Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

I often wondered about making solar power connections water tight if the panels are removable. Do you wrap them every time they are reconnected? Corrosion and salt deposits can cause loss of panel efficiency and even eventual failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I often wondered about making solar power connections water tight if the panels are removable. Do you wrap them every time they are reconnected? Corrosion and salt deposits can cause loss of panel efficiency and even eventual failure.
I think you can coat the connector pins and sockets with silicon grease. We manufacture outdoor equipment with an Ethernet connector and use Nyogel to coat the contacts.
Old 04-26-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
How about this approach. here's what we did on Haleakula

Radar Pole on the stern with all you antennae/ stern light on a hoop , radar, engine hoist incorporated. It also can serve as a detachable engine hoist ( Check out the Garhauer System. You could also incorporate a wind generator on top of the radar.

For the solar a set of Garhauer davits on the stern keeps the windage down and the panels unshaded . You have the added advantage of having the davit usage when in port and not passage making.

None of this affects the traveler or the aesthetic lines of the fine looking boat.

Dave
I do like the idea of a pole for the wind gen and radar. But I'm also thinking that an arch will give me a spot for the traveler.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this. Especially since I really can't afford all the stuff on my wish list at this point anyway. I'm just thinking that if I plan it all out ahead of time instead of piecemealing it as I go along, I'll end up with a nicer arrangement.
An associate suggested mocking up something out of PVC pipe and door skins. I think that's probably a good approach in that I'll have a good idea what it looks like.

I just ordered almost $500. worth of bronze for new chainplates so I'll have plenty to do for awhile.

I do thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

I'm going to try to log into the Nor'Sea site on Yahoo and ask if I can get more pics of "Galena"
Old 04-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
To Jon Eisberg: What size are those panels and do they provide all the power you need?
I like the idea of pointing the panels as required and that they can be stowed below when not needed.
Those are 35 watt panels, I have a third that lives permanently under the boom, on top of the sea hood... It's often shaded, however, so generally doesn't contribute much...

You really want some ability to articulate the panels, the dividends that can pay are huge... Lots of cruisers spending their first winter in the Bahamas, for example, are surprised how ineffective permanently mounted horizontal panels can be, for much of the day...

I used these from Magma, primarily because they're stainless...

Here's another view, lots of wide angle distortion in this pic, the height of the pole is exaggerated a bit, I usually use a shorter extension...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I use these connectors from Aqua Signal for my solar, wind, and water generator... You have to keep an eye on them, but they've performed very well over the years...

If you're doing solar, I think you definitely want to invest in an MPPT controller, such as the Solar Boost from Blue Sky... Well worth it, IMHO...

Blue Sky Energy Inc. | Solar Boost 2000E
knothead and krisscross like this.
Old 04-26-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Do you have a community college where you live? If so they probably have both a drafting (CAD) and a drawing (fine arts) program. Many community colleges love to partner with local people and businesses to get their students real world experineces in their chosen field. I would start with the drawing class and see if there is a student that would work with you to "shape out" your concepts and put them onto drawings of your boat, all views. From there you could go to CAD drawings, expanding and shrinking as necessary to get the deminsions you want.
Given you don't need to start bending metal tomorrow, you might get a good product and meet some interesting people along the way.
Also, students work for very low wages and an agreed compensation plan will be a win-win situation.
knothead likes this.
Old 04-26-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
An associate suggested mocking up something out of PVC pipe and door skins. I think that's probably a good approach in that I'll have a good idea what it looks like.
Even before doing that (which is almost a must in order to get precise measurements for custom fabrication) I would experiment with various small scale layouts using sticks, playdough, and electric tape to hold them together. Having a small model of your boat would help too, especially to visualize the proportions.

I am planning to use this method to create some sort of a rack/support system over the cockpit to keep my kayak (which acts as my dink) and my 14 foot stand up paddle board out of the way.
knothead likes this.
Old 04-26-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Do you have a community college where you live? If so they probably have both a drafting (CAD) and a drawing (fine arts) program. Many community colleges love to partner with local people and businesses to get their students real world experiences in their chosen field. I would start with the drawing class and see if there is a student that would work with you to "shape out" your concepts and put them onto drawings of your boat, all views. From there you could go to CAD drawings, expanding and shrinking as necessary to get the dimensions you want.
Given you don't need to start bending metal tomorrow, you might get a good product and meet some interesting people along the way.
Also, students work for very low wages and an agreed compensation plan will be a win-win situation.
What a fantastic idea. Thanks. One of my customers is a teacher at the local college. Not sure if it's a community college or not, but it's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross
Even before doing that (which is almost a must in order to get precise measurements for custom fabrication) I would experiment with various small scale layouts using sticks, playdough, and electric tape to hold them together. Having a small model of your boat would help too, especially to visualize the proportions.

I am planning to use this method to create some sort of a rack/support system over the cockpit to keep my kayak (which acts as my dink) and my 14 foot stand up paddle board out of the way.
Great thinking. I actually have pounds of modeling clay from Spar-Tite kits. No model of my boat though.

I need to get my claws into an artist to help me out with this. I wouldn't have the talent to draw a breath if it required a pencil. Funny that. My dad was a natural when it came to sketching. Obviously not something that's passed down.

I've also been giving more thought to Jon's radar on the spar suggestion. These days the units are much smaller and have fewer wires. I could probably get a plug in connection at the base of the mast for quick disconnecting. I was just thinking about the older cables that had dozens of little tiny wires that would have to be cut and reconnected every time I lower and moved the mast aft.
Old 04-26-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

How about incorporating solar panels into a rigid (non-retractable) Bimini? I've considered this for my boat.

Flexible solar panels also open up a lot of options. Use them as lee cloths. There are also adhesive thin-film solar strips that could look like a racing stripe when attached to the hull.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

davits:

and a pole for radar and wind genny.

Old 04-27-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Greg Delezynski on Guenevere mounts solar panels on pin rails on his shrouds as shown in this link: Guenevere's Solar panel addition. Only uses them in port. Also has amorphous flexible panels that live on the roof of the cabin for use underway and to augment in port electrical needs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.