybe low enough to be able to put the traveler on top with the solar panels straddling the backstay aft of the traveler. ????
I would pass the backstay through the arch (free floating through an opening that is big enough to avoid any chafe) and mount the traveler on the lead edge of it. If you place the arch too far aft you will have a hard time supporting /connecting with the boat.
Nor'sea 27 is my dream boat. I just don't have the coin for it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 04-25-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 14
sidney777 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Just some ideas. Two separate backstays for installation of wind,solar, flexible solar panels over hatches, rigid solar panels as bimini and base for radar, wind gen. (all with storm conditions in mind). Adjustable, reef-able solar wings on side(s) of boat or wherever you locate.
....Contact M.I.T or other universities and research groups, including solar aircraft experiments. It might be a fun project for them if you can get access to them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 04-25-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney777 View Post
Just some ideas. Two separate backstays for installation of wind,solar, flexible solar panels over hatches, rigid solar panels as bimini and base for radar, wind gen. (all with storm conditions in mind). Adjustable, reef-able solar wings on side(s) of boat or wherever you locate.
....Contact M.I.T or other universities and research groups, including solar aircraft experiments. It might be a fun project for them if you can get access to them.
Interesting ideas. I don't think I could get a bimini to work under the low boom, but I like the idea of the flexible panels. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross
I would pass the backstay through the arch (free floating through an opening that is big enough to avoid any chafe) and mount the traveler on the lead edge of it. If you place the arch too far aft you will have a hard time supporting /connecting with the boat.
Nor'sea 27 is my dream boat. I just don't have the coin for it.
I agree, mounting everything securely is the biggest concern. That's why I'm thinking that I might want to design everything together. Radar mast, arch, traveler, wind vane panel supports etc. Maybe even that stern rail that I've always wanted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 04-25-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,620
Thanks: 0
Thanked 125 Times in 112 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: I Need Ideas

What's your objection to the radar on the mast? It's a good place for it, and would simplify things considerably...

Add a stern rail, and a solid rail replacing the lifelines surrounding the cockpit... Mount the solar panels on those rails, able to articulate with the changing angle of the sun, and stowed vertically for sailing/heavier weather...

Or, make them portable, able to be stowed below when not in use... That's the setup I use, mine simply mount on articulating poles that sit in a pair of fishing rod holders on my stern rail... Really nice to be able to stow them when not in use...

Then, you'd only need a single pole for a wind generator... Or, you could consider a wind gen suspended in the rig, although that only works at anchor, of course...






Putting a stern arch on such a pretty boat would be criminal, in my opinion... (grin) And all that crap on the back is only gonna interfere with your windvane, anyway...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 04-25-2013
krisscross's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 1,495
Thanks: 22
Thanked 82 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 2
krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I agree, mounting everything securely is the biggest concern. That's why I'm thinking that I might want to design everything together. Radar mast, arch, traveler, wind vane panel supports etc. Maybe even that stern rail that I've always wanted.
That makes sense. I would make sure you can have a safe way of working with all that gear in bad weather - a stern rail would help for sure.
The radar mast could provide additional stability and rigidity to the arch (third leg, so to speak. I might also incorporate stubs leading aft to allow for a potential windvane installation later.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 04-25-2013
Captainmeme's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 755
Thanks: 4
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

A slight adjustment to the course of the thread if I may.

To Jon Eisberg: What size are those panels and do they provide all the power you need?
I like the idea of pointing the panels as required and that they can be stowed below when not needed.
knothead likes this.
__________________
No such thing as a free cat, and that goes for boats as well.
Nor'sea 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 04-25-2013
downeast450's Avatar
Tundra Down
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seal Harbor, Maine
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 7
downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
What's your objection to the radar on the mast? It's a good place for it, and would simplify things considerably...

Add a stern rail, and a solid rail replacing the lifelines surrounding the cockpit... Mount the solar panels on those rails, able to articulate with the changing angle of the sun, and stowed vertically for sailing/heavier weather...

Or, make them portable, able to be stowed below when not in use... That's the setup I use, mine simply mount on articulating poles that sit in a pair of fishing rod holders on my stern rail... Really nice to be able to stow them when not in use...

Then, you'd only need a single pole for a wind generator... Or, you could consider a wind gen suspended in the rig, although that only works at anchor, of course...




Jon,

I like your solar panel solution, Are there any details you would share?

Down
__________________
Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 04-25-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
What's your objection to the radar on the mast? It's a good place for it, and would simplify things considerably...

Add a stern rail, and a solid rail replacing the lifelines surrounding the cockpit... Mount the solar panels on those rails, able to articulate with the changing angle of the sun, and stowed vertically for sailing/heavier weather...

Or, make them portable, able to be stowed below when not in use... That's the setup I use, mine simply mount on articulating poles that sit in a pair of fishing rod holders on my stern rail... Really nice to be able to stow them when not in use...

Then, you'd only need a single pole for a wind generator... Or, you could consider a wind gen suspended in the rig, although that only works at anchor, of course...


Putting a stern arch on such a pretty boat would be criminal, in my opinion... (grin) And all that crap on the back is only gonna interfere with your windvane, anyway...
I can't disagree about the criminal thing. That's why I'm really intent on thinking this out thoroughly before I make any big decisions.

The main problem with the radar on the spar is that it's set up to tabernacle and trailer. I probably won't be doing that much though so it is a possibility. It is sounding like a lot of stuff on the back of that little boat.
I was just thinking that if I could come up with something that incorporates everything in one neat, (ie, not too ugly), set-up, it might be the way to go. But maybe not. That's why I'm throwing it out there for consideration.

I really like your solar panel setup. I guess I really need to think about what kind of panels and how many I am going to need before I get too far into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross
I would make sure you can have a safe way of working with all that gear in bad weather - a stern rail would help for sure.
The radar mast could provide additional stability and rigidity to the arch (third leg, so to speak. I might also incorporate stubs leading aft to allow for a potential windvane installation later.
Exactly. Great idea. That's why I'm thinking that I should try to figure out all the details ahead of time.

Thanks everyone for the input. It really helps.
What I'm going to try to do is find someone that can actually draw or use a computer drawing program (I can't), and have them try to illustrate the ideas that you all are coming up with.

I did sign up to visit the yahoo site and am currently awaiting approval. You're right Caleb. pita)
I am curious to see how or if others have addressed this issue of too much cool stuff and too small a boat to put it on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 04-25-2013
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 509
Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Nice Boat!

Get on the Yahoo Group. Very good support group for Nor'sea owners. I have the rare aft-cockpit.

There are some pictures of other boats in the group. The radar on mine is mounted on top of a pole on the stern rail. I'm looking at possibilities for solar or wind in the future, along with other projects. I'm trying to document my work on my blog (see signature below).

The pictures on the Yahoo group can be helpful for ideas. See if you can find pictures of the Nor'sea 27, Daphne. It's been sold to someone else but the previous owner, Teresa, still has pictures floating around somewhere online. Try looking at her current site, Sailing Simplicity, I'm sure there's still info about Daphne there. Her husband, Ben, also used to have a Nor'sea 27 and owned a BCC after that. Teresa had a simple arch with Solar and a wind vane. Again, more ideas. Even with this simple arch, it still looked pretty good.

Of course, the guys at the Yahoo group do like seeing "boat porn" of other Nor'seas so you can post some more pictures there too.

I've had my boat for a year and learning a lot about it. I enjoy seeing what others have done to their boats. Let me know if there's anything else I may be able to help with.
knothead and Captainmeme like this.
__________________
Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell

Last edited by Rhapsody-NS27; 04-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 04-25-2013
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar
Daniel - Norsea 27
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 509
Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Nor'sea 27 is my dream boat. I just don't have the coin for it.
It's worth it.

I expected to spend around $15k for my first boat but mine came available and spent just over twice that amount. I'm still happy with it.

__________________
Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solent Stay Ideas-Possible hairbrained ideas Joel H. General Discussion (sailing related) 39 01-26-2013 07:09 PM
Any Ideas justified General Discussion (sailing related) 25 10-03-2012 12:33 PM
Any ideas? PaulSims C22 7 06-30-2012 12:40 PM
Ideas frozenkim Cruising and Sailing with Children 17 07-03-2010 07:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.