Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I Need Ideas

I am undertaking some long overdue upgrading on "Jenny Lee" and I could really use some input.
I am thinking about how I could add a place to put a solar panel, maybe a wind generator, and a radar.
I don't want to put the radar on the mast so I'm thinking that everything needs to be aft.
I would really like to leave room for a self steering set up too.
I probably need to rework my main sheet anyway so I'm thinking that I might be able to somehow incorporate a traveler.
I don't want to ruin the lines of the boat, but I'm not sure that an arch or something might not be the way to go.
I'm just drawing a blank as to how to fit all that on this boat.

Anyone interested in helping me think this through?

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: I Need Ideas

Great looking boat, Steve.
I think that a graceful, low arch would go well with the lines of your boat.
Old 04-25-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

My friends Tartan 372 radar is on a mount that that uses the older square Navtech hydraulic backstay and it was worked well over a long period of time

It seems like the only real estate you have to work with is off the stern pulpit and my solar has worked well back there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Great looking boat, Steve.
I think that a graceful, low arch would go well with the lines of your boat.
Thanks. I think an arch might be the way to go, but I'm not sure where. I obviously has to be behind the boom, but I'm thinking that it is going to have to be behind the backstay too. Or just forward of it following the same angle. I suppose it will have to be high enough to be able to pass under it comfortably. Or maybe low enough to be able to put the traveler on top with the solar panels straddling the backstay aft of the traveler. ????

I've printed a copy of the picture and am going to try to sketch something out to get started.
Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
My friends Tartan 372 radar is on a mount that that uses the older square Navtech hydraulic backstay and it was worked well over a long period of time

It seems like the only real estate you have to work with is off the stern pulpit and my solar has worked well back there
My first thought was to try to use the backstay splits to mount stuff, but when I started thinking about solar panels, the radar, possibly wind generator and wind vane. I realized that the backstay wasn't the answer.
I don't have a stern pulpit, but maybe should consider incorporating that in as well.
I want to make the boat cruise ready, or at least leave places where I can add stuff later without too much trouble.

My trouble is that I have a hard time visualizing things. I usually just start things and they evolve as I go along.
I don't want to take that approach with this.
Old 04-25-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Steve, I did a search at the Nor'sea user group on Yahoo, "Jenny Lee" didn't show up in
the data base. I don't know if you are aware of that group but here is a link.
NorSea27 : NorSea 27 Email Discussion List

A lot of the Nor'seas run panels over the rudder/tiller and have a radar mast on the aft rail. I'll be adding the panels and radar but not the wind generator.
Old 04-25-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Nice! I have an old friend with one just like it. He has single handed it across the Atlantic twice. He decided radar would be a problem and opted for a radar detector instead. This was before AIS. He made it. It wouldn't help much navigating in the fog but he managed well enough.

I will be interested in what you decide to do. I recently installed radar on a stern mounted mast a la a post here by rikhall. Works great and may become part of a support system for solar panels. I hated adding to the look of the boat but having eyes in the fog is much safer. I am struggling with putting an anchor roller on the bow. It will look like a huge ugly growth! I am getting old enough to feel the need to make hauling the hook and dealing with its chain simpler.

Good luck,

Down
Old 04-25-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Steve,

I thought you were in St. Pete but your "Jenny Lee" still says San Francisco, CA on the side? Confession: the home port on my boat's transom does not really reflect the truth either!

Captainmeme has a pretty good idea. Join the Nor'sea 27' group on Yahoo. It is free but you need to sign up for a Yahoo id first. Minor pita.
Once you have joined the group you can look at all the pictures that other owners have posted of their Nor'sea 27's. Undoubtedly other owners have pondered similar questions and implemented "upgrades" for radar, solar, wind generators that will show in their pictures. You should be able to see what various implementations look like without actually having to do them yourself.

Everybody has one:

Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Steve, I did a search at the Nor'sea user group on Yahoo, "Jenny Lee" didn't show up in
the data base. I don't know if you are aware of that group but here is a link.
NorSea27 : NorSea 27 Email Discussion List

A lot of the Nor'seas run panels over the rudder/tiller and have a radar mast on the aft rail. I'll be adding the panels and radar but not the wind generator.
Hey Captain, thanks for the link. I vaguely remember visiting that site years ago. I never joined though. I'll check it out.
I've always thought a stern pulpit would be a good addition but never did anything about it.

The boat has really just been used for day sailing for the last twenty years or so. I've not upgraded anything except for the rigging, engine, fuel tank, cushions and windlass.
I've decided that it's time to bite the bullet and get her ready to cruise again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450
Nice! I have an old friend with one just like it. He has single handed it across the Atlantic twice. He decided radar would be a problem and opted for a radar detector instead. This was before AIS. He made it. It wouldn't help much navigating in the fog but he managed well enough.

I will be interested in what you decide to do. I recently installed radar on a stern mounted mast a la a post here by rikhall. Works great and may become part of a support system for solar panels. I hated adding to the look of the boat but having eyes in the fog is much safer. I am struggling with putting an anchor roller on the bow. It will look like a huge ugly growth! I am getting old enough to feel the need to make hauling the hook and dealing with its chain simpler.

Good luck,

Down
I added a small windlass a few years ago and I love it. I made the decision when I had to anchor in Gatun Lake and spent an hour or so dead lifting 60+ feet of chain and anchor aboard. It would probably take me two hours today.
I have a friend with the AIS system and it seems great. But I, not being as manly as your friend, am still thinking that I would like the radar because of the alarm option for single handing. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age.
Old 04-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Steve,

I thought you were in St. Pete but your "Jenny Lee" still says San Francisco, CA on the side? Confession: the home port on my boat's transom does not really reflect the truth either!

Captainmeme has a pretty good idea. Join the Nor'sea 27' group on Yahoo. It is free but you need to sign up for a Yahoo id first. Minor pita.
Once you have joined the group you can look at all the pictures that other owners have posted of their Nor'sea 27's. Undoubtedly other owners have pondered similar questions and implemented "upgrades" for radar, solar, wind generators that will show in their pictures. You should be able to see what various implementations look like without actually having to do them yourself.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to do that.
Regarding the hailing port, I believe that because she is documented I'm required to keep the original. But to be honest, I haven't inquired. They keep sending my documentation every year so I've not questioned it.